• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the one of the most American fits I have ever seen. Superbly done!
:rotflmao:
Thanks! I think I would need a button down shirt to make it the most American. Sadly, it wasn't clean today, but that would have been my preference.

RajunCajun

Reaction score
Here's to a satisfying week, gents.

20210531_150522.jpg

20210531_150716.jpg

20210531_191030.jpg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before the pandemic there was something in Los Angeles called Chamber Music In Historic Places. Hope it comes back after the pandemic.

Meanwhile, there's still Styleforum pictures in historic places, in this case at the Howard Hughes Headquarters on Romaine Street in Hollywood.

IMG_6790.jpeg

Brooks Brothers jacket, ecru PPBD shirt, and tie, Squarextraordinaire pocket sqare, Trafalgar alligator belt, Orvis trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with apple walnut tea cake and hot chocolate at Tartine Sycamore in Hollywood picture.

IMG_6791.jpeg

After eating walked to De Longpre Park to see the Rudolph Valentino Memorial. Don't think it looks anything like him.

IMG_6800.jpeg

Last Friday on the way to the barber shop walked past the Dior store on Rodeo Drive. Tapped on the yellow thing wrapped around the palm tree to see what it was made from. It's made from plastic.

192661771_10159236871333396_2188733811866284500_n.jpg

Found out these things were made by an artist called Kenny Scharf. Also found out he went to my old school, which is a few blocks southwest of here, twelve years after I was there.

Kenny Scharf has collaborated with Dior to design some products. Looked online to see what they were.

Found this shirt. It's $1850.00.

Don't think any of us ever spent that much for a shirt. Wonder if Dior sells many of them?

"The Grand Illusion"

Eric Von Stroheim's star and my shoes on Hollywood Blvd.

IMG_6775.jpeg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before the pandemic there was something in Los Angeles called Chamber Music In Historic Places. Hope it comes back after the pandemic.

Meanwhile, there's still Styleforum pictures in historic places, in this case at the Howard Hughes Headquarters on Romaine Street in Hollywood.

View attachment 1621615

Brooks Brothers jacket, ecru PPBD shirt, and tie, Squarextraordinaire pocket sqare, Trafalgar alligator belt, Orvis trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with apple walnut tea cake and hot chocolate at Tartine Sycamore in Hollywood picture.

View attachment 1621616

After eating walked to De Longpre Park to see the Rudolph Valentino Memorial. Don't think it looks anything like him.

View attachment 1621617

Last Friday on the way to the barber shop walked past the Dior store on Rodeo Drive. Tapped on the yellow thing wrapped around the palm tree to see what it was made from. It's made from plastic.

View attachment 1621618

Found out these things were made by an artist called Kenny Scharf. Also found out he went to my old school, which is a few blocks southwest of here, twelve years after I was there.

Kenny Scharf has collaborated with Dior to design some products. Looked online to see what they were.

Found this shirt. It's $1850.00.

Don't think any of us ever spent that much for a shirt. Wonder if Dior sells many of them?

"The Grand Illusion"

Eric Von Stroheim's star and my shoes on Hollywood Blvd.

View attachment 1621619

Roycru posts are definitely one of my favourites. Always with an individual style, and a great story to go with it. Well done!

WhereNext

Reaction score
Just filed a complaint with the moderators! Another comment like that and I will move mountains to get you banned from SF.

But seriously, if I can help in any way, let me know. One earlier mistake from one of my tailors was creating a half-gauntlet cuff, instead of having it wrap it up all the way. As for width, unless you want to fiddle with button placement in the jacket, the gauntlet cuffs can't be very wide. There is a limited distance between the buttons and the end of the sleeves for a well-balanced jacket.

I don't think there is much variation in the gauntlet cuffs of my jackets, but if you want me to take a couple of pics for your reference, hit me up with a DM.

I've been kicked out of better/worse places than this!
I think you're spot on about the balance issue, which is what I've been noodling on the most; it also matters that the two cases I'm thinking about using a gauntlet for are different: an overcoat (where the gauntlet would be the same fabric) and a velvet dinner jacket (where the gauntlet might be the same fabric or could be satin/grosgrain depending on how I do the lapels). The obvious contrast of two different materials vs. a "self faced" gauntlet may make the same width look quite different; similarly, it would likely appear differently if it's a lighter colored fabric than something quite dark.
From looking at pictures online, I think I'd like a slightly wider gauntlet, which brings the positioning of the buttons into question, as you note. That may be unsolvable, or perhaps a button could be positioned before the gauntlet finishes (I would go with single button sleeves on dinner jackets; for the overcoat, I tend to prefer no sleeve buttons, so wouldn't really be an issue), though I've yet to see an example, good or bad, of that to get a clear picture in my head. It may also be possible that even just moving the buttons further up the sleeve 1/4 inch or so might be enough for me to like the gauntlet width without causing the button to appear too far up the sleeve as to be odd.
Much to consider, but thanks for your pictures and thoughts!

monkey66

Reaction score
This tie is a curiosity. It is a Silk/linen blend and a little iridescent. It changes colour in different light. It is khaki green but looks brown in the photo's and shimmers blue in sunlight.

The shoes are an unusual pair of Cheney Imperial x Gieves and Hawkes.

P1010499 copy.jpg

P1010501 copy.jpg

P1010512 copy.jpg

induere_to

Reaction score
I struggled through homelessness for four years. A good portion of that was in the Fresno/Yosemite region of California. The recent heat wave up here in Toronto has unearthed many memories. Beautiful country, though.

CF76F82F-D4BB-45EB-8D6E-1C4F8E6EF59F.jpeg

0F5239A5-B1A7-4180-A732-792F83F4C5F9.jpeg

C6BEF181-3084-4569-BE00-400A73B40C4B.jpeg

86BF2168-869A-4EAE-873E-06482E57E14B.jpeg

BE95BE44-BB85-4D1D-B25C-C0A2627A5675.jpeg

F23B738E-155C-46D3-BC22-9071213BD999.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads