• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree full windsor almost always looks bad.
But just as bad IMO is the ridiculous double FIH done in a way which exposes the double roll. I’ve never seen this anywhere other than on SF and to me it’s and indicator of sheep mentality - doing something without question that looks crap but is done just coz everyone else is doing it.
Likewise the side by side blades or the longer back blade.
It baffles me why so many grown men who appear to be concerned about their appearance struggle to manage a task that most boys of my generation learned, with a bit of help from their dads or big brothers, when we were in the infants school.
Are you an X-Man? You have an uncanny ability to read peoples mind through the internet and really get at the heart of their intentions and motivations. That must really come in handy.

I tie a double four in hand knot and it has nothing to do with the internet as much as my height and the length of my ties. If I tie a four in hand with the tip of my time ending at my belt, the rear blade is almost always too long. The double four in hand makes the back blade shorter. Despite that, the rear blade is still sometimes too long with a double four in hand knot. So I either have to wear my tie so the front blade is much lower or let the back blade be longer. Lastly, I could buy shorter ties, but I find them harder to come by. This is my reality. Some how, life goes on. Don't assume that people CAN'T do something because they DON'T.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you an X-Man? You have an uncanny ability to read peoples mind through the internet and really get at the heart of their intentions and motivations. That must really come in handy.

I tie a double four in hand knot and it has nothing to do with the internet as much as my height and the length of my ties. If I tie a four in hand with the tip of my time ending at my belt, the rear blade is almost always too long. The double four in hand makes the back blade shorter. Despite that, the rear blade is still sometimes too long with a double four in hand knot. So I either have to wear my tie so the front blade is much lower or let the back blade be longer. Lastly, I could buy shorter ties, but I find them harder to come by. This is my reality. Some how, life goes on. Don't assume that people CAN'T do something because they DON'T.
I refer the honourable gentleman to previous posts made by the diminutive @Roycru on this matter.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But just as bad IMO is the ridiculous double FIH done in a way which exposes the double roll. I’ve never seen this anywhere other than on SF and to me it’s and indicator of sheep mentality - doing something without question that looks crap but is done just coz everyone else is doing it.

Well I do this knot for many years and I like it. The best among all the other knots to me. How this is crap is beyond me.

dsc01211.jpg

dsc02812.jpg

32485342267_f2b56099fc_b.jpg

47172599231_9042b1863a_b.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I refer the honourable gentleman to previous posts made by the diminutive @Roycru on this matter.
The blunt chop? :tongue: Yeah, that sounds crazy to me. I have definitely thought about it, but the violence.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A late posting on a rainy day here in NYC. I have a members' party at the Frick early this evening, for which I need to make myself presentable, but, until now, my day has been dominated by exercise and domestic engineering, about which, sartorially, the less said the better. My appearance now at least won't frighten the horses, one hopes . . .

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Cufflinks - The Wallace Collection, London
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - vintage and of unknown origin
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman
Raincoat - Burberry
Scarf - Hickey Freeman
Hat - Weatherproof

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_3717.JPG
IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_3720.JPG

loarbmhs

Reaction score
w o r k i n g / c l a s s

IMG_4486.jpg
Wonderful look overall. Personal preference, but I'd button the buttons on the shirt collar. As is, less devil-may-care sprezzatura, and more an I-didn't-check-mysel-in-the-mirror-before-leaving look.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Thank you.

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I get nervous about messing up the hole stitching.
Don't worry. Just stick it in between the two sides of the stitching. Besides, while the fabric of this jacket is more forgiving, you run the risk of leaving a hole in a tighter woven jacket if you puncture the cloth. Said more simply, much less risk using the button hole—the two sides shouldn't be sewn together, so there should be a gap for the pin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads