• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ebony man, thanks big homey! Im digging the versatility of your looks too!
Why thank you spoo! That is worth 10 thumbs up in my estimation. I silently learned from all you guys following the thread for over a year before I even posted a thing and I still do. I feel I was already 60% there in terms of honing in on my fit before this forum. Then I stumbled on you guys from GQ from the referral of the style guy and it was like I struck gold..information every where I looked.. answering questions that S.A's at stores like Nordstroms, Saks and Bloomies could not answer for me..it was an eye opener..then finding an awesome tailor that I have worked with over the last 3 years.. so I am not taking the prop's.. Im giving it back to you and all of you old head's on here that helped a gent out..

P.S-Kendrick is dope.. but I am looking forward to my man Joey Badass.. he reminds me of what it used to be like.. but Kendrick, intentionally or not, started a movement. Hopefully for the better..
THREAD DERAIL PSA

Yeah Joey is nice.. but he ain't K Dot...

yeeaaaahhhhhh.....

Westpointkappa

Reaction score

You are right ebonyman! You just have to rock them..but Im finding more and more, that monks for my personal preference are better suited for more casual settings..I had a division meeting in San Fran this weekend and the dress code was a strict business casual. Meaning, no tie.. dress shirts and slacks were permitted as well as sports coats..the weather was actually pretty nice in SF this weekend so I threw on my unlined unstructured cotton S.C..thats one thing I dont have enough of.. Sports Coats.. thats going to be a huge focus for me next year.. oh well..Sorry for the poor lighting as well.. had to take this inside the hotel and rush off to my meeting Jacket: Kroon Technology Shirt: Suit Supply Pants: Brooks Brothers (part of suit) Milano fit Nice color scheme!! You got it down! Shoes: JM Westons Watch: Breitling Colt

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow damn, Spoo swoops in with some constructive criticism... I knew there was something missing from the WAYW...

There's room between circle jerking and needless nitpicking. Can we please please keep doing it?

Kai, you knowz somebody's going to say your pants are on the full break side there right? (or were they just slumped down?)

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow damn, Spoo swoops in with some constructive criticism... I knew there was something missing from the WAYW...

There's room between circle jerking and needless nitpicking. Can we please please keep doing it?
Unfortunately I'm not much of a nitpicker since I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. But since you're not a fan of positivity, I'll refrain from the compliments and just post pictures of my own.

smile.gif

Also I guess it doesn't really help when most of the senior members have left the thread and/or forum.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kai, you knowz somebody's going to say your pants are on the full break side there right? (or were they just slumped down?)

My suspenders let me down (literally.) I was wearing new suspenders, and the adjustment buckles kept slipping, so they wouldn't hold my pants up. Have ordered some new suspenders.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just pointing out that we go through cycles of mass overwhelming positive comments to nitpicks that are so small they're useless (either something the OP can't change, or things to do with photography where the OP has to respond and explain, etc).

To me, useful critique involves something within the OP's power within reason, for example.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THREAD DERAIL PSA

Yeah Joey is nice.. but he ain't K Dot...

yeeaaaahhhhhh.....

yet... let's see what he does with his first album... I really feel that peeps are going to be surprised..its going to be the first NY album in a long time.. tired of NY artists sounding like they are from the south..sorry to derail the thread even further, lol

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just pointing out that we go through cycles of mass overwhelming positive comments to nitpicks that are so small they're useless (either something the OP can't change, or things to do with photography where the OP has to respond and explain, etc).

To me, useful critique involves something within the OP's power within reason, for example.
I believe you're right. There are some suggestions here and it's not as bad (positive/circle jerk) as the shoe p0rn thread, but I'm not so sure most of the people are qualified to give good detailed advice like Spoo did. The best place for advice is the Good Taste thread which has maybe 3 posters that would be willing to give advice (and it's also no place to go for that specifically, at least not for most of the forum*).

There were threads that had a subject on obtaining good taste but they died, even after I tried to make a post in one shouting for critique. So, it seems like WAYWRN and HOF are a bit of the blind leading the blind. Not sure if we're better off just circle jerking or giving advice that may be wrong.

Edit: If you saw the criticism was lacking, why not help out as well? I don't mean that facetiously.

Hope nobody takes offense, I include myself in that. I love most of the recent fits posted here. But I'm not an advice giver, unless it's way far out. I believe I've got a solid structure to my outfits but I'm in no place to give any real advice to someone other than SOME fit critique and pattern variance.

*Just because I mentioned it, don't go to that thread for advice, or there will be mods with pitchforks on my lawn

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see where you were going here Monkey, and its quite close. While club collars are not my thing at all, I appreciate them in the right mood. Here, I see just a bunch of lines. Striped shirt, striped suit, striped tie. Nothing to break up the vertical motion. Your hair is doing a pretty good job of moving north too.
smile.gif
I think that tie is best with a solid blue jacket - if I were to leave the suit and shirt, I really feel the best option for you is a solid tie, or a larger paisley kind of thing a-la our old friend % (he is missed) who if memory serves right, posted a similar ensemble in late 2011. Im too lazy to go back and find it. What shoes did you wear with this? Im imagining black gunboats. It was probably oxblood longwings though. Am I right?
Thanks for the feedback Spoo, really appreciate it! It is indeed a little stripey, I've worn this shirt with a more neatly patterned tie before, which does work much better. When it comes to shoes, I haven't really thought of combining a brown suit with black shoes before, might just give it a try next time. Oxblood would look great, but unfortunately I don't own any oxblood shoes at the moment, they're certainly on the list though. I was wearing dark brown museum calf captoes, a beautiful leather, which works quite well with this suit.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MAster-Classer.
I am not sure I agree with the circle jerk thing. You just need to go back a few pages and see the critiques given to AAS and DC when he first showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads