• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sockless with black tie is just taking one step too far for me :brick:

+1

I am so sick of his great fits constantly being marred by his sockless "trademark." Sockless Black-tie is definitely over the line. Enough already.

FillW

Reaction score
+1

I am so sick of his great fits constantly being marred by his sockless "trademark." Sockless Black-tie is definitely over the line. Enough already.

bounce2.gif

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice get up. But something that I've wondered with a few fits recently, with this no break pant, do you look like you're wearing floods when you walk? For me, I need just a little fuller break or else I see my socks when I step and it makes me think the pants are too short (I have lanky legs). Curious everyone's view on this.

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hem my own pants (or did until last night) and the ones I'm wearing are .25" above no break. I broke up with the girlfriend, made a mad dash for the door with the necessities, and these are one of three pairs I grabbed until Saturday. They sway like a motherfucker when I walk.

Go me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice get up. But something that I've wondered with a few fits recently, with this no break pant, do you look like you're wearing floods when you walk? For me, I need just a little fuller break or else I see my socks when I step and it makes me think the pants are too short (I have lanky legs). Curious everyone's view on this.

thanks!

i pretty much have my pants length to a science. i need it to be 37.75 inches from the top of the waistband to the hem. depending on the the cut of the pants and how they sit on my waist, that is usually just right, and it would leave a little more break than in the pants above. they were too long at first so i had the tailor redo them, and at the present length, i just didnt feel like giving back a third time for such a micro adjustment.

to actually answer your question, with the break as is, a little bit of sock shows when i walk, but nothing objectionable, at least for me. had it been any shorter, i would have had it fixed.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I had to give only one measure for my pents it would be the inseam, not the outseam, as the rise measure could affect pant length in that case... inseam is fixed, then if the rise is longer in RTW, pents go higher up on my waist. In the case of MTM, we measure the inseam and then the rise based on how high I want to wear them. I hate sagging. As for break, it depends on hem width. No break on my 8 1/4" hems, shivering break on my 9" hems and "half break" on anything wider. It varies throughout the day anyways, not that I care much...

Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His signature 3 piece pin-stripe suit, loafer without socks.. :hide:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer bo break at all. I rather show some sock than having any break. At the end, I think it comes down to preferences, personal taste, fit of the rest of the outfit, what you're trying to achieve with your clothing and choice of shoes to create perfect harmony. Well, I also persuade myself that I look taller without any break.

institches, shoe deets, please? Great look btw.

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
in the summertime wearing slippers? why not?
Because it stinks of effort. I am a pro sockless guy - especially with slippers. I never wear socks with my stubbs.... BUT, no socks at a wedding in a tux?
Imo, SS has brings great fits and generally looks pretty cool, just tries to hard, it's not natural style or flow at this point. I'm sure it will be on day.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if I had to give only one measure for my pents it would be the inseam, not the outseam, as the rise measure could affect pant length in that case... inseam is fixed, then if the rise is longer in RTW, pents go higher up on my waist. In the case of MTM, we measure the inseam and then the rise based on how high I want to wear them. I hate sagging. As for break, it depends on hem width. No break on my 8 1/4" hems, shivering break on my 9" hems and "half break" on anything wider. It varies throughout the day anyways, not that I care much...

that is only true if you wear pants with different rises on different point of your waist. i wear all my pants on the same point of my waist, with maybe a variance of 1/4 inch. so in my case, the outseam is fixed. a variance in inseam will only affect how much the crotch drops/sags, for me. ask clapey, he will tell you all about it!

institches, shoe deets, please? Great look btw.

G&G westminster, vintage oak on the MH71 last. and thanks!

Stitch,
I hope you know it was my "like" that put your last fit into double digits.

I HOPE SO TOO! :inlove:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is only true if you wear pants with different rises on different point of your waist. i wear all my pants on the same point of my waist, with maybe a variance of 1/4 inch. so in my case, the outseam is fixed. a variance in inseam will only affect how much the crotch drops/sags, for me. ask clapey, he will tell you all about it!

That is the main (though not the only) point of rise measurement - to define where on your waist they're going to sit. Ideally, the amount of sag should be the same on all trousers (as much as you prefer for comfort), and if you like them to sit on the same point of your waist they should always have the same rise. I tolerate a wide range of "waist positions", but if a RTW pair has too high of a rise even for me, I just won't buy it, rather than have it sag, which I think looks sloppy. Once you have found your perfect measurements, both inseam and outseam should stay fixed. Outseam/inseam balance is also useful to correct for bow leggedness or knock knees...

BTW, I'm not implying you have this problem on your last fit - I think a lower button stance on the jacket would help more than less sagging on the trousers, but that's a different issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads