• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do I have to post just as a discussion about elegance begins?

you're the man AAS
smile.gif

Quote:
This can't be re-posted too much. The epitome of elegance.

I know everyone has different tastes and styles - and that is the purpose of this thread - but it baffles me why more of this superb European simplicity has not in general had more influence in the US, UK or Australia for that matter.

Sander is an awsm poster, but if u think he or his partner-in-crime Braddock are indicative of 'European elegance' you'll be sadly disillusioned going back thru their posts.

I agree with you, but fact is most of us ham it up for the camera here (AFAIK, I hope, tell me it's true!) . Gotta puton a bit of a show. No-one wants to see me or Sander etc in grey suits (my work sprezz) day after day after day

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post:

For my upcoming oversea trip.

Cloth: fresco tobacco special run (current version)
Shirt and tie: RLPL
PS: unbranded
Shoes: Masaru Okuyama

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Ok, eagle-eyed SF chaps: am I smoking crack or is this button placement wonky?

That's not my arm pulling up on it; it does that all the time. I'm holding it in place with my finger where I think it ought to go in pic 3.

It's always bothered me, but I had Enzo Caruso work on this jacket in LA, and he didn't say nothin', so I let it slide. DBs aren't normally my thing, but every man should have one and so I do. But I don't think it oughta work this way.

If the button is goofy, I'm stuck with it, right? The weave will be all pulled where the old placement was, I'm assuming.

Bonus points if you find the Sex Pistols reference in this look (US version only).

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Moo that bison jacket is absolutely superb, I don't understand how come nobody commented on it already!

That Rolex ain't too shabby either!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, eagle-eyed SF chaps: am I smoking crack or is this button placement wonky?

That's not my arm pulling up on it; it does that all the time. I'm holding it in place with my finger where I think it ought to go in pic 3.

It's always bothered me, but I had Enzo Caruso work on this jacket in LA, and he didn't say nothin', so I let it slide. DBs aren't normally my thing, but every man should have one and so I do. But I don't think it oughta work this way.

If the button is goofy, I'm stuck with it, right? The weave will be all pulled where the old placement was, I'm assuming.

Bonus points if you find the Sex Pistols reference in this look (US version only).

Why don't you pin a trial button on in the spot u think it should be? It's what a tailor would do.

PS that execrable tie- colors of NMTBs. u gave it away wit your 'American version'

Last edited:

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Why don't you pin a trial button on in the spot u think it should be? It's what a tailor would do.

PS that execrable tie- colors of NMTBs. u gave it away wit your 'American version'

Oh, but it's so pretty, oh so pretty...

Good suggestion, I will try it.

But my real question—I suppose I might have to take this into a tailoring thread—is if this rather light worsted is going to be all chewed up where the old button was. Any experience, anyone?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But my real question—I suppose I might have to take this into a tailoring thread—is if this rather light worsted is going to be all chewed up where the old button was. Any experience, anyone?
..... theres no point in asking, youlll get no reply.

The women at my office hate my ties. Bet theyd like that one tho.
smile.gif

Last edited:

Albert Hal

Reaction score

Todays yellow silk boutonniere goes with a blue tweed. Everything second hand of course.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But my real question—I suppose I might have to take this into a tailoring thread—is if this rather light worsted is going to be all chewed up where the old button was.  Any experience, anyone?

How big is the thread used? If it's small in diameter, there shouldn't be too much of a mark.

Edit: I've heard tell of people shrinking holes back down to size with a little steam.

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This can't be re-posted too much. The epitome of elegance.

I know everyone has different tastes and styles - and that is the purpose of this thread - but it baffles me why more of this superb European simplicity has not in general had more influence in the US, UK or Australia for that matter.

I hear you—I like it a lot too—but if everyone wore this all the time, God what a dull world.  

There was a time not so long ago in the US when this look (albeit not done quite this well) was practically compulsory, and wearing so much as a striped shirt to the office was seen more or less as a public confession of rampant, uncontrollable sodomy.  IBM rather famously banned blue shirts: too flamboyant.

I think one reason this look has garnered so much attention is that StyFo invites risk-taking, and speaking for myself, I often post looks that contain elements I'm on the fence about, because I'm looking for feedback.  I hesitate to post solid, proven excellence because I fear boring people.  

Between this and the peacocking, few of us think to get back to (very excellent) basics.  

you're the man AAS :)

Sander is an awsm poster, but if u think he or his partner-in-crime Braddock are  indicative of 'European elegance' you'll be sadly disillusioned going back thru their posts.   

I agree with you, but fact is most of us ham it up for the camera here (AFAIK, I hope, tell me it's true!) .  Gotta puton a bit of a show.  No-one wants to see me or Sander etc in grey suits (my work sprezz)  day after day after day

Just wanted to write a lengthy answer, but my points have already been made excellently here; unfortunately, this is not very indicative of how people dress in Europe; the outfit stands out here because most people dress more flamboyantly because it's more fun. And thanks a lot for all the thumbs, guys!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads