• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by your fondness for Elio de Angelis.

My hero from when I was 12 or so. Not the most succesful F1 driver of his generation by far, but I've always rooted for the underdog. And he was very classy and stylish, a true gentleman.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My hero from when I was 12 or so. Not the most succesful F1 driver of his generation by far, but I've always rooted for the underdog. And he was very classy and stylish, a true gentleman.

At the risk of being screamed at for not talking clothes, i feel the same way about Damon Hill. I covered F1 for many years as a sports writer and now work part time for the Australian Grand Prix, promoting our season-opener which has just been renegotiated for another five years. Yay!!

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The worst I have is a smallish black and white houndstooth sport coat which I have already posted and a similar odd jacket in darkish blue tones.
I did have a louder jacket made up with a black and white PoW check and blue windowpane overcheck but I found I could only wear it with the same set of accessories so I never reached for it.
A PoW could be quite nice, though I suspect one would want a stronger, louder check for it to work (though not too loud; it becomes effeminate at some point for some reason). Paired with a variety of solid ties, might work one in a while in your rotation, no?

The Italian Industrialists are nice, but they have different ambitions then the rest of us mere mortals, and live in different contexts. I like many of their staid fits, but I'm an odd jacket person so need other inspiration too.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A PoW could be quite nice, though I suspect one would want a stronger, louder check for it to work (though not too loud; it becomes effeminate at some point for some reason). Paired with a variety of solid ties, might work one in a while in your rotation, no?

The Italian Industrialists are nice, but they have different ambitions then the rest of us mere mortals, and live in different contexts. I like many of their staid fits, but I'm an odd jacket person so need other inspiration too.

I agree. My coat would have been better without the blue overcheck - it's a larger and stronger PoW than the suit I just posted. Would have also looked good in a light tan or beige colour.
But I already have in the works two pure cashmere jackets - an unlined and unpadded bone plain winter twill and a winter dark brown herringbone similar to Tchoy's a few pages back. I'll have to exercise a bit of fiscal responsibility now, which is not my strong point.
Despite posting mainly suits, I much prefer odd jackets in all seasons.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But I already have in the works two pure cashmere jackets - an unlined and unpadded bone plain winter twill and a winter dark brown herringbone similar to Tchoy's a few pages back.
A navy twill and dark brown herringbone heavy weight: with those two, I'd be set for winter.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
If I may, Herr Cologne, I think you should work on your photo shoots.
Why?! Just look at the picture above. It has no life.
You once posting a picture where you were just walking down some street or were just being yourself.
I think most people here would agree that you know how to dress, but sometimes your pictures are a bit...gloomy.
This is by no means an attempt to bash you or anything. I am just saying.
Tag~

Cool. I pressed F1 on my keyboard and a new tab popped up! This is amazing! Thx.
F1 > NASCAR

Often it really is, but there seems to be a perception here that the more colours the better. I'm not against colour, but really I've never seen so many at once in so many posted outfits.
Again, it is a US preference. I've never seen anything similar in the 50 odd countries I've travelled to and that is not a boast, merely a fact to illustrate a point.
You guys are unique in this regard globally and I suspect would be horrified walking around Rome for example where everyone is virtually monochrome. I ignore the Pitti (ful) parade of clowns in this argument and old men in faded denim on the Amalfi Coast.
I am genuinely surprised that I seem to be about the only one who is put off by this colour crash craze.
You certainly do well on your monochromatic look. So I would like to ask if you are interested in trying things outside your comfort zone. Have a little fun...
fight[1].gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, not strongly patterned as past experience has taught me they are restrictive and hard to match with more than one or two different items.

This I agree with 100%. Louder jackets are definitely more difficult to pair, but I still enjoy having a few, even if the pairings are somewhat limited. I mean, if I have to wear a solid tie, I still have 15 or so ties to choose from. : )

Let's agree to disagree mate.:)

Just to be clear, we are disagreeing about what we think is going on in the minds of people here? Hold the phone! Maybe we should just ask them!

People? Thoughts?

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
DonCologne is doing a fine enough job of getting the point across, the photos are doing the work they are supposed to; any more than that, frankly, is needless.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I may, Herr Cologne, I think you should work on your photo shoots.
Why?! Just look at the picture above. It has no life.
You once posting a picture where you were just walking down some street or were just being yourself.
I think most people here would agree that you know how to dress, but sometimes your pictures are a bit...gloomy.
This is by no means an attempt to bash you or anything. I am just saying.
Tag~

I have nobody who makes the shots for me, so I decide to use a tripod with timer. Since this is the styleforum and not a foto forum I think this should be enough. When I see the pics from the other members here, I think my pics are a little bit above the average.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Often it really is,
but there seems to be a perception here that the more colours the better. I'm not against colour, but really I've never seen so many at once in so many posted outfits.
Again, it is a US preference. I've never seen anything similar in the 50 odd countries I've travelled to and that is not a boast, merely a fact to illustrate a point.
You guys are unique in this regard globally and I suspect would be horrified walking around Rome for example where everyone is virtually monochrome. I ignore the Pitti (ful) parade of clowns in this argument and old men in faded denim on the Amalfi Coast.
I am genuinely surprised that I seem to be about the only one who is put off by this colour crash craze.

I do not share your opinions -- either that monochrome is always good, that monochrome means matchy-matchy of the exact same value and hue (as opposed to, as I did, numerous values and hues within a family), on the number of colors (I see no gray or white (shirt is blue) and what you call orange is a burnt brown), that brown and beige are different colors (vs different shades of the same, neutral color), or that the colors in that fit clash -- but I respect them and your right to express them. And I thank you for your feedback. I remain on the learning curve, so all feedback is helpful.

That being said, because your particular minimalist aesthetic doesn't appeal to me, at least not at this stage of my development, please don't be offended if you don't see me incorporate your feedback. It's not because I don't respect it, it just leads down a path I'm not exploring.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]

Just to be clear, we are disagreeing about what we think is going on in the minds of people here? Hold the phone! Maybe we should just ask them!

People? Thoughts?

(1) I find this thread most informative when it acknowledges and grapples with the diversity of members’ styles and the different social, national, and professional contexts in which they wear their clothes.

(2) I find this thread least informative when it’s used as a mechanism to enforce uniformity. Happily there aren’t many people here who do that, and in any case theirs is a lost cause. See (1), above, for why.

(3) Anyone who claims that everything here is loud, or sedate, or any other single thing, simply hasn’t read the thread. Again, see (1), above.

(4) The fact that something is difficult (be it successfully using a “loud” item or anything else) doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing.

(5) Being threatened by the fact that other people dress differently is not productive.

IMO, YMMV, etc.
smile.gif

Cheers,

Ac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads