• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a few quick ones...

The last isn't a study in fabrics so much as a test—to see if you can spot my old-school waffle tan.

EDIT: one more shout-out to my tan linen/cotton Luxire shirt with the Broke and Bespoke collar.
True FCOAT (Favorite Collar Of All Time)

1. Good to see u back.
2. I like the collar roll, but the rumpling along the front edges not so much.

@mcobinad , if you can get your fit issues properly sorted (and they are improving), you will certainly make sapeur. Your colour and texture game is already very good. And you clearly have an eye for quality - your stuff all looks really well made.

Whoa, I'm not sure I really wanted to know what sapeur means. And not sure u should be recommending that Mconibad should take sapeur as his sartorial grail.
This is what came up in an image search. (Spectre would be rolling in his e-grave)

Linen City.

Nice shoes, nice suit. Not together tho imo. No one who spots u strolling downtown Sydney, Melbourne or Shanghai would be in any doubt that you're a bit of a dandy.

NTTAWWT

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa, I'm not sure I really wanted to know what sapeur means. And not sure u should be recommending that Mconibad should take sapeur as his sartorial grail.
This is what came up in an image search. (Spectre would be rolling in his e-grave)

[re: my fit #10]
Nice shoes, nice suit. Not together tho imo. No one who spots u strolling downtown Sydney, Melbourne or Shanghai would be in any doubt that you're a bit of a dandy.

NTTAWWT

I had the feeling McO's reference to "sapeur" was tongue in cheek and I was playing along with that.

As to my fit, yeah, the shoes were strong. Liked by some. I love that suit (it's new, from SuSu) but it turns out to be a less than straightforward task to match it with shoes. Will have to work on this aspect.

NTTAWWT = "Not that that alters what's worn today"?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today's outfit to wrap up the week. Still waiting in line to become a proper sapeur. Happy weekend guys ;)

[

OT:
Oh a Blackberry, :) not seen one of them in a few years. Had a company issued one about 8 years ago, not for personal use though.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
d by some. I love that suit (it's new, from SuSu) but it turns out to be a less than straightforward task to match it with shoes. Will have to work on this aspect.

NTTAWWT = "Not that that alters what's worn today"?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have friends who r dandies.

mcobinad

Reaction score

Whoa, I'm not sure I really wanted to know what sapeur means. And not sure u should be recommending that Mconibad should take sapeur as his sartorial grail. This is what came up in an image search. (Spectre would be rolling in his e-grave)
I'm not sure these sapeurs emanating from KINSHASA are the ones I would be willing to emulate as they have no atom of class whatsoever. Their way of coordinating colours hurts my eyes. There are far better ones that have distinguished themselves from the crowd. They are overpopulated in certain streets of Paris. BTW, in the year 2012, the famous beer company 'GUINNESS' featured some of the sapeurs in their advertisement. It's surprising some here have never heard about these guys. I have included a video link to the famous Guinness advertisement. Link here

MrTRC

Reaction score
I like the Sapeurs and the look, but on others -and the link McObinad pasted are cut from similar cloth as the infamous Kinshasha ones.

Hence, it seems somewhat strident and a contradiction to laud the Guinness-linked ones but vilify the Kinshasha ones.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The African sapeurs must be assessed in context.

This. It's not like they have immediate access to the latest books from Dormeuil or Fox Brothers.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sag, necessarily. No way we can predict what it'll be like I guess. Good argument for choosing simple conservative style options tho.
Frankly I gave up worrying about where the gorge is positioned, low or high...or how wide the bloody thing is. Yeh..five years of being on Style Forum :D Still don't care for skinny narrow though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads