HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

A spectre is haunting this thread - the spectre of minimalism... ;)

2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

@GMMcL
    [​IMG]

4. spectre

spectre Senior member

Often it really is, but there seems to be a perception here that the more colours the better. I'm not against colour, but really I've never seen so many at once in so many posted outfits.
    Again, it is a US preference. I've never seen anything similar in the 50 odd countries I've travelled to and that is not a boast, merely a fact to illustrate a point.
    You guys are unique in this regard globally and I suspect would be horrified walking around Rome for example where everyone is virtually monochrome. I ignore the Pitti (ful) parade of clowns in this argument and old men in faded denim on the Amalfi Coast.
    I am genuinely surprised that I seem to be about the only one who is put off by this colour crash craze.

5. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

@TweedProf: You are right with the PS. I often wear the flaps into the pockets, because oudside the pocket flaps will accented my waist too much.

Not much time to enjoy the combo from the afternoon, because my short vacation ends today and the following nightshift I will wear this new Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

6. spectre

spectre Senior member

I'm intrigued by your fondness for Elio de Angelis.

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Perhaps my eyes deceive me, but aren't they besom pockets?

Edit: Yep, deceived.

Cheers,

Ac

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@spectre

Do you have any strongly patterned sports coats? As a teacher in an environment where there is little in the way of ties and suits, except among admin folks, I go for a more staid look so as not to jump out too much (pocket squares are enough of a attention grabber).

Personally, opt for a solid jacket/trousers and then pattern/color it up in the tie and square. But am trying to move towards more strongly patterned jackets.

9. spectre

spectre Senior member

Very nice mix.

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Perhaps they are, looked a bit messy at first glance so I thought that a flap was tucked.

Edit: Didn't notice that DonC answered my question.

11. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

See my statement above: " I often wear the flaps into the pockets, because oudside the pocket flaps will accented my waist too much."

12. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

What am I, chopped liver ?

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I do not agree with that. Well, maybe some people think that, but I dont think its the general MO here. I think a lot of people like colors, and they try and combine them nicely. Sometimes successfully, and sometimes they should take a page from your book and cut down.

Its not that more color = better, in peoples mind, its that they like colors and stuff, so they try and combine them well. But a sharp dresser should know that its about the full picture. More color for the sake of more color and less color for the sake of less color, are both bad imo. The goal should be a combination that is coherent, well executed, and pleasing to the eye, whether its 1 color or 8.

FWIW, I am wearing very few patterns and colors today. I would say only 1 pattern, unless you could the super micro houndstooth suit, then its 2, but I would call it a solid. As to colors, I am also pretty pared down today.

14. spectre

spectre Senior member

No, not strongly patterned as past experience has taught me they are restrictive and hard to match with more than one or two different items.
    The worst I have is a smallish black and white houndstooth sport coat which I have already posted and a similar odd jacket in darkish blue tones.
    I did have a louder jacket made up with a black and white PoW check and blue windowpane overcheck but I found I could only wear it with the same set of accessories so I never reached for it.
    Do any of you read the italian industrialists blog? These guys are to a man restrained and well put together. Perhaps the Italians don't resonate with the Americans as being well dressed. I just don't know.
    Oddly, I find American homes, especially in New England, the most attractive inside and out in the world. Your interior decor in general with a concentration on beige, taupe, mahogany and greys, is always stunning to me, rivalled only by the ultra contemporary minimalist Scandinavian style.

15. spectre

spectre Senior member

Let's agree to disagree mate.:)