• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Classic Menswear" is definitely better than "Men's Clothing". I interpret it as simply a jacket-and-tie mode of dress, no matter what the silhouette, era, peacock-quotient, etc. I don't think it was ever meant to mean "timeless" -- just suit-and-tie based. Streetwear is sort of by default "everything else", though there are still plenty of suits and tailoring -- just a more casual way of wearing them.

Thom Browne is a good example of a designer take on the suit-and-tie mode -- playing with cut and proportion to create something new or different. It's not just a shrunken, overly tight suit.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what does this have to do with you?

I'll cut you, hombre.

But Butchy has a great flow chart about getting told on a whiteboard in his cubicle. And then you told him. Hence the reference. I wanted to find one of several pictures he's posted of that flow chart and the google of "sugarbutch got told" came up with that website.

-----

"Men's Clothing" was a terrible name.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For reference.

(This is not a picture of my whiteboard. I think the flowchart stands on its own.)

Although I must say I'm not sure what, if anything, I was told. Perhaps I need to hear it again.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
"Original Menswear"????

with the "original" part having a dual meaning. both one's potential interpretation of what they deem to be the root of classic menswear. and also open enough to allow members to put forward their own unique aesthetic choices, which is also original.

tinfoil.gif

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First world problems! I wish my stuff looked as good as your faux pas!

Have you seen your profile pic? Could you be any more photogenic? Ugh!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

You are right, Veremund! They are first world problems..Overall I do love all that I have..thats why I dont necessarily see the need for M2M...if anything Bespoke will be the next step (if I ever get there with a family to look out for)..thanks for the kind words in regards to my Profile pic as well! Cheers bruv!

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im usually a white linen kind of guy..but it was a Nigerian wedding which can be very colorful and flamboyant (My people! lol) so I wanted to kind of follow that trend a little..as for the smile thing I get it.. when you are 6"9 and you dont smile it can come across a little intimidating..I just cant smile like that for the life of me.. Typically neither do I... I would never rock Dub Munks to the office with a three piece.. but for a wedding that I am not in I thought it worked..which it did.. thanks MrTRC!
Believe me, I hear you. I've been described as "friendly as Don Draper". :lol:
LL
Not something I wear often. The shirt doesn't work well with my skin tone. SF Family: Howard Yount Exquisite Trimmings Spier &McCay Meermin
Great color combination (if there is no red in the square), but what the hell is going on with the button and pocket placement?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a fit of impracticality, prior to my departure on vacation later this week, I've decided, in the monsoon weather current in NYC, to take on the Friday Challenge, the challenge being "riot of color". Today's attire, if not a riot of color, is at least a hissyfit of hue and pattern.

Jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Michelson's, via Thomas Farthing, London
Cufflinks - Thomas Pink
PS & trousers - BB
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Home indigo dyed DB jacket - Vintage
Navy/army exploded paisley sillk gauze handkerchief - Eidos
Navy lupo polo - Eidos
Stone washed chino - Eidos
Chocolate suede 'Crosshair' loafers - Christian Kimber X Eidos

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Very cool that you have a cross-pollination with Christian.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great stuff @justinkapur . TBH, I like this a lot more than your 'wilder' combinations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads