• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a recent newb, I have to disagree with the fact that people here are snobs. When they give feedback it is mostly constructive and not offensive or derogatory. I have survived WAYWRN for about 6 months and counting and I have to say these people here are helpful, not snobs (well maybe some). When you post a pic here you are being critiqued and people's intentions (for the most part) are to help.

We have had (and lost due to ridiculous nit-picking) some of the best-dressed men in America have stupid, obsessive comments made on this board about their suits that were fitted to them by renowned master tailors. "Oh, it really needs another eighth of an inch waist suppression...I think the back of the jacket really needs to be letting one more centimeter of the shirt showing..." And this guy thinks he can post a pic of a suit that makes him look like a scarecrow outfitted by Goodwill and we should all throw roses at him and say that he is well-dressed? And mind you, this is not some college kid trying for a budget suit to go to a semi-formal, this is a practicing attorney making a court appearance.

PointDexter2014

Reaction score

New trousers with double pleats and 9" leg opening. Might get used to the fullness, but right now it feels like I borrowed them from my grampa.
smile.gif
You inspire me to wear a few of the pleated trousers I intended sale. Nice look.

Stiva

Reaction score

Stax, be cool and listen to Rudals-Noodles.  This thread is the most brutal of them all, and getting upset about it isn't going to help.  A lot of members are very blunt - especially here - and some are downright and deliberately rude.  It doesn't matter.  It's the internet, it's not real.  We all know that the rudest ones have acne and live in their mothers' basements.  That's just how forums work.

Take a deep breath, and realise none of this is personal - even when it is.  It's just a mixture of snap observations and languid abuse by strangers who don't really know or care who you are.  And that's OK.  Fasten the correct button on your jacket, post another pic (include shoes) and let's start again.  Everything will be fine, as long as you never, ever get upset.  Promise.

Wise contribution. Correct approach.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For example, Mimo once made fun of Rudals too hard. So Rudals and I ate his dog. Turns out, Mimo never had a dog. Whose dog did we eat?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ My view also. There are a few who like to troll the sensitive (or try to make them sensitive by doing so!), but I've never noticed Mr D's being one of them.

There is no point having an allergic reaction to criticism, whether or not you think it's fair. Keep posting, take in what makes sense to you, ignore what doesn't. Eventually even this place will see normal.

Last edited:

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For example, Mimo once made fun of Rudals too hard. So Rudals and I ate his dog. Turns out, Mimo never had a dog. Whose dog did we eat?
rotflmao.gif

That's a good one Clag. Maybe instead of drinks we should go for 보신탕. (Actually, that's gross, never mind)

I remember the time when I had a freaking melt down when I first arrived here. But I think I always had the willingness to take the feedbacks and improve upon them. So I decided to stick around and keep on learning. Nowadays, I rarely get feedbacks but I've learned to gauge what people think mostly on thumbs ups even though it may not be exact. So just be glad that you're getting feedbacks and hopefully you have the balls to bite the bullet and listen to them even if it hurts sometimes. (What the heck am I doing? Writing a journal here?!)
ffffuuuu.gif

Also, I think I should just change my name to NOODLES for MIMO's sake.

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's tough because the pictures are so crappy, but I'm looking for a bit of feedback or other ideas on this. Worn out to a Tuscan restaurant for dinner with the fellas.

I think the problem here is that your velvet blazer is the "statement" piece. The tie should compliment that, not try to compete with it. I like your idea of a forest green tie, but I think a grenadine might be too formal for the rest of your outfit. Perhaps a knit? That is usually my go to when I can't figure out what tie to wear. Not sure if it would work with the brown striped shirt, but a chocolate brown jacket and a black knit is a nice combo in certain situations.

Very nice, especially the jacket, tie and shoes.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And mind you, this is not some college kid trying for a budget suit to go to a semi-formal, this is a practicing attorney making a court appearance.
Stax — first off, congrats on passing the bar and your swearing in. MrD, he's not making an actual court appearance for a client — he's being sworn in to become a practicing attorney. So, not far off from "some college kid" at present. That said...

Quote:
I agree. Guys here are many times a bit harsh on the new guys. it isn't easy to come here and expose yourself.
Even if people want a judgement i don't think they understand how harsh it can be. And it's not easy getting yourself fancy, maybe spending a lot of money just to know that you are really off.
You're right, what kind of forum seeks out new members. The healthy approach is outsiders be damned.
Stax — you're not new here. In fact, you have been posting in this thread for more than a year. Your post italicized above suggests that you've received negative feedback here in that time and yet you continue to post fits worthy of negative feedback. We aren't talking about mismatching your tie width to your lapel, your choice of color palette, or how inexpensive versus expensive your garments are. Rather, your fit demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of how your clothes should fit you and how you are presenting yourself. Thus, while the fit you posted is certainly exceptionally far off, the real rub for me is that you either haven't taken the time to go through the entire thread here (or the many others here on StyFo) and learn from it, or you have simply disregarded the now 4,273 pages of advice and how to apply that advice to one's particular situation and physique. That is, at best, annoying to those of us here who do take the time to provide measured and calculated feedback to members new and old.

It was literally directly, freshly, off the hangar from the tailor's. So i guess nothing will fit properly.

You don't know how your garments should fit. Your tailor is irrelevant in this particular conversation — your tailor didn't purchase that suit for you and, in many respects, can only do so much with the garments and client input he/she is given. You are SoL until you learn how your clothing should fit you and until that time you will continue to receive pretty negative feedback or people will start ignoring you altogether. Take the time for your due diligence here, learn, and then post using what you've learned. The point is — like even many seasoned, well tailored members here from time to time — you can and should do better.

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score

I think the problem here is that your velvet blazer is the "statement" piece. The tie should compliment that, not try to compete with it. I like your idea of a forest green tie, but I think  a grenadine might be too formal for the rest of your outfit. Perhaps a knit? That is usually my go to when I can't figure out what tie to wear. Not sure if it would work with the brown striped shirt, but a chocolate brown jacket and a black knit is a nice combo in certain situations.

Thanks, I could see a gold knit either working or failing miserably.

I'll keep farting around with it, I'm stubborn like that.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix