• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdude

Reaction score

To get a new lapel roll or to make a 3-roll-2 jacket from a normal 3 button jacket I made this video:

Just in case anyone wants to copy this, guys you should read the tailors' tutorials on lapels and pressing first.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The combinations--suit, shirt, tie--were mostly not bad. The actual fits, obviously, were atrocious. Will be up there with Roger Moore's bell bottoms and Timothy Dalton's triple pleats in terms of poorly-remembered fashion suits.
You
If you want to go for a more tone-on-tone look, Sean Connery, Tom Ford, and the 1950s Cary Grant would be inspirations.  If you like more color and pattern, the Duke of Windsor and Fred Astaire are exemplars.  Ralph Lauren, when he's dressing for himself in a suit, can fall in either group.  

I was only talking about the suit-shirt-tie combos and not on fit.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This would actually work if you were wearing a black cotton sport coat (or linen) and a gray t with a deeper v or a low crew neck. Jacket would need to be at least two inches shorter. T tucked behind chunky belt buckle (but not tucked in). Streetwear of course. Jean boot combo is cool, denim fits you well.

Hi guys
smile.gif

1z22eq8.jpg

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score
Moo, I like that fit a lot, but perhaps it is more SW&D. I like the length of the jacket too.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dont check this thread nearly as much as I would like to or as I used to, so Ill just come in from the last day and give a little honest advice.
I see where you were going with this, but its a little busy. One pattern at least too many - and I wouldnt have done the dot ps with a dot tie. The jacket looks 2" too long and is a wee bit too close to the pants for my comfort in color. Swap the knit dot tie with a solid brown and the shirt for a solid blue and its much better.
Where are you that its this cold?! Im not ready for Fall yet. But, this is a lovely look. I have a personal thing with crewneck sweaters over shirts, cant stand it. Works on you but for me I would only do this with a V neck. Great fall look.
Patterned pants
Clags, I remember when you first started posting, and you had a pretty good eye for what you were doing. Ive seen your posts over the past few months improve greatly - as well as your photography. You are a pretty active participant in this thread and have a really good eye (and good photography skills). Here is a near win - the shirt looks pink to me which kind of throws a wrench in it. Pale blue end on end would have been a solid choice, more than a pale pink (if im right about the pink). I think the jacket is a bit too smooth for a patterned pant like that - I would have preferred cashmere or a hopsack or something not so lustrous. Many times Ive gone green tie/pink shirt - love the combo - but the pink is too cool against the rest of the warm tones there in my eyes. A paisley PS would have added some interest too but YMMV.
Off to church. Jacket is linen by Faconnable, cotton trou by Incotex, shirt A. Basile. These loafers are of the absolute softest leather I've ever felt on a shoe. LOVE THEM (Bruno Magli)! The jacket is a medium blue herringbone with a muted red plaid.
Ebony, Im still jealous of that perfect goatee. lol. You also have that dont fux with me pose down pat, which is awesome. Your shoe game needs to be stepped up here - black Maglis, while nice, aren't your a game that I think know you are capable of. I dont see your posts in other fora, but check out some of the shoe dedicated threads - GG/EG/Carmina etc and check out some new styles. I think a double monk would benefit the looks Ive seen you in greatly. Your PS fold needs a bit of assistance here too - if you are doing a TV fold, always make sure the rolled edges are out - not the side you fold over. Gingham is nice, but against the windowpane, its too many boxes and straight lines (with the striped shirt). Too much geometry. Try a dotted or a paisley print one. You seem pretty tall too - 6' maybe? Have you considered cuffing your pants? You have the stature to carry it.
Donning a suit under the most unfortunate of circumstances
Quite sorry for your loss man. But this is perfect.
Peak Lapel Sunday:
You guys in the perfect hair club make me so jealous. lol. Great look, but Y U SO SAD. Im kidding. I know you are smiling behind the PS in the color shot. The shirt collar needs to be a little longer to sit underneath your jacket. Its a nice collar but needs to be longer. Not a fan of the maroon PS with a blazing orange tie though.
You have a good eye on details. The tie is a Marinella 7 fold. And today last day of 15 days working in 17 days. First time I wear a lapel flower.
Don, Ive seen you have been posting some more over the last few weeks and trying some good stuff. You seem like a nice guy and want to learn, which is great. And you have very fluffy hair. This look is a miss for me for a few reasons. You are a big guy - you dont need to call a whole lot of attention to yourself with all this gilding the lily stuff. Matching knot cufflinks, blazing red socks, lapel pin, etc. You have a pretty intense look about you (in a good way) and I don't think the whole #menswear Pitti Uomo tricks thing is for you. Your fellow German Vaux le Vicomte is also a big guy who can pull off some serious tricks, but he carries a different gravitas to him. I see you best in a more sedate attire, but with some fun patterned PS's and ties to express yourself with. For this look, I would have swapped the windowpane shirt for a solid blue, the patterned pants for a lighter grey to better compliment that camel-ish jacket, switched the socks to blue and put solid silver somethings as knots, though I dont think a hopsack jacket is right for links. You seem like a details oriented guy, by the way you are trying to show us your matching watchstrap to shoes, PS to cufflinks, etc. The small details - like a tighter, longer tie knot as well as a cleaner, proper hem on the pants (the machine hem is visible there) are things that you can focus on to tie the look up better. I think you have potential which is why I offer the advice.
I don't think I've ever given SF the chance to gaze upon my luscious locks, so here is my entry for the awesome hair club.
You guys and this hair! I dont post for a few weeks but dang, you all got fluffy on me. I see where you were going here Monkey, and its quite close. While club collars are not my thing at all, I appreciate them in the right mood. Here, I see just a bunch of lines. Striped shirt, striped suit, striped tie. Nothing to break up the vertical motion. Your hair is doing a pretty good job of moving north too. :) I think that tie is best with a solid blue jacket - if I were to leave the suit and shirt, I really feel the best option for you is a solid tie, or a larger paisley kind of thing a-la our old friend % (he is missed) who if memory serves right, posted a similar ensemble in late 2011. Im too lazy to go back and find it. What shoes did you wear with this? Im imagining black gunboats. It was probably oxblood longwings though. Am I right?
jean stack - win shaving the man fur (or hiding it successfully) - win (wheres your star though?!) crib - NOT WIN - get her in the big girl bed already man! PM me if you need tips.
What is so, SO impressive about you, is each and every time, you nail proportion and fit. You are six foot freaking nine and you have no issues with length, tightness, etc. You do it so well and so effortlessly. Every time. Well done. Spoo out

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit: Beckett & Robb

Shirt: Jos A Bank

Tie: Hober

Pocket Square: Shibumi madder

Shoes: Churches

TobiasM

Reaction score
You guys in the perfect hair club make me so jealous. lol. Great look, but Y U SO SAD. Im kidding. I know you are smiling behind the PS in the color shot. The shirt collar needs to be a little longer to sit underneath your jacket. Its a nice collar but needs to be longer. Not a fan of the maroon PS with a blazing orange tie though.
Spoo out
thanks Spoo
but the PS isn't maroon. Here is a picture of it

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh wow spoo, welcome back.

spoiler much? :hide:

moo - nice beard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads