1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Luger

Luger Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

true dat, it is indeed not in anyway classical dress. tried to class it up with English spread white collar, tried and failed
    Well that's a little harsh. Feel like the A word is exclusive for short-sleeved animal prints

3. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The jacket is unstructured and made in the lightest linen fabric imaginable. It fits more like a shirt than a SC. Perfect for hot and humid weather. But it's tricky to wear with a ps, even a light linen ps as here, since the fabric is so light that the shape of the jacket gets skewed.

SC: Loro Piana
    Shirt: bespoke
    Tie: Vanda
    Ps: Kimber
    Pants: Incotex
    Chukkas: Paraboot
    Disinterested cat: Gaston

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    17 people like this.
  4. AJL

AJL Senior member

Will you be attempting to incorporate the latter into a fit? Wild or domestic? Will make the former seem tame by comparison.

5. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I like the top block, but the bottom is meh, in my opinion. The trousers seem a bit too casual. Scruffy, actually. Regarding pocket squares, I recently picked up a very small Simonnot-Godard white linen (or maybe its cotton, I don't recall) square. It's far too small for a puff-type fold, but it's perfect for showing a couple of points with a jacket like this. I used it yesterday with one of my boating stripe jackets. It doesn't distort the pocket at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sander

Sander Senior member

Thanks; and you don't even know about the most unfair part. Later that day, we wanted to find a place to watch the game (it was Germany - Slovenia) and just figured that some place near the Duomo would have it on. Well, we walked by what felt like at least 49 places (probably like 17 irl) and NONE HAD THE GODDAMN GAME ON. Had to walk 20mins to an English Football Pub in the end. Well, at least the beer was extra delicious then.

2 people like this.
  7. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Walked past a window half filled with lobster shells and since I was wearing a lobster belt, took a picture.

Brooks Brothers blue blazer, pink, blue, and white glen plaid PPBD shirt, and tie, Squarextraordinaire pocket square, Vineyard Vines belt, Orvis trousers, and Allen-Edmonds tan suede Strandmoks.......

[​IMG]

......don't know why the window was half filled with lobster shells. The small brass sign over my shoulder reads ""Please Respect My Shrine".

A close up of the Vineyard Vines (a brand seldom seen posted on Styleforum) belt.

[​IMG]

21 people like this.
  8. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I have the same problem with a lightweight blue linen s/c. I think it's lighter than some of my shirts. End up using a small linen PS ironed into a TV fold. Love the color of your coat, by the way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. coldinboston

coldinboston Senior member

@Roycru vineyard vines is standard issue everywhere around boston and the cape. Lobsters on shorts tend to be very popular. I did have my secretary recently take an iphone pic with this strawberry shortcake during an office bday, inspired by your posts. ...yes i know this is not SF approved with the lower rise pants and no tie, but the cake was great [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

Lmao

11. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Not the quite tweed weather that UC is blessed with, but unusually lovely for July.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19 people like this.
  12. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]

Orazio
    Epaulet
    Vanda
    Godard

I tried a new angle so I thought I would share it. I am not sure if it enhances or doesnt do anything for my pics? @Coxsackie I very much appreciate your comments about photography. I have a canon dslr from about 6 years ago which is fairly new, I barely have used it. Maybe I just need to figure out a shooting mode to help get the best out of the camera. Its usually on Auto shoot :embar:

14 people like this.
  13. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Lunch today in San Francisco with my youngest daughter. Great day out! And I wound up buying a G9 Harrington at Cable Car Clothiers. Maybe that'll show up in the Casual thread one of these days...

[​IMG]

The tie is Drake's for Bullock & Jones that I picked up on eBay some time ago.

32 people like this.
  14. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

It's the angle but it's also the distance. When I saw that full shot of you, I too was surprised at how slim your frame is. Is there any chance of, if not finding better lighting, at least setting the camera up from further away and cropping it before you post? Seeing you from the waist-up gives a really poor impression of the way your clothes fit you, which is a shame!

15. justinkapur

Ill try it for sure and see what happens. I appreciate all the complements and thumbs!

16. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

@justinkapur - firstly, what lens or lenses do you have with that Canon? Ideally you would use a fast prime (i.e. not zoom) lens around 35mm (for a DX camera) or 50mm (FX camera).

Set the camera to "aperture priority" and set the aperture to the widest opening (i.e. lowest number - really fast lenses can go down to f1.4 or even lower). This means a narrow depth of field - you will be in focus, but anything closer or further away will be blurry, which is ideal for portraiture/subject photography. It also has the advantage that lots of light enters the camera, so you can use a faster shutter speed, which means less chance of blur if Muggins doesn't know how to brace themselves for the shot.

A lens like this will also have virtually zero barrel distortion (which is what's making you look portly in your current photos).

Most importantly, go outdoors at lunchtime for the shoot. Look at my gallery, or Urban C's, for framing ideas. A set of stairs, or a door opening, or a footpath, all work. Avoid direct sunlight, and make sure the sun is behind Muggins, not in front of her.

On your marks. Set. Go!

2 people like this.
  17. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

Had a similar experience in May when I wanted to watch the Chelsea Leicester City game that would decide the EPL- at night, trying in vain to find that English or Irish place I just know is somewhere around the Duomo

1 person likes this.
  18. AJL

AJL Senior member

Now that is bizarre and kinda grotesque. Wonder what could possibly possess someone to do this? Is it akin to notches on a bedpost or a gun barrel: here's how many lobstahs I s(t/n)uffed? Regardless, not a good look (the cascasses I mean; you look just fine roycru :)).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  19. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

Dont forget the Challenge! I cant believe that you dont have weird things in your closets (but please, only post pictures with clothes...). We have had tantalising promises of edgy sweaters, weird jackets and offensive ties, but far too few members have dared to post any fits yet. Everybody (almost) can put together a decent fit with high quality, tasteful garments. But this challenge test your skills to the limit!

20. justinkapur

This is fantastic advice. My problem is being outside during lunch or before or after work because the amount of riff raff that happens outside my work. Also when I am at work I get stuck inside and only get out when leaving for the day.

I will try to change locations in the room where I take pictures and will attempt to take different pictures. If I need any more advice I will take it to a PM. Thanks for all the advice!

1 person likes this.