• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's shocking to me to see that so many are against new things here. Everyone post the same ''normal'' outfits which is great. Classic is always the best way to go, as for work that's how I dress aswell.

But on my spare time I like very much to go crazy with colors, scarfs and just go the wrong way with everything. Stilig is doing such way and many others here on SF and once they do, you all piss over it.

Posting outfits here is not about rules or the way YOU LIKE IT. It's what you are wearing right now , not how ugly it is. And many of you that comment so harsch on everyone, post even worse outfit then the guy himself.

Instead of being rude, try to see the good things about the outfit. Something new, fresh, someone who dares to go the other way.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
You have a fair point, Hampton. This is "Classic Menswear", but still (much to my annoyance!) tolerates jeans, loafers without socks and other such monstrosities. And you're right, the young fellow here is not the only blog-reading i-gent hipster to post by any means, and you're right too that others get a far more tolerant response. But I think the line crossed here is about extreme fit as much as style.

Don't worry, Stilig, People can be rough around here but they'll get used to you. Actually, I think a lot of people like a lot of what you've done there - me included. And for doing something different, I admire your balls. I just don't want to see them.
facepalm.gif

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting outfits here is not about rules or the way YOU LIKE IT. It's what you are wearing right now , not how ugly it is. And many of you that comment so harsch on everyone, post even worse outfit then the guy himself.

Hampton, this is a forum for discussion. If you are certain you look good and really don't care to have others discuss it, then you shouldn't post here. This is actually why there is a photos only, no discussion version of WAYWRN in SW&D - perhaps you should start a similar no discussion thread here if you object to discussion.

And I think you miss the point about the critique here - people haven't been particularly harsh on Stilig. It's not because they don't like new things - you will notice that the most detailed critique came from Tirailleur, who is the epitome of everything you seem to think isn't allowed here - and yet, his style is widely admired in MC. Why do you think this is? You see, the thing about style is is that ultimately it works or it doesn't, although why it works or not is based on a variety of different things. Now Stilig isn't actually doing something new or different in this outfit - and I am only talking about this outfit, not making any generalization about his style or his personality or anything else - in fact, what he is doing comes across as a too perfect copy of the over-accessorized Pitti Uomo / GQ / #menswear / fashion thing that we are all very, very familiar with. It's not because it's not 'classic', it's because it has an almost caricatured look about it.

But as I said, it's a thin line between what Tirailleur does and this particular outfit. Learning the subtle differences that make things fall on one side or other of the line is what this forum is all about - and discussion is essential to that. We've all taken our hits here at various times and we all have to learn how to learn from this in whatever way we choose.

Ergudmun

Reaction score
Really agree with you Hampton! I find Stilig's picture to be one of the best in the last pages (except the scarf). It is traditional in case of style: flannel trousers, odd jacket, navy tie and crisp white shirt. The different is the fit, which I think a lot of the conservative "classic menswear" members on SF dislike.

I find the fit to be spot on. If you have a build which is lean, why not go with a slim pair of trousers and fitted jacket. IMO it looks much better than a baggy pair of flannel trousers. This is a modern interpretation of a classic look. And it works great here for Stilig.

Is "Classic menswear" synonymous with "Classic Fitted Menswear"?

Even though it is a Pitti look, it doesn't mean that it isn't a classic, or a good look for that matter.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hampton There is a difference between giving helpful critique and being rude and I certainly was not in my post. I for one do not fall under the classic menswear umbrella. **** SF uses one of my fits as the SWD banner. The issue is that the look isn't very original. I am all for experimenting and pushing the limits but let us not kid ourselves and say me or flying monkey are hating simply because it isn't "classic" (which in itself is false). I don't know Stilig so I have nothing against his personality but IMO and in the grand scheme of things... I hate to say it but the look is terrible. That comes with the territory of trying to experiment. You nail some you bomb some. Most of us praised the individual pieces but the execution was not up to par so... If that is your definition of rude... Then oh well.

Being stylish is all about invoking your personality within the clothes. Making it very personal and expressing that to your audience successfully. It is almost like you are convincing us that the look is exclusively yours. Stilig's look is unfortunately entirely borrowed from too many places and really doesn't show his personality and I can easily tell. it comes off abit lifeless... You can't knock people for not praising a cover band when the original exists can you?

Anyway Stilig I have no beef with you at all... Just thought I could provide some advice
biggrin.gif

here are some members that do what you are trying to do well... It would be awesome to look thought their pics

Spoo
TTO
W.o.e. is me
Barims
EFV
LabelKing
Ian GP

Last edited:

totolino85

Reaction score
No. Jacket/tie/PS/shirt = nice, use of scarf = awkward (why not put it outside the SC?), pents = painted on, shoes = meh, chain = WTF WERE U THINKERN?!
That jacket really isn't my piece of cake but the guy posting it is probably 20-something like I'm ,give us creding in trying to dress elegant-ish rather than in ****** dior\gucci\whatever sneakers and marsupial football players tshirts for 150 dollars..I mean I personally get great inspiration from many of you many times, but many more It's full of pics AA of suits so boring and old looking that it seems looking at a richard gere movie from the 90' !(some guys here have trousairs so long I'd cut aways 5 inches). Out of respect I only comment on pics that I like , that's a choice... but if you have to be criticize , and by all means do it, try to be constructive ..

All of the above said with the utmost respect.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Plus there is nothing "modern" about those pants... They are just too tight. If you post that at the SW&D section they will say the same thing.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My DB silk suit and most regal fedora.
As previously suggested, I have now had my trousers slimmed, and the seat taken up.
I will get some new pictures of the slimmed down trousers.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here it is with Ralph Lauren Purple Label double breasted coat.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Now THAT is having the balls to go your own way. Quality, fit, and originality. And no scrotal revelation whatsoever. Tibor, that is awesome.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's shocking to me to see that so many are against new things here. Everyone post the same ''normal'' outfits which is great. Classic is always the best way to go, as for work that's how I dress aswell.

But on my spare time I like very much to go crazy with colors, scarfs and just go the wrong way with everything. Stilig is doing such way and many others here on SF and once they do, you all piss over it.

Instead of being rude, try to see the good things about the outfit. Something new, fresh, someone who dares to go the other way.

Hampton, I do like Stilig's style, but everything is just way too tight. Slim is OK, but tight just doesn't fit.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The theme of the day is purple and grey.

Suit - BB
Shirt & tie - Lewin
Cufflinks - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
PS - no name brand
Shoes - BB Peals
Topcoat - JAB
Scarf - Ede & Ravenscroft
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plaid on plaid - I'm not sure it works here, but I really like the burnt orange of the tie with the brown PoW of the suit. I probably just should get a plain tie in burnt orange.

Austin Reed signature line suit
Belisario MTM shirt
Mountain & Sackett wool tie
Drakes wool/silk PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads