1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks! Yeah, the hank could be stuffed in there a bit more.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Today's fit. Sporting a navy shantung courtesy of @Pingson

Cuff got caught in sleeve. No hidden body parts today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16 people like this.
  3. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Man I would love to get me some of that old Reid & Taylor stuff- in a solid, as lite weight as possible, but with that signature R&T hatching - 'drape beautifully, wear like iron, feel like silk'

That's really nice SB, IMO. Thanks for the comments about the tan suit I'll invest in some tan colored socks. I like the fact that that one is not a very saturated color- which works best for my skin tone.

I'm thinking of getting another in the wheat or sand Fresco, or even a very lite grey, but having done some research I'm not sure about a brown in that cloth.
    Foo has argued strongly that it's more suitable for city blues and greys.

1 person likes this.
  5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Just out of curiosity, and not wanting to labour the point, are you explicitly told not to wear a tie? Or is it just a generally accepted thing? I've never worked anywhere where there has been a dress code (apart from the usual 'don't wear torn jeans on casual Friday' guff).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Doesn't Apple have an explicit dress code like that?

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Not the retail locations...my genius bar has a playa who wears a Scottish kilt. Others just look more like bums with hipster haircuts.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I think in corporate they do. As evidenced in guido's transformation some years ago.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

That's who I was thinking of.

1 person likes this.
  10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

It comes up from several ebay fabric vendors now and again, and not at ridiculous prices either.

11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

SB & TP, good stuff.

2 people like this.
  12. spectre

spectre Senior member

Unbelievable! Be like Apple soon, tee shirts and shorts only. Remember Phat Guido...he presumably had to ditch all his carefully made suits and expensive shirts and ties when he joined Apple.
    Weird this, on one hand you have an international mens' style push to be better dressed with lots of websites like this very popular and on the other hand you have formal professions moving away from it - and it's compulsory.
    At least being retired I can dress up as much as I like. As a journalist I was always compromised at press conferences etc, surrounded by people in track pants and sneakers.

Edit: written before I noticed above posts re PG.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

good to know FM. I can imagine a suit cut in R&T but in a modern style would really rok- high gorge, low buttoning, open quarters, flat front

14. sugarbutch

Did you see Slewfoot's brown fresco? It looked pretty damned good to me.

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Still cold enough here for tweed and needlecords (which are navy blue, not black).

[​IMG]

24 people like this.
  16. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

9 people like this.
  17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

1. I hate dress codes of any type.
    2. That said, you can do great things with a no-tie wardrobe that is not intimidating to the "stereotypical client", and that ranges from what @NOBD does (sorta the Fransboone, #menswear casual thing) to something that is much more sleek and modern without looking like you are going to a zombie-apocalpse survival convention, to something that is more streetwear, to something that is more modern mainstream designer. You can even easily stick to traditional fabrics. And because you don't have to wear a tie, ot frees you up to use more unusual fabrics in more atypical shapes. For example, moleskin, usually reserved in CM for trousers, can be used as that, or be used in a jacket (sports or otherwise), or a shirt jacket.

Without knowing more about your company of your clients of your dresscode, it's hard to make concrete suggestions. But I wouldn't take this as a capitulation, but life telling you it's time to change things up a bit. BTW, I'd be happy to have a thread about "casualwear that is not going to make your clients think you are in a death metal band". I know that there is a CM casual thread...

imo, and having a background in both CM and SWD, I think that SWD and casualwear is often harder to do well because of the fluidity. Maybe it's just my mindset, which is vey wild west, but I find that very interesting and exciting.

1 person likes this.
  18. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Alright, thanks Pliny, will keep it in mind! I feel as though the white shirt sticking out from the black knit wouldn't look so great? Or did you mean just having the black stick out more?

19. sugarbutch

So, um, yes? :)
    These are great general suggestions, but I think MF is saying that his company's dress code is a CBD suit, sans tie.

1 person likes this.
  20. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Getting me excited, Pliny! I have a Formosa in that fabric being made that I hope to have in a few months.

2 people like this.