• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blewnote1

Reaction score
I think the amplitude of your outfits is quite large. I naturally understand the need to dress in a more conservative direction from your baseline but I'm very curious about what pushes you to "go mad" as you put it?

I think if anyone could pull off an outfit like this one, it'd be you, but still it is unique and fair to assume it's not rooted in any sort of menswear tradition?

I'd argue that it's very much rooted in menswear tradition. It's just not business attire. I think an outfit like this would fit in perfectly among the images of resort wear from the 1930s/1940s that I love to peruse.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite the boldness of some of my get ups, I rarely feel conspicuous. It’s New York City after all. Today, not going to lie, I felt a little conspicuous. I still absolutely love this outfit. I think white socks would have been better, but only these pink ones were clean.

View attachment 1966583
View attachment 1966579
View attachment 1966585
View attachment 1966587
View attachment 1966589
View attachment 1966581

The pink socks look great. With a light blue jacket this would be a lovely outfit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike madras generally, but it can get easily "conspicuous", as you said, especially that patchwork design you seem so fond of.

A madras cloth (Fox) I really love.

Screenshot (346).png

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Coronation shopping bag I got at Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica and me at Trader Joe's on Olympic and Stoner in Sawtelle (West Los Angeles).

IMG_5150.jpeg

Polo Ralph Lauren blue blazer, Polo Golf Argyle sweater vest, Brooks Brothers OCBD shirt, BB#1 stripe tie, pocket square, and trousers, and Allen-Edmonds white suede shoes.

Close up of the shoes.

IMG_5144.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Coronation shopping bag I got at Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica and me at Trader Joe's on Olympic and Stoner in Sawtelle (West Los Angeles).

View attachment 1966629

Polo Ralph Lauren blue blazer, Polo Golf Argyle sweater vest, Brooks Brothers OCBD shirt, BB#1 stripe tie, pocket square, and trousers, and Allen-Edmonds white suede shoes.

Close up of the shoes.

View attachment 1966635
I see that sign placement...cheeky little bugger, Roy.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the amplitude of your outfits is quite large. I naturally understand the need to dress in a more conservative direction from your baseline but I'm very curious about what pushes you to "go mad" as you put it?

I think if anyone could pull off an outfit like this one, it'd be you, but still it is unique and fair to assume it's not rooted in any sort of menswear tradition?
I only use the word mad because of the alliteration with madras. The simple answer to your questions is I think it looks dope. I understand that it may be a little out of place in some/many/all contexts, but I love it as a purely artistic composition. A swirl of pastels. A patchwork of plaids. Columns of seersucker.

I think my style has Ivy, trad, and preppy roots. I grew up in the South in the 80s and 90s, following Polo, Brooks Brothers, Tommy Hilfiger, etc. I feel my attire is in keeping with those brands or at least how they once represented themselves during that time period. It’s in keeping with an American tradition of clothing. It may seem odd yet familiar to the uninitiated, but it’s a thing. That’s kind of how I feel about French tailoring.

Adhazem

Reaction score
We took our tailor out for far, far too much steak this evening to wrap up his visit. I think he understands why we need to keep adding a cm here and there to our orders.
View attachment 1966735
Always good to see @Adhazem and to meet @heldentenor in the wild.
Haha. Always a good time meeting up. Glad I didn’t get fitted for this visit. Say…40 lbs by September is attainable no?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd argue that it's very much rooted in menswear tradition. It's just not business attire. I think an outfit like this would fit in perfectly among the images of resort wear from the 1930s/1940s that I love to peruse.

I only use the word mad because of the alliteration with madras. The simple answer to your questions is I think it looks dope. I understand that it may be a little out of place in some/many/all contexts, but I love it as a purely artistic composition. A swirl of pastels. A patchwork of plaids. Columns of seersucker.

I think my style has Ivy, trad, and preppy roots. I grew up in the South in the 80s and 90s, following Polo, Brooks Brothers, Tommy Hilfiger, etc. I feel my attire is in keeping with those brands or at least how they once represented themselves during that time period. It’s in keeping with an American tradition of clothing. It may seem odd yet familiar to the uninitiated, but it’s a thing. That’s kind of how I feel about French tailoring.

Thanks for explaining, this makes sense to me. Of course, not something I'd be brave enough to even attempt but it goes to show how our backgrounds inform the way we dress.

My comment on not being rooted in menswear tradition was more of a question really as I fully admit to be uninitiated in the time period and place the outfit represents. Where's DWW to post a whole bunch of old pictures when you need him!?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining, this makes sense to me. Of course, not something I'd be brave enough to even attempt but it goes to show how our backgrounds inform the way we dress.

My comment on not being rooted in menswear tradition was more of a question really as I fully admit to be uninitiated in the time period and place the outfit represents. Where's DWW to post a whole bunch of old pictures when you need him!?

My same feeling, I would never wear that patchwork madras, but it's a clear reference to that style and culture that informs every AAS's outfit, which I'm rather unaware of.

What disconcerts me though is that I mostly like his attires and how nicely and sensibly he combines garments and colours, so it's always a shock when I see something that is so far away from my taste.

Last edited:

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Embrace the wrinkles it adds character and personality. At least that is how I view it. Almost like broken in denim jeans.
Generally I agree with you, but I don’t like how this linen suit wrinkles, it’s probably a bit hard to describe, but I like how linen wrinkles in some of my other linen piece but not this one.

(But to be fair, I worn it for like 8 hours in office and 1 hour driving.. it’s kind of unreasonable to expect much lol)

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads