• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, i wouldnt want any misunderstandings or anything, that leads to me having to post posts with capital letters and punctuation and apostrophes and stuff. eww.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Errbody know Stitchy hates grammar like a muhfuh. Don't make him use a semicolon. No. Seriously. Don't make him do it.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, there's some discussion that is interspersed, even in the past day. I feel more comfortable thinking about these things out loud when long-standing, accessible members post fits, and where they don't mind people like me musing. I'm not sure this thread is the one for that sort of thing, however.

I had hoped that the 20 thumbs thread might create more of a space for discussion, but it is, I think, more of a repository of popular fits from WAYWRN (I think Ed, you tried to initiate some discussion therein though it didn't go any where). ANyway, that thread s certainly worth having and I enjoy looking at it, but there isn't a sustained discussion right now (Noodle's thread was, for a while on ties and shoes but Rudals has graduated and there's less momentum currently Claghorn certainly deserves credit for initiating a lot of those threads. Maybe he just needs to start another?

Still, I enjoy the threads I subscribe to. If discussion cranked up, I might get less work done! And I think we can move on from Stitch's shoes...he likes them, people have spoken, next topic?
He did, and it was appreciated. Despite his acerbity, edmorel is probably one of the most sartorially wise people who post here. He brings with him a very healthy amount of perspective. I may try to start a discussion in that thread again. I may start another thread on the following:

<3 always.
lol i was not. clags mentioned to me about x-posting an SWD fit, so i did. and honestly, and you should know this as you post on the other side of the wall too, it was one of my tamer SWD fits. no toying or pot stirring was intended.

I may have had a part in instigating this. And despite all the hemming and hawing on all sides, posts like YRR's made me glad I did. I do think a lot of us can provide, if we try, interesting feedback on SWD fits besides "Oh my god, wrong thread" or "******* hipster" or "move out of your mom's basement" or "you look like you'd give me hepatitis if we shared needles." SWD and MC folks have very different approaches to clothes. I'd love it if more SWD folks--the respected ones and/or the ones who know what they are talking about--came into this thread and commented. I'd really like their opinion on some of my fits, but I know if I stepped in there I'd have to deal with a lot of **** for a while before they'd settle down and accept that I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm not trying to invade, and I want to know what they think besides the "you dress like my dad" or "who do you think you are, James Bond?" or "Get out of my basement!" or "You look like the kind of person who favored introducing crack to inner city neighborhood back in the late 80s."

MC folks can provide a new perspective on SWD fits. SWD folks can provide a new perspective on MC fits.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look dude, I am sure you mean well, and you are probably a nice guy, but I've been holding my tongue for a while, and Ill lay it our for you now.

Odds are that Canta's post was tongue in cheek. I'll be a monkeys uncle if he owns 1 pair of MMM side zips, let alone 3. Following that, SBs post was surely tongue in cheek, and mine was as well, and I have no doubt he got that.

You came here not too long ago, posted some absolutely awful fits, and got torn a new one, maybe two or three. Since that time you have been all over WAYWRN and WAYWT, critiquing fits likes you have an idea of north and south, probably because you got reamed so you think you have free reign to do the same. All the while continuing to post occasional fits that are mediocre at best.

In WAYWT you are by en large ignored in entirety, aside from the feedback you got on that turrble SWD (if you can call it that) fit you posted, and here in WAYWRN where people are a little more genial, you get some back and forth.

Now, legally, you are welcome to say whatever you want about fits here, but as I see it, you have almost no grasp of the existing relationships of posters here and how they interact, and about the same grasp on understanding clothing. You have taken little to no heed to the feedback you get on your fits, you usually end with an excuse about having something in the closet or not spending money or whatever, and you seem to think you have a wealth to share about other people fits.

So, as I said, take a breath, learn the lay of the land, and then maybe I'll take you seriously.

I read this with a straight face, but now I find myself in stitches.

Regarding my own feedback of others, I'm pretty sure I've been muted and more questioning than authoritative than anything since I'm still trying to understand why people do what they do instead of telling them what they should be doing. This is especially true for SWD. As far as my legal rights, I'm no lawyer, so I can't speak for those. I appreciate the targeted word choice re: not spending money and wealth to share. Well done! Have you been thinking about that for a while? Sounds like it's been percolating for a while there.

I came here first as a joke, got reamed, then realized I could learn something so I alternate between watching and commenting a bit and posting fits. Frankly, I could care less if my collar wasn't on point, because I'm much more interested in getting the colors/textures/etc to work. Shirt collars are an easy fix, picking the right things is not. As a twenty something year old, I have absolutely no shame about my finances. None whatsoever. And regarding taking feedback, you are dead wrong. I've appreciated the help I've had on here, even from you. It's helped me become a lot more selective.

Frankly, your proclivity to rage is amusing.

That is all.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome.

Sreezy36

Reaction score

Pardon the picture quality.

1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png

sansimeon

Reaction score
A big "Oh, yes!" for the top. Smart use of colors and patterns. I like the sassy pocket square.
Who is the maker of the coat?

Thanks CP! The coat is from a local brand.

Everyone else: I knew you wouldn't like the bottom, hence the spoiler
smile.gif

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing I didn't like about SW&D was their blind loyalty to brands. To me it either looks good or not. I don't care if it's Skechers or MMM.

Pardon my french...

but..

this
is
bull

as if CM isn't obsessed with their own set of brands as well.

DITG

Reaction score

I think that you were very close to nail that jeans-with-tie -combo. But still first impression is towards those IT-industry CEOs like already mentioned. Lets give a look at how those greasy Pitti guys are doing that look:

My way would be to combine daddy jeans, unconstructed cotton jacket, simple striped/plain shirt and knit tie to drive it more towards casual outfit. But still, good business appropriate look you've got there.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pardon my french...

but..

this
is
bull

as if CM isn't obsessed with their own set of brands as well.

Ehhhhh....it's more about grail items than brands. 7 fold ties. Cordovan shoes. But obsession nonetheless.

And obsessed or not, there is a lot less brand posting here than over there. That may be because the brand talk is restricted to various robust brand threads here (I don't know if such threads exist on the other side; I largely just follow WAYWT). It also may be to aid purchasing. It may be that the brands are more recognizable in CM so there is no need. I will say this: when I first started posting, there were a lot more people posting the brands they were wearing than there are now.

There are plenty of people repping H&M and UNIQLO with no shame on that thread. I don't see anybody repping BR (I have a few pants, one which generally receives a healthy amount of compliments on this thread, from BR).

You also have the tailor fanboying, but that seems to have largely died out/be restricted to certain threads.

In the end, I love looking at that thread as much as I love looking at this one.

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I read this with a straight face, but now I find myself in stitches.

Regarding my own feedback of others, I'm pretty sure I've been muted and more questioning than authoritative than anything since I'm still trying to understand why people do what they do instead of telling them what they should be doing. This is especially true for SWD. As far as my legal rights, I'm no lawyer, so I can't speak for those. I appreciate the targeted word choice re: not spending money and wealth to share. Well done! Have you been thinking about that for a while? Sounds like it's been percolating for a while there.

I came here first as a joke, got reamed, then realized I could learn something so I alternate between watching and commenting a bit and posting fits. Frankly, I could care less if my collar wasn't on point, because I'm much more interested in getting the colors/textures/etc to work. Shirt collars are an easy fix, picking the right things is not. As a twenty something year old, I have absolutely no shame about my finances. None whatsoever. And regarding taking feedback, you are dead wrong. I've appreciated the help I've had on here, even from you. It's helped me become a lot more selective.

Frankly, your proclivity to rage is amusing.

That is all.

So a number of years ago I remember when stitches was fairly new - back when Spoo had way more posts then he did. I remember because I was new, and there was another new poster around who shall not be named (though if you really feel like it you can drag the whole thing back up). He found himself in a very similar situation. I was not quite the same, but at the same time I did feel like I had more to learn than to offer. Finally, I proposed that the two of us together shut our mouths and try an experiment: For some period of time, we would both refrain from posting comments in WAYWRN. Nothin'. However, we would continue to read the thread to help improve our understanding. At the end of the time period, we would both pick out three posts from WAYWRN that we'd really liked, and in a separate thread go through - in excruciating detail - the entirety of the thoughts that we had about them. This served the purpose of really forcing us to engage with everything and in the process there was a lot of growth on both sides of things.

As I said, this other posted was having the same sorts of arguments you're having with Mr. Stitch right now - only he was having it with a lot of people. I would imagine you've been having a fair share of it as well. In the seven months you've been here, you've racked up a post count which is comparable to mine. I realize I'm not the most prolific poster around, but that remains quite a feat in itself. This can also be something that rubs other posters the wrong way. My proposition to you is then to join with me in doing this again. Let's you and I (and whoever else would like to join us) sit out of WAYWRN entirely for a week. Refrain from any and all comment and really get focused. During this time, we will continue to read WAYWRN and try to gain some understanding. Then at the end of that week, we each pick one ensemble and I will create a thread in which we can really hammer out on these. Put some stuff together and really figure out what does and does not work about them. This is something I do - though not as often as I like - personally. While some of my absence is time, some of it is because I want to give things time to settle in and figure out what I really think about them. My gut reaction to most things is "I don't like that" but after a while of looking at things I can usually come around to a more balanced perspective. This is an excellent skill to develop and I invite you to work on it with me.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I heart you.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's because I'm teletubby-level lovable. Just ask my wife, but do it when I've cleaned the kitchen and she's not mad at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt