• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrFingers

Reaction score
To finish off the year. Happy New Years everyone and thank you for the constant inspiration!
887A4539-6AAD-4231-A76F-D872E8D222A7.jpeg
68A929F8-D014-4C7D-9863-53889C017BAF.jpeg
E7D0AC90-5910-4F9E-A0A9-DE9D45EEA608.jpeg
C3D8E0E3-AFAE-48AC-936A-842F549F87D6.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on people. Patch pockets are as traditional a choice as it comes. They stopped being the standard so large factories would save on material. There is no incongruence at play. You don't like it? Fine. But there is nothing strange about the choice of patch pockets with any kind of suit, power or not. One could say that the other types of pockets are crappy lower denominator features. I wouldn't go as far but please ignore rules that are really irrelevant.

There many great traditional elements of menswear tailored clothing. Patch pockets, gauntlet cuffs, shawl lapels and other things are design elements coherent with many areas of the trade, with some exceptions of course.

Last edited:

Brennenman

Reaction score
Come on people. Patch pockets are as traditional a choice as it comes. They stopped being the standard so large factories would save on material. There is no incongruence at play. You don't like it? Fine. But there is nothing strange about the choice of patch pockets with any kind of suit, power or not.
I mean I have patch pockets on my navy db suit, but I also just purchased a pair of wing tip tassel loafers from ae so I’m not sure if my opinion is valid anymore?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean I have patch pockets on my navy db suit, but I also just purchased a pair of wing tip tassel loafers from ae so I’m not sure if my opinion is valid anymore?

If one's opinion is invalidated by the purchase of wing tip tassel loafers, then my opinion must be invalid as well . . .

IMG_6461.JPG

Brennenman

Reaction score
If one's opinion is invalidated by the purchase of wing tip tassel loafers, then my opinion must be invalid as well . . .

View attachment 1728755
But those are out of style!! I only say that because I Had a young man tell what I wear is for old man and out of style and that if I want to look good, actually sell products at the store, and get a girlfriend I need to dress more fashion forward, little does he realize I’ve been married for a year and a half and I sell plenty of suits on a daily basis, it always cracks me up when people walk into my store and try to give me fashion advice, I’ve learned to not be offended about and just to smile and them and have a good chuckle about it later

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Happy New Year eve gents...Bus Cas wear for the office with more turtle neck/menswear combos in this brown flannel suit and wooly turtle neck..

View attachment 1728601 View attachment 1728602
View attachment 1728624
View attachment 1728625
View attachment 1728626
View attachment 1728627 View attachment 1728628 View attachment 1728629

Suit: RLPL (Flannel)
Turtle Neck: RL Polo
Socks: Panthrella
Shoes: Allen Edmonds (Graysons)
Pocket Square: R Douglas (Wool)
Borrowing from A Chorus Line (Dance 10, Looks 3), I'd say Outfit 10, Photo Background 3. You're one of the most consistently well-dressed gentlemen on this site, but your photos are almost always taken with complicated, messy backgrounds that detract from the fine look of your outfits. It only takes a few minutes to find more simple, uncluttered locations; humbly suggest you search for one for your next post and Happy New Year!

cr2596

Reaction score
But those are out of style!! I only say that because I Had a young man tell what I wear is for old man and out of style and that if I want to look good, actually sell products at the store, and get a girlfriend I need to dress more fashion forward, little does he realize I’ve been married for a year and a half and I sell plenty of suits on a daily basis, it always cracks me up when people walk into my store and try to give me fashion advice, I’ve learned to not be offended about and just to smile and them and have a good chuckle about it later
Being unaffected, as they project their insecurities onto you, is the best response. I see it in their eyes and body language, when they begin to realize. It’s fun. Keep on, man.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is, for today, relatively mild and dry, albeit overcast, though, by the first hours of 2022, it will be mild, but wet, then much colder by Monday. As it is, my husband and I are having a gala, if early dinner, locally, then will retreat to home, where we shall watch the light show of changing lights on the Empire State Building from the comfort of our living room.

This evening's jacket is the latest of the COVID-era purchases of evening wear.

Dinner jacket - New & Lingwood
Tuxedo trousers - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Cummerbund - vintage, no label
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Studs - no name brand
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue
Overcoat & scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Lock, London

IMG_6641.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG
IMG_6637.JPG
IMG_6638.JPG
IMG_6639.JPG
IMG_6640.JPG

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about those of us who wear old Florsheim Imperial (Made In The USA) kiltie wing tip tassel loafers as house slippers?

Would never wear brown shoes with a grey glen plaid suit but do wear brown shoes (as in this picture) with grey glen plaid pajamas.

IMG_0586.jpeg

Earlier today in a forest of bonsai trees.

IMG_0555.jpeg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket and CCCCBD* shirt, Lands' End tie, Lyle & Scott sweater vest, Squarexraordinaire pocket square, L L Bean trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with Karaage Curry Rice picture.

IMG_0582.jpeg

The curry part shows up better from the other side of it.

IMG_0581.jpeg

Although, as I said at the start of this post, would not wear brown shoes with a grey glen plaid suits, would wear brown shoes (as I did today) with taupe corduroy trousers.

IMG_0535.jpeg

All these maneki-nekos and I wish everyone a lucky and prosperous new year.

IMG_0584.jpeg

* Country Club Cotton Cashmere

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I joke and I jest but I don't go around telling people what they should and should not wear. This would be a very boring site if everybody had the same aesthetics. I am not one to take myself too seriously. I am also not (North) American, so the appeal of loafers is lost on me. At the end of the day, almost all the best members in the group wear these damn things, so we bow and like their ensembles, as we should. And yes, there is a formal ranking that you receive after a certain number of comments; wanna continue posting? Know who the bosses are.

On another subject, @DonRaphael's analysis is a very thoughtful one. His comparison of my suit with @Markus W was spot on. I disagree with him about the suitability of patch pockets on power suits or other relatively formal suits but I mean no disrespect.

What about those of us who wear old Florsheim Imperial (Made In The USA) kiltie wing tip tassel loafers as house slippers?

Would never wear brown shoes with a grey glen plaid suit but do wear brown shoes (as in this picture) with grey glen plaid pajamas.

View attachment 1728974

Earlier today in a forest of bonsai trees.

View attachment 1728975

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket and CCCCBD* shirt, Lands' End tie, Lyle & Scott sweater vest, Squarexraordinaire pocket square, L L Bean trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with Karaage Curry Rice picture.

View attachment 1728976

The curry part shows up better from the other side of it.

View attachment 1728977

Although, as I said at the start of this post, would not wear brown shoes with a grey glen plaid suits, would wear brown shoes (as I did today) with taupe corduroy trousers.

View attachment 1728982

All these maneki-nekos and I wish everyone a lucky and prosperous new year.

View attachment 1728983

* Country Club Cotton Cashmere

Last edited:

MattyS

Reaction score
The weather in NYC is, for today, relatively mild and dry, albeit overcast, though, by the first hours of 2022, it will be mild, but wet, then much colder by Monday. As it is, my husband and I are having a gala, if early dinner, locally, then will retreat to home, where we shall watch the light show of changing lights on the Empire State Building from the comfort of our living room.

View attachment 1728898
I love everything about this. A few questions:

1. Are those patent leather monkstrap shoes?

2. Where did you get the lovely suspenders?

3. Sadly, I couldn't find that jacket on the New & Lingwood website. Did you purchase it online?

Father Style

Reaction score
Had a nice, relaxing, celebratory NYE dinner with the wife after putting the kiddos to bed.
My NYE tradition every year is to watch the Twilight Zone marathon. I've been doing it since I was a kid. My personal resolution each year is to lead the kind of life that wouldn't get me punished in a Twilight Zone episode.
As always, apologies for the awful lighting. It looked ok to me at the time, but that was after a few glasses of champagne. Hard to tell, but the jacket is a deep navy with burgundy check.

1.1.2022 v2.JPG 1.1.2022.JPG

fatherstyle.com

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love everything about this. A few questions:

1. Are those patent leather monkstrap shoes?

2. Where did you get the lovely suspenders?

3. Sadly, I couldn't find that jacket on the New & Lingwood website. Did you purchase it online?

Happy New Year, and thank you for the compliments.

Answering your questions in order, them . .

1. - Yesterday's shoes are indeed patent leather monk straps, which were a sale item at the short-lived branch of Saks at Brookfield Place, which was in easy proximity to my former office.

2 - Yesterday's suspenders came from the Piccadilly Arcade branch of New & Lingwood, acquired on one my many trips to London.

3 - Yesterday's jacket was a sale item at New & Lingwood in NYC, in September 2021. I happened into the shop, saw the jacket, and said to myself, "I need to try that one, even though I don't think that it will fit." Annoyingly enough, it did, and was so heavily marked down that I could not avoid owning it. I have no idea if it were an item of ready-to-wear, or an MTM item that was rejected by its original commissioner, as was the extravagant peacock Nehru jacket I bought under similar circumstances in September 2020. A picture of that particular beast appears below:

IMG_5515.JPG

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member