• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure why this jacket appears short, because I've measured and it's exactly the same length as all my others—long enough to fully cover the seat. For instance, this navy one is the same length (and identical measurements and cut), but appears longer somehow. So I'm not sure what it is about the green one... Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep this in mind especially next time I have a suit made. For something smarter (rather than the more casual Neopolitan jacket), I agree that I'd want a bit more length.

View attachment 1600039

1619457734404.png
1619457757421.png

To my eye, this jacket and the green appear to be the same length. Look at your right thumb in both pics for reference. I think they both look fine, but I'd say they both are on the shorter side. I'm sure your rear is covered. No need for booty shots.

jdhoop

Reaction score
View attachment 1600138 View attachment 1600139
To my eye, this jacket and the green appear to be the same length. Look at your right thumb in both pics for reference. I think they both look fine, but I'd say they both are on the shorter side. I'm sure your rear is covered. No need for booty shots.
Yeah it's a very subtle thing, maybe more of something I noticed when the jackets are unbuttoned. I'm just happy that S&M jackets fit me so well off the rack, no alterations—TBH they're a better fit than any MTM jacket I've ordered in the past.

Next I'm planning to do a custom suit from S&M, and for that I'll definitely give it a tad more length. I know Neo-style sport coats tend to be on the shorter side anyway. I appreciate the feedback!

loarbmhs

Reaction score
View attachment 1599919

Spring park walk with some recent acquisitions. Vintage Burberry trench that I found in NOS condition--it's very long and very generously fitting. Banana Republic merino sweater. Epaulet MTM moleskin trousers. Alden monkstraps that are still being broken in. Navy wool GI watch cap. Bombas socks.

You're very lucky finding the Burberry. I've had two of classic khaki greens with camel hair lining in my life. Still babying the newer one, since their updated versions are an abomination compared to the originals and I'll never be able to replace it.

Wear it in good health and try not to get it dry cleaned too much. And if you do, make sure they wrap the leather pieces before cleaning so they don't get damaged, and be very, very careful when they iron it, so you don't get "ghosts" of the interior buttons bleeding through the top of the coat (they need to put little cardboard "washers" around the interior buttons so there's no abrupt falloff around the outside diameter to cause the scarring I've mentioned. If all this sounds extremely picky, it is, and for good reason, because you don't want to mess up the coat. Take it to the best dry cleaners in your area, make sure you explain all of this, and be prepared to spend a lot. And finally, have them treat it with a water-resistant spray when they're done.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
You're very lucky finding the Burberry. I've had two of classic khaki greens with camel hair lining in my life. Still babying the newer one, since their updated versions are an abomination compared to the originals and I'll never be able to replace it.

Wear it in good health and try not to get it dry cleaned too much. And if you do, make sure they wrap the leather pieces before cleaning so they don't get damaged, and be very, very careful when they iron it, so you don't get "ghosts" of the interior buttons bleeding through the top of the coat (they need to put little cardboard "washers" around the interior buttons so there's no abrupt falloff around the outside diameter to cause the scarring I've mentioned. If all this sounds extremely picky, it is, and for good reason, because you don't want to mess up the coat. Take it to the best dry cleaners in your area, make sure you explain all of this, and be prepared to spend a lot. And finally, have them treat it with a water-resistant spray when they're done.

Thanks for the tips! I’m not a fan of the current Burberry lineup. The Burberry flagship store near me in NYC mentioned they’d clean and service coats. So I’ll see if I can take it to them. The fit is probably the most generous of any coat I own. I have been thinking about seeing if I can have it altered a little bit.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I’m not a fan of the current Burberry lineup. The Burberry flagship store near me in NYC mentioned they’d clean and service coats. So I’ll see if I can take it to them. The fit is probably the most generous of any coat I own. I have been thinking about seeing if I can have it altered a little bit.

Neat (didn't know that the store does cleaning). And yes, they are cut very full (part of the look when you cinch/tie the belt at your waist). Obviously, before you play with having it taken in, put on a heavy-weight sport coat to see the maximum bulk you'll have under the coat to see if it still feels too loose. If it were me, I'd just live with it as is, unless it grossly swims on you. Sometimes, alterations make things worse than they were before you started. :)

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Winnie-The-Pooh, out on a blustery day but unlike Winne-The-Pooh, I'm not in the Hundred Acre Wood. I'm on Route 66 in West Los Angeles.

IMG_6461.jpeg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, yellow OCBD shirt, and tie, Polo Ralph Lauren pocket square, Viyella (Made in Scotland 55%/45% blend) sweater vest, L L Bean corduroy trousers, and Allen-Edmonds suede shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with a Teriyaki Chicken Bowl at Marugame Udon on Sawtelle picture.

IMG_6455.jpeg

Noticed this today. These trousers are only about twenty years old. Will continue wearing them. They should last for the rest of my life.

IMG_6465.jpeg

For fans of random Gilbert & Sullivan related pictures posted in this thread,

"The flowers that bloom in the spring, tra la, breathe promise of merry sunshine."

IMG_6464.jpeg

This is on Butler Avenue, just north of Olympic Blvd. in West Los Angeles, across the street from the fire station and fire academy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads