• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
baldy[1].gif

I was thinking of this tie but I am recycling this way too much.

luv2breformed

Reaction score

baldy%5B1%5D.gif
I was thinking of this tie but I am recycling this way too much.
LL
Just stop wearing it with your plain and/or subtle shirts. When your 3 neats show up you will find them in the rotation with your plain shirts much more often. Also, 1 benefit of simple basics is that they don't stand out as much, so you can afford to wear them more often. I have no clue how many times you've posted that brown grenadine, whereas I am keenly aware of ETB's pink paisley at least twice now. Just saying you don't have to worry about "recycling" as much given your generally conservative style.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oops. I actually don't know any better. I get that wool and cashmere ties are for winter but I am not quite sure why. It's not like they warm you up. If it is to go with what you're likely to wear in the winter (wool) then I guess I understand.

eviltimeban

Reaction score
whereas I am keenly aware of ETB's pink paisley at least twice now.
Last wore it on December 17th. I know it was a recycle (and a distinctive tie one way or the other), but I don't only dress for Style Forum!
smile.gif
(though I do consider what I'm doing). I have my own benchmarks to make things "new", for example, I've never worn that tie with that suit.

You're right though, a plain navy or plain brown tie would be less memorable. But again, do it for yourself, not just to post something "new" - if you haven't worn it for 2 weeks its probably alright, and if you put it on and are happy and confident, then its definitely alright!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ruffles, I believe you have been chastised for this before, but it helps everyone out when you leave your posts up regardless of how fail they may be. I've posted infinitely worse fits here than anything you have ever posted, and left them in all their glory so that myself and others may learn from my mistakes. I think it would be helpful if you left your fits up, especially if the issue at hand were so minor as pattern clashing rather than say wearing pants 4 sizes too large.

Totally.

You don't need to leave them up for long, Noodles; even just a day or two is enough to get a broader & more usual range of feedback. I usually clear out my imgur after a couple of months.

And here's a little secret to make it easier to leave outfits up: no-one - and I mean no-one - really cares deeply about what outfit you're wearing today. Just as they don't care about what I'm wearing today. Or any other poster's outfit. It's all just disposable fun in that good outfits give people a moment's pleasure and sometimes cause them to click the thumbs icon or comment; while mediocre/bad outfits are forgotten almost instantly.

Only exceptional outfits - in either direction - are really remembered and those are few and far between for most members, and that was true even in the old days and even a clear majority of the few old superstar members were just "good" rather than exceptional. We just tend to remember the exceptional fits and assign them to the entirety of their outfits.

BTW, now that you've reposted it, I agree that the shirt/tie combo isn't ideal, but it's not disastrous. It's just that the effective stripe width of the tie is a bit close to that of the space between the stripes of the shirt. One for a solid shirt, or a hairline stripe, or that microcheck that I think you have.
Oops. I actually don't know any better. I get that wool and cashmere ties are for winter but I am not quite sure why. It's not like they warm you up. If it is to go with what you're likely to wear in the winter (wool) then I guess I understand.

I answered this in your tie thread; figured that would keep all your tie advice together. :)

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I quite like this actually, the tie is very nice and I don't feel it massively clashes, though I get what people are saying. The tie alone and shirt alone are very good.

However this is quite a decent "London" look, if you know what I mean.
I think it would also be less of an issue if the jacket was buttoned up.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really see a problem with that, Rudals. If there was no white stripe on the tie I don't even think this would be up for debate. It's not like you are wearing a butcher stripe shirt or something similar with such a pronounced stripe.

I could also be biased because I wore the same tie today:

Polo
RLPL
ConradWu
Vintage
HowardYount
AE

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Totally.

You don't need to leave them up for long, Noodles; even just a day or two is enough to get a broader & more usual range of feedback. I usually clear out my imgur after a couple of months.

And here's a little secret to make it easier to leave outfits up: no-one - and I mean no-one - really cares deeply about what outfit you're wearing today. Just as they don't care about what I'm wearing today. Or any other poster's outfit. It's all just disposable fun in that good outfits give people a moment's pleasure and sometimes cause them to click the thumbs icon or comment; while mediocre/bad outfits are forgotten almost instantly.

Only exceptional outfits - in either direction - are really remembered and those are few and far between for most members, and that was true even in the old days and even a clear majority of the few old superstar members were just "good" rather than exceptional. We just tend to remember the exceptional fits and assign them to the entirety of their outfits.

BTW, now that you've reposted it, I agree that the shirt/tie combo isn't ideal, but it's not disastrous. It's just that the effective stripe width of the tie is a bit close to that of the space between the stripes of the shirt. One for a solid shirt, or a hairline stripe, or that microcheck that I think you have.

I answered this in your tie thread; figured that would keep all your tie advice together. :)
Wise words, as always.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't really see a problem with that, Rudals. If there was no white stripe on the tie I don't even think this would be up for debate. It's not like you are wearing a butcher stripe shirt or something similar with such a pronounced stripe.

I could also be biased because I wore the same tie today:

Polo
RLPL
ConradWu
Vintage
HowardYount
AE
Honestly, I think this might be the best thing you can do with this tie. A simple white shirt.
Yo C.D., I think too much suppression at the waist is making the jacket balloon at your hip. I don't know much but it appears the jacket needs a bit of tailoring. I could be totally wrong on this. I'll defer to others.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't really see a problem with that, Rudals. If there was no white stripe on the tie I don't even think this would be up for debate. It's not like you are wearing a butcher stripe shirt or something similar with such a pronounced stripe. I could also be biased because I wore the same tie today:
Polo RLPL ConradWu Vintage HowardYount AE
I like the colours, and I'm a fan of double breasted jackets, but that one emphasizes your hips. Perhaps roped shoulders are better for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt