HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think that 'shorter' cuffs would make him appear taller in that picture, but I also don't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a suit and saw that they had cuffs and thought "Huh, those are too short/tall". They're what, 2 inch cuffs? 2.5 inch cuffs?

And yeah, I'm totally open to being wrong. I tend to learn more when I am!

2. spectre

spectre Senior member

Consistent excellence. Best thing I can do is refrain from commenting unless you have an off day, which I know is not going to happen.
    Always a joy to see your outfits, you know precisely how to be understated and elegant yet never boring. I have a bit to learn.

3. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

None of what follows is directed at RTC or indeed any of the postings today. I’m merely taking advantage of the current meta-discussion to offer some thoughts about commentary in this thread.

The comments I find most useful are those which are based upon some agreed-upon norm (however broadly defined) and not mere personal preference or taste. JMHO, YMMV, etc.

To give a personal example, I confess that I do not like pebble-grain split-toe Bluchers. There’s nothing objectively wrong with them and they are certainly an acceptable option within the classic style. They are simply not to my taste, just like I don’t like anchovies on my pizza. I recognize that’s my personal quirk, and I would never negatively comment on them in someone’s fit if they were used in an appropriate overall context.

However, if someone wore a pair of them with a very formal worsted charcoal suit, conservative shirt and understated tie, I might remark that the shoes could be seen as too casual for the rest of the fit. That observation would be independent of my feelings about the shoes in isolation, having to do merely with the assumption of consistency that is a part of classic style.

The comments I find most useful come from those members with a sufficient knowledge of classic style that they know the difference between their personal biases and genuine departures from the norms and assumptions of that style.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

4. spectre

spectre Senior member

Preference I suppose. I have the same width cuffs and would never go smaller.

5. ammanati

ammanati Senior member

This !

6. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If someone could just change my tag to 'Village Idiot' then that'd be great.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

No. You're just learning. -- Thanks for the thumbs yesterday. Here's today. FWIW, I tried a blue shirt and it didn't get along with the blue in the jacket. I've seen lots of you do it, and I can never quite seem to pull it off. Had I had more time, I think I might have chosen a different shirt, but c'est la vie. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. spectre

spectre Senior member

I've been interested in dressing well for 50 years and I'm still learning more about my style and that in general. For most of that time, of course, there was nothing like an internet chat forum to help and receive input.
    The very fact you're here is a major step.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

This looks nice JK. I wasn't going to comment until I noticed the bracelet. Is that a kara and if so why on your left?

11. Kid Nickels

Sometimes I think this #menswear or "GQ made me do it" idea is bullshit. Not disagreeing with you entirely FM, but it's kinda like popular music sucked when I was a kid and I still figured out to listen to Zeppelin and Hendrix instead. It should be pretty obvious that none of that shit looks good.

12. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Great observation. It is in fact a Kara and it's on my right just looks deceiving because of the mirror

13. Kid Nickels

I thought that may have been the case but couldn't remember how the inversion worked when I posted my own shots so I thought it was on your left which is why I asked because I know it is to be worn on the right. Cool.. thanks! And I still liked your combo in the previous fit... elegant and good looking.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

14. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

A rare entry, poor iPad quality images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. aglose

aglose Senior member

[​IMG]
    Please excuse the dirty mirror and bad tie knot, still very much learning how to dress better. I would like feed back however, Shoes are RL Linderick Cordovan. Also, excuse the phone in the pic, was the best I could do.