• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

matsui

Reaction score
For my first WAYWN post, I figured I'd wade into the shallow end of the MC pool. Nothing too spectacular, just playing it safe for now until I learn more.

23.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Not digging the tie. I've been meaning to comment on what I presume are new-ish glasses; I really like them and think they suit you quite well. I much prefer them over what you wore before..

Thanks for the comments on the glasses - the consensus is that they're an improvement (ironically enough, I wore similar frames in the 1980's). The tie I've had for 20+ years - a present from my late husband, and I remember then he gave it to me, my initial reaction was "WTF?', but I decided to give it a try this AM. Sorry is not entirely to your taste.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred49
fred7-031.jpg

fred7-034.jpg

fred7-032.jpg

Graziano and Girling

Killer shoes, Fred!!! Love the pinned collar, too.

Mike

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
... any way you can add more light/expose longer...

I'm sure there must be a way to adjust teh settings on my p&s, but photography is not a hobby I find terribly interesting, so I've never bothered to figure out how. I just leave it on the Auto mode and que sera sera, as the song goes. Most of the time, it's passable enough to get an idea of the clothes, which is enough for me.

Originally Posted by Arnett
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
110407029.jpg

i'm absolutely loving this.....so simple and classic, great job...

I've seen comments like this in response to PG's posts before. I have to say, I think they do his eye for colour/pattern-matching a disservice. Take today's combo for example; just because he's used a solid white shirt and a colour-saturated tie, doesn't mean the look is simple. It's patently a precisely calculated look, and the conscious effort comes through quite strongly in the crisp end result, and to very good effect. I would disagree with southbound's later comment re: the tie's formality conflicting with the suit. Depending on colours/width, a windowpane can be fairly formal, and this one is clearly on the formal end of the windowpane spectrum.

Leaving today's look aside though, and thinking more generally, there's no way you would ever think he's a man who does not think about clothes, and just wears what a tailor provides. I know some here think that the best accolade would be to appear well-dressed without appearing to have consciously thought about it (Foo would probably take that position, for instance. Probably TRINI too, at a guess. Not sure about Manton). That's fine, as a intellectual position to take. But I think PG is a great example of the contrary position; someone who absolutely demonstrates a lot of careful thought about clothes in a myriad of little detials, and looks very good for it. I suppose vox would be another example of this position. The only aspect where I think PG's explicit conscious effort visible in his looks conflicts with his style are the deliberately unbuttoned collars he sometimes wears, because the two seem in opposition to me. But everything else moves in the same coherent, and explicitly consciously-driven, direction.

Don't take this as a response to your comment in particular, just something I've been meaning to post for a while and this opportunity reminded me to.

Originally Posted by xchen
wedding1.jpg

Fun photo.

Dressed for a pleasant lunch and catch-up with a friend:

XapJi.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I know some here think that the best accolade would be to appear well-dressed without appearing to have consciously thought about it (Foo would probably take that position, for instance. Probably TRINI too, at a guess. Not sure about Manton).

Guilty as charged.

blush.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I spent 20 minutes trying to tie this unlined, 9 foot long Panta....so if someone comments on my knot, you better not open any packages for the next month or so.
plain.gif

Have a good one,

Mike[/img]

Reason I avoid unlined ties.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
40s and foggy
plain.gif

blue-woolie_040711_01.jpg

blue-woolie_040711_02.jpg

blue-woolie_040711_03.jpg

lol, where do you work and what do you do?

No offense but every time I see you I think you work on the set of glengarry glen ross and you're yelling at people to close.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tombrokaw
lol, where do you work and what do you do?

No offense but every time I see you I think you work on the set of glengarry glen ross and you're yelling at people to close.

I'm a graphic designer.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Guilty as charged.

blush.gif

Not a case of innocent or guilty, just an intellectual choice between two aesthetics!

Apologies if it came across as otherwise.
biggrin.gif

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Tic-tac-toe
110407029.jpg

I saw in your profile that you are a baggage handler, if this is true, you are the best dressed baggage handler I've ever seen, and... someone of your size must be missing a lot of fine threads from their luggage!
biggrin.gif

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
I'm a graphic designer.

Are you sure that's what you're meant to do in life?

You have a certain demeanor and a flair for smoking that suggests emasculating geriatric milquetoasts is closer to your calling.

But seriously you post some of the most stylish pics in this thread.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HF I like everything except the tie. The sc is fantastic!

Dressed for a pleasant lunch and catch-up with a friend:

XapJi.jpg
[/quote]

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I spent 20 minutes trying to tie this unlined, 9 foot long Panta....so if someone comments on my knot, you better not open any packages for the next month or so.
plain.gif

GoingBroke2.JPG

I had a similar problem recently wit a FIH and DFIH. Does everyone here on SF have such an objection to a half windsor? I find I can get a thicker knot with a clean dimple and it is pretty symmetrical. I know it might look too well put together but I am pretty anal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads