1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Hint: There's no such thing as a Salvation Army Surplus Store.

1 person likes this.
  2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Here is another way to put it in perspective: If he got a job at Men's Wearhouse and dressed that poorly, even THEY would not allow him on the sales floor (I guarantee it).

2 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

hoo boy, here we go again.

1 person likes this.
  4. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Don't be silly - Ianiceman has never posted pictures, which has led me to concoct the Theory of Darlene, i.e. that the person posting as Ianiceman is actually a woman named Darlene, a middle-aged woman with a significant weight problem, frosted hair, and unfortunate weaknesses for both lime green polyester capri pants, and Smurf garden gnomes, which decorate the front yard of her lot at the trailer park which is her home. Oh, and she smokes Newports.

Until such time as the person posing as Ianiceman posts photos, the Theory of Darlene remains valid.

5 people like this.
  5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Speaking of Black homburgs, we need to get together for an overly formal drink. Tap and Barrel is pouring Back Hand of God on Monday.

6. Crat

Crat Senior member

Trousers look too formal for the leather jacket imo.
    Also don't get shirt wide open + scarf (but then I just don't get scarfs when its not cold)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Horatio Caine, and Jeff Winger had a baby in Brooklyn!

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah, but you were being catty. I know what you were trying to say, but the way you said it came off wrong. Just FYI.

Carry on then :p

1 person likes this.
  9. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I thought she would smoke Kools. You know, cause the young'uns do it. I bet she drinks Milwaukee's Best.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Fixed.

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

The beard makes so much more sense, now!

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

13. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

HAPPY PI DAY!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ those links are great Acute!

1 person likes this.
  15. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

My first WAYWT - Spezzato

[​IMG]

Kamakura
    Hackett
    RLPL
    Pantherella
    Yount
    C&J HG

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    13 people like this.
  16. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

A custom blend of high-grade narcotics and psychedelics.

Seriously though, if you really want to know the scary inner workings of my mind... as I was getting ready, I realised I haven't worn this shirt for ages so figured I'd wear it today. It's a suit-y sort of shirt, and from experience I know it plays a little better with navy than grey, hence a navy suit. But again, from experience I know it goes slightly better with solids than pinstripes, and as I'd worn my worsted solid navy already this week, I decided to wear the worsted flannel one instead. As for a tie, I needed something dark, and probably navy-grounded. I also knew I needed something quite slick/suit-y to complement the sharp suit and city-esque shirt, so that narrowed down my choices instantly to a small handful, and since I hadn't worn this one in ages, I decided to wear it. The fact that it has a large-scale pattern (so wouldn't clash much with the shirt) and has a little red on it (echoing the shirt) both helped the selection. As for the square, I know the tie is striking so needed something lacking too much of a pattern of its own, while echoing some of the colours and also being something of a shiny silk to match the tie's slickness. Even before going through my squares, I had mentally narrowed down my choice to three potential options, with this one being the most likely to work. A quick glance at the other two choices confirmed this (one was too dark a red, and the other was thematically too different to the tie to be a good companion (medusae and pheasant don't get on; the snake hair would scare the birds). The last point sounds crazy, I know, and it is admittedly written tongue-in-cheek. But actually makes sense given that if you want to put things together, might as well be thematically consistent. Navy suit=black shoes for me unless I have an overriding need to chose otherwise, so that part was instinctive. You can't see the socks but they're actually a red/tan small-scale houndstooth; a frivolous match for a frivolous tie. And they were at the top of my sock drawer, which helped. The other theme with this outfit is that I felt unconsciously empowered to match colours far more than I would normally do, precisely because it is inherently something of a cheesy, wide-boy, slick look, and matchiness is not a negative in that context.

Because I know my own wardrobe pretty well, the above process from putting the shirt on to being fully dressed took about five minutes, tops.

5 people like this.
  17. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Wow. Thank you for the explanation HF. I read every word of it and admire your process and your taste. I wish I had some sense of putting things together in a rational process as you do. Seems like you enjoy it. Big fan here, cus I know I can never do that.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

1 person likes this.
  19. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

LOL! However, if style can be considered as something more than just the clothes we wear (which it is, IMO), then your writing more than deserves to be included in the 20+ HOF thread, as an example for us all.

20. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Today I'm wearing:

Charles Tyrwhitt navy/silver stripe shirt

Naked and Famous cashmere jeans

It's getting too warm for my shearling but not warm enough for a blazer/smart jacket yet, so when I go out I'll wear my Levi's black parka jacket (actually a present for my younger sister as it's too casual for my taste but it was too small for her and on sale and non refundable so I might as well wear it between seasons:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.