HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matsui

matsui Well-Known Member

For my first WAYWN post, I figured I'd wade into the shallow end of the MC pool. Nothing too spectacular, just playing it safe for now until I learn more.

[​IMG]

2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Not digging the tie. I've been meaning to comment on what I presume are new-ish glasses; I really like them and think they suit you quite well. I much prefer them over what you wore before..

Thanks for the comments on the glasses - the consensus is that they're an improvement (ironically enough, I wore similar frames in the 1980's). The tie I've had for 20+ years - a present from my late husband, and I remember then he gave it to me, my initial reaction was "WTF?', but I decided to give it a try this AM. Sorry is not entirely to your taste.

3. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Graziano and Girling

Killer shoes, Fred!!! Love the pinned collar, too.

Mike

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

... any way you can add more light/expose longer...

I'm sure there must be a way to adjust teh settings on my p&s, but photography is not a hobby I find terribly interesting, so I've never bothered to figure out how. I just leave it on the Auto mode and que sera sera, as the song goes. Most of the time, it's passable enough to get an idea of the clothes, which is enough for me.

[​IMG]
    i'm absolutely loving this.....so simple and classic, great job...

I've seen comments like this in response to PG's posts before. I have to say, I think they do his eye for colour/pattern-matching a disservice. Take today's combo for example; just because he's used a solid white shirt and a colour-saturated tie, doesn't mean the look is simple. It's patently a precisely calculated look, and the conscious effort comes through quite strongly in the crisp end result, and to very good effect. I would disagree with southbound's later comment re: the tie's formality conflicting with the suit. Depending on colours/width, a windowpane can be fairly formal, and this one is clearly on the formal end of the windowpane spectrum.

Leaving today's look aside though, and thinking more generally, there's no way you would ever think he's a man who does not think about clothes, and just wears what a tailor provides. I know some here think that the best accolade would be to appear well-dressed without appearing to have consciously thought about it (Foo would probably take that position, for instance. Probably TRINI too, at a guess. Not sure about Manton). That's fine, as a intellectual position to take. But I think PG is a great example of the contrary position; someone who absolutely demonstrates a lot of careful thought about clothes in a myriad of little detials, and looks very good for it. I suppose vox would be another example of this position. The only aspect where I think PG's explicit conscious effort visible in his looks conflicts with his style are the deliberately unbuttoned collars he sometimes wears, because the two seem in opposition to me. But everything else moves in the same coherent, and explicitly consciously-driven, direction.

Don't take this as a response to your comment in particular, just something I've been meaning to post for a while and this opportunity reminded me to.

[​IMG]

Fun photo.

Dressed for a pleasant lunch and catch-up with a friend:

[​IMG]

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I know some here think that the best accolade would be to appear well-dressed without appearing to have consciously thought about it (Foo would probably take that position, for instance. Probably TRINI too, at a guess. Not sure about Manton).

Guilty as charged.

[​IMG]

7. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

I spent 20 minutes trying to tie this unlined, 9 foot long Panta....so if someone comments on my knot, you better not open any packages for the next month or so. [​IMG]

Have a good one,

Mike[/img]

Reason I avoid unlined ties.

8. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

40s and foggy [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lol, where do you work and what do you do?

No offense but every time I see you I think you work on the set of glengarry glen ross and you're yelling at people to close.

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Reason I avoid unlined ties.

+1. Mike's knot today is all right, but Rob's cylinder knot yesterday is something I avoid at all costs.

10. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

lol, where do you work and what do you do?

No offense but every time I see you I think you work on the set of glengarry glen ross and you're yelling at people to close.

I'm a graphic designer.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Guilty as charged.

[​IMG]

Not a case of innocent or guilty, just an intellectual choice between two aesthetics!

Apologies if it came across as otherwise. [​IMG]

12. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

Tic-tac-toe
    [​IMG]

I saw in your profile that you are a baggage handler, if this is true, you are the best dressed baggage handler I've ever seen, and... someone of your size must be missing a lot of fine threads from their luggage! [​IMG]

13. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

I'm a graphic designer.

Are you sure that's what you're meant to do in life?

You have a certain demeanor and a flair for smoking that suggests emasculating geriatric milquetoasts is closer to your calling.

But seriously you post some of the most stylish pics in this thread.

14. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

HF I like everything except the tie. The sc is fantastic!

Dressed for a pleasant lunch and catch-up with a friend:

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

15. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

I spent 20 minutes trying to tie this unlined, 9 foot long Panta....so if someone comments on my knot, you better not open any packages for the next month or so. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a similar problem recently wit a FIH and DFIH. Does everyone here on SF have such an objection to a half windsor? I find I can get a thicker knot with a clean dimple and it is pretty symmetrical. I know it might look too well put together but I am pretty anal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.