• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing in front of the only surviving Brooks Brothers store in Los Angeles County, the itsy bitsy teenie weenie Brooks Brothers store in the Beverly Center.

IMG_1223.jpeg

Brooks Brothers Brookstweed jacket, PPBD shirt, and BB#1 stripe tie, Robert Talbott pocket square, Leather Man belt, L L Bean corduroy trousers, and Allen-Edmonds saddle shoes.

Yes, I know my hands are in my pockets. Hoping to start a new trend on Styleforum. Like almost all my hopes for the past four years it will probably turn out to be a false hope.

Walked from the Beverly Center to The Grove and back, stopping at DuPar's in the Farmer's Market to get a slice of apple pie to celebrate Pi Day (3.14) Better late than never. They ran out of forks yesterday so I have a spoon.

That's the Shaving Octopus Barber Shop behind me. Have never been there. Been going to Little Joe (on Wilshire and Camden) since the late seventies.

IMG_1165.jpeg

Last edited:

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think there is a strong correlation between digits of pi known and success at math. Otherwise my top two pi reciters (214 and 253) would have much better grades in my class. I think it’s a good exercise in “you can do whatever you put your mind to”. If you can memorize 200 digits of pi, a seemingly random string of digits, why can’t you remember the double angle identities which are not random at all. Granted, I didn’t promise cookies for memorizing the double angle identities.

This documentary is for you. It’s fascinating. https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/fermats-last-theorem/

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing in front of the only surviving Brooks Brothers store in Los Angeles County, the itsy bitsy teenie weenie Brooks Brothers store in the Beverly Center.

View attachment 1766827

Brooks Brothers Brookstweed jacket, PPBD shirt, and BB#1 stripe tie, Robert Talbott pocket square, Leather Man belt, L L Bean corduroy trousers, and Allen-Edmonds saddle shoes.

Yes, I know my hands are in my pockets. Hoping to start a new trend on Styleforum. Like almost all my hopes for the past four years it will probably turn out to be a false hope.

Walked from the Beverly Center to The Grove and back, stopping at DuPar's in the Farmer's Market to get a slice of apple pie to celebrate Pi Day (3.14) Better late than never. They ran out of forks yesterday so I have a spoon.

That's the Shaving Octopus Barber Shop behind me. Have never been there. Been going to Little Joe (on Wilshire and Camden) since the late seventies.

I feel your pain.

Brooks Brothers was very popular in Chicago, where business dress tended towards the classic and conservative side. The beautiful stores on the Magnificent Mile, near the Chicago Board of Trade in the Loop and in the Oak Brook shopping center have all closed. The location in the Old Orchard shopping center is the only proper Brooks Brothers store in the area.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather today in NYC is sunny and mild - a foretaste of spring in the last week of calendrical winter - and I have a lecture to attend early this evening at the Frick Madison, a perfect conjunction of weather and occasion for which to dress up a bit. Today's suit was something of a "love at first sight" acquisition - I fell for it immediately upon trying on the jacket, and its rust windowpane sent me on another shopping journey to acquire ties to coordinate.

The mildness of the weather encourages me to skip an overcoat for this evening, and I am indulging in a bit of experimentation, wearing the scarf inside my jacket as shown.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ashear
Boots - Grenson Masterpiece private label for Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird, London
Scarf - Ede & Ravenscroft

IMG_6995.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG
IMG_6991.JPG
IMG_6992.JPG
IMG_6993.JPG
IMG_6994.JPG

loarbmhs

Reaction score

View attachment 1766827

View attachment 1766837
Brooks Brothers lost their way nearly two decades ago. Such a same, for those of us who like understated, classic clothes. RIP, BB.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the Soft Roma (I think that's the bigger BD) collar? Looks dern good. I don't like the SR cutaway, but think the overall dimensions would be great for a BD collar. Certainly when open necked, but looks good with a tie here, as well.
Yeah, Soft Roma BD. I initially thought it was too big. It's growing on me. I like it open with a jacket, but feel is too big to be worn open without a jacket. A bit unwieldy.

monkey66

Reaction score
Back in Somerset today.

The sun has said hello and whilst not warm yet (solid rain all day yesterday) there is a whiff of spring to enjoy. My silly socks are a reflection of that. I also thought they did an ok job of letting the chocolate brown cords and the Bordeaux shoes play nicely.

New to me Shibumi tie (a bit loose but I only noticed after the photo's and was not going to redo them) ...just about green enough for SPD?
P1020253 copy.jpg

P1020258 copy.jpg

P1020271 copy.jpg

P1020284 copy.jpg

P1020255 copy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads