• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely conservative business dress. Depends on the styling. I'm wearing one right now. Love them. Teh Vanda is where it's at.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I am not alone in this, but I personally don't understand loafers and sneakers. I mean, there is always a better option unless you are wearing sneakers playing a sport of some sort. Loafers always come across as lazy to me. It is one thing that I notice about most trends. In order for something to take off it has to be obtained cheaply, and be easy. This seems to be the recipe that leads to a fad. Now loafers, of course, aren't a fad at all(even though they kinda are right now), but they are quite the opposite of a fad in their history, but tell me what loafer looks better than a norwegian split-toe? Or a wingtip derby? Or a suede buck? That's right, nothing.

Some say it is a weather thing. Anything else is too robust for the weather. Ok, it is hot, I understand that, but not so hot that it would make me want to wear loafers.
Loafers are awesome. They're just to bring a more casual vibe. That said, I have too many and need some chukka in my life.

If I'm going out with a few folks, having a few drinks and relaxing, I don't want shoes. The irritation of tying then untying shoes every time I go in/out of my house or someones house is silenced by a good pair of loafers. Or four, in my case. (Did I say I have too many?) Weekends are damn near strictly loafers for me. Weekdays are lace-ups.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I am not alone in this, but I personally don't understand loafers and sneakers. I mean, there is always a better option unless you are wearing sneakers playing a sport of some sort. Loafers always come across as lazy to me. It is one thing that I notice about most trends. In order for something to take off it has to be obtained cheaply, and be easy. This seems to be the recipe that leads to a fad. Now loafers, of course, aren't a fad at all(even though they kinda are right now), but they are quite the opposite of a fad in their history, but tell me what loafer looks better than a norwegian split-toe? Or a wingtip derby? Or a suede buck? That's right, nothing.

Some say it is a weather thing. Anything else is too robust for the weather. Ok, it is hot, I understand that, but not so hot that it would make me want to wear loafers.
Norwegian split toes are terrible. Not aesthetically pleasing at all, way too bulky. I'd wear crocs before I'd wear those. Loafers are great for casual summer fits, but I'm sure you'd be wearing black oxfords while having a picnic in the park.

A vanda tie is on the to buy list. I love their shantungs!

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Loafers are awesome. They're just to bring a more casual vibe. That said, I have too many and need some chukka in my life.

If I'm going out with a few folks, having a few drinks and relaxing, I don't want shoes. The irritation of tying then untying shoes every time I go in/out of my house or someones house is silenced by a good pair of loafers. Or four, in my case. (Did I say I have too many?) Weekends are damn near strictly loafers for me. Weekdays are lace-ups. 

Like I said. Lazy. Also, chukkas are next on my list of ugly, purposeless footwear.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mimo,

Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions. I will look into some of the things you mentioned. I feel very strange dropping $300+ on a pair of shoes for myself. Monks, chukkas and dress suedes are all on my radar. I'm looking at Meermin right now, but even $200 feels crazy. I'm so cheap sometimes.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said. Lazy. Also, chukkas are next on my list of ugly, purposeless footwear.
I guess you can call it that. I'll stick to calling your captoes larvae and we can call it even.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess you can call it that. I'll stick to calling your captoes larvae and we can call it even.
Nothing wrong with captoes, they have their place, but so do loafers. They're at opposites ends of the spectrum. Just because you like a certain style of shoes doesn't mean that all other shoes are ugly (except for split toes!)
nest.gif

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to hate loafers, but I've recently started to appreciate them, specially for summer. On a nice last, unlined suede tassel loafers look great with a pair of linen trousers.

BTW, one of the great things about Vox (he is missed) is that he appreciated pretty much every style of every item of clothing, provided it's not fugly and it's worn in the right moment at the right place. This forum needs more of that.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
imho, if there is one item to spend more on in a wardrobe, its shoes.

Word.

The irritation of tying then untying shoes every time I go in/out of my house or someones house is silenced by a good pair of loafers.

This. If you live in a culture where shoes are removed often throughout the day, it really does make a difference. However, loafers are not the only option. I'd like more, but for business dress I am dreaming of a "lazyman" (yeah, yeah PB). But there is room for common ground: a single monk with a hidden elastic under the strap is my win-win.

Mimo,

Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions. I will look into some of the things you mentioned. I feel very strange dropping $300+ on a pair of shoes for myself. Monks, chukkas and dress suedes are all on my radar. I'm looking at Meermin right now, but even $200 feels crazy. I'm so cheap sometimes.

You're welcome. Actually I'd leave Meermin, personally: I like what they do and they're certainly cheap, but their service and quality control seems to be in complete disarray. In the same price bracket, frankly, you can find a pretty wide selection of both Indian-made and English-made shoes, in classic styles and of decent quality. Try Herring or Pediwear, both of whom have sales/offers on right now, and are great with customers. I like my $150 Indian Loake suede brogues as much as others twice the price. TTO seems to swear by them. Pediwear are doing a special Loake offer. And at sale time, I've had some great deals from Herring before on various English shoes. It's luck of the draw as to what's on sale in your size so get measured up; both of those do wider or narrower fittings and you can search by size and width easily on their sites..

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
^^my meermins blow away my loakes...not even a question. I like my loakes...but they feel pretty cheap. the Meermins really surprised me. No question would i go for them over loake.

just my 2 centavos though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads