• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, I guess I come at this from a different perspective. WAYWRN has always had an element of feedback to it--many people are posting here in order to become better dressers, to develop their style, etc. Feedback helps to do this.

If this was nothing other than a circlejerk where every fit is met with a chorus of "Awesome!" and "Well done!", no one improves. No one learns that their clothes don't come close to fitting them, that mixing six patterns of the same scale is a bad idea, or that neon red doesn't look good on, well, anyone. Further, if it was only to show off what you were wearing, regardless of how well the fit works, and with no feedback, this would speak very negatively about those posting there--that it is simply a matter of narcissism, wanting a bunch of positive feedback, genuine or not, about what they are wearing.

Certainly, feedback should be polite and constructive. "Stay off teh intarwebz, n00b" doesn't help anyone improve. But I strongly disagree that terrible fits shouldn't be called such.

I'd rather have harsh feedback that's constructive than none at all. That said, critical feedback tends to fall into a few camps: there are people who get what you're trying to do, but think it would be better if..., and then there are people who just don't get it and think you should nuke the whole thing and wear totally different clothes. You have to figure out your approach on your own -- there are things that have gotten no love on here that I'm likely to wear again, and then there are minor critiques which have been distinctly thought-provoking and have had more of an impact.

Rdiaz, that's really great. The BD collar works really well there.

twistoffat

Reaction score

See, I guess I come at this from a different perspective. WAYWRN has always had an element of feedback to it--many people are posting here in order to become better dressers, to develop their style, etc. Feedback helps to do this.

Certainly, feedback should be polite and constructive. "Stay off teh intarwebz, n00b" doesn't help anyone improve. But I strongly disagree that terrible fits shouldn't be called such.

I agree with you wholly, but just as some spend so much time choosing their clothing, I would sometimes expect that equal time would be takne when choosing their words. I felt Stilig was given an unjust ripping rather than correctional advice.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have to figure out your approach on your own -- there are things that have gotten no love on here that I'm likely to wear again, and then there are minor critiques which have been distinctly thought-provoking and have had more of an impact.

Rdiaz, that's really great. The BD collar works really well there.

This is very true--you have to figure out what works for you, and you have to develop a filter for feedback. Quite a bit of feedback is misguided or just plain terrible, and you need to learn which is which. Some people like very classic clothing, some people like very modern clothing, and you have to keep that in mind when you parse feedback.

I felt Stilig was given an unjust ripping rather than correctional advice.

Stilig's feedback started positive--everyone loved the jacket, etc, but pointed out that the skintight cargos didn't look good at all. Then he posted several more fits also in skin tight cargos, or jackets that just plain didn't fit, in any aesthetic. This is where the feedback became a bit more tough--people tried to give him feedback, and he ignored it and kept posting things that were flagrantly bad in many ways, with no attempt to improve or demonstrate at least that this was part of a conscious decision to improve the overall fit. I still think he has a great sense of style and has a lot of potential, but thus far all of his fits have been ruined by the skintight fits and uber-#menswear cargos. If that's really what he's going for, fine, but he's not like to find much love for that on this board.

Certainly, he can wear whatever he wants, and as I said above, he doesn't have to listen to anyone's criticisms. But to post a fit that met with near universal criticism for the pents, and then continue to post more with the exact same problem, you've got to expect that it's going to meet with pushback. It's not trying to improve at all--it's just saying "look at me!".

You can certainly do a very modern aesthetic like this--Tirailleur does it extremely well. Not something I would wear myself, but I have great respect for what it is. Stilig's fits didn't fall into this category, though.

Last edited:

twistoffat

Reaction score

You can certainly do a very modern aesthetic like this--Tirailleur does it extremely well. Not something I would wear myself, but I have great respect for what it is. Stilig's fits didn't fall into this category, though.

Then lets just say his pants were too tight but the criticism too loose :)

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Twistoff I don't this. Again ibgave him constructive feedback. So did FlyingMonkey. There were some rude comments from others but most of the feedback was civil

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Clap, you're quite the tall gent, so for the tail of the skinny end of that tie to be that long, that tie must measure...??

don't know it's OTR Altea ...tree fiddy maybe....

my neck is a little over 16inch

Last edited:

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would be great if you could leave your vote for me:
http://mrporterglobalstyle.com/style/vienna/789

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clapy, as usual, wins the best hair award.

you two need to do a hair-off battle poll... :)

On another note, regardless of what one thinks of the outfits posted in it, this thread is always near its worst when it goes meta/emo about how/whether feedback is given. Within a few posts, such discussion inevitably devolves into Milton-esque laments about its collective fall from greatness and then the discussion becomes truly pathetic. It's always better when the thread's about folks posting pics and talking about them.

Also, Meta/emo would be an awesome name for a Pokemon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics