• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a, how should I say, terrible sense of matching a tie... Is there any link that I could use to learn more about the matching patterns? Thanks.

yes, right here.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/308035/on-pattern-coordination-between-jacket-shirt-tie/0_20

read from that thread, keep trying new things and posting. take note, like literally take notes on a paper or computer doc, if you need to to remember, of the advise you are given, and try to build on it. do that and you will see definite improvement.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand this is a casual outfit, but for exactly that reason, a non-white shirt would be infinitely better. A blue OCBD would have been perfect. And casual or not, those shoes are godawful.

Pocket square tip: poof it so there is only one hump.

Thanks foo. I wore my blue ocbd yesterday, but I literally thought that exact thought this morning as I chose my shirt.

You don't like my Indy boots? I saw snow on the forecast today, hence their presence. I have some suede long wings en route. Next time my feet will be shod with those.

Thanks again

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A lot of dislike for what M0bbie put together but I will say this, one bright spot is that each individual item looks pretty good, it's the matching that isn't on point. It's just a matter of matching the right piece to the right piece and you will be rocking it.

Yes, but selecting nice looking things is the easy part. As has been said a thousand times, one of the biggest problems with this thread is the emphasis on collecting cool-looking stuff over dressing well.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks foo. I wore my blue ocbd yesterday, but I literally thought that exact thought this morning as I chose my shirt.

You don't like my Indy boots? I saw snow on the forecast today, hence their presence. I have some suede long wings en route. Next time my feet will be shod with those.

Thanks again

No prob. I guess I just don't like Indy boots then. They look super clumsy. I have no idea why they are such forum darlings.

I think I have one white OCBD that I got way back in college when I went on an OCBD binge and bought one of each possible color. You'd think something that sounds like such a staple would be more useful--and maybe it was in another era--but it's actually quite dissonant today. White implies the most formal on the spectrum of business formal, yet a buttondown collar is at the most casual end.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have on a white BD today and wore one to dinner Sunday :)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess it was too high up for me to notice. :(

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I basically agree that it is not that useful and I actually no longer have one in real oxford, mine is pinpoint. I have a thing about "white at night" and I really don't like a spread collar with odd jackets, so this this a good shirt for a weekend or holiday dinner out. As for today, I dressed like a 1950s college prof on purpose, so it's correct in context.

In HS and college the white OCBD was my go-to shirt and stuck with it in my early working days. That was a long time ago, of course, when the last embers of "trad'--before it became an internet thing--were still smoldernig in Northern California.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you ever wanted to go Thom Browne, I bet you could wear one with your tux too.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No prob. I guess I just don't like Indy boots then. They look super clumsy. I have no idea why they are such forum darlings.

I think I have one white OCBD that I got way back in college when I went on an OCBD binge and bought one of each possible color. You'd think something that sounds like such a staple would be more useful--and maybe it was in another era--but it's actually quite dissonant today. White implies the most formal on the spectrum of business formal, yet a buttondown collar is at the most casual end.

I think the Indy boot thing is kind of along the lines of that weird junction of "American Heritage" and "#Menswear" 2-3 years ago when places like J.Crew were pairing Made-in-the-USA Red Wing boots with suits in their catalogues. I don't think they're forum darlings as much anymore, but I'm glad to own them for their utility and quality.

I'd like to get maybe one or two more shades of blue OCBD—I wear them a lot, I find, and it'd be nice to have maybe a lighter shade to mix it up (or when I want to wear a blue OCBD back to back).

I have on a white BD today and wore one to dinner Sunday :)
I basically agree that it is not that useful and I actually no longer have one in real oxford, mine is pinpoint. I have a thing about "white at night" and I really don't like a spread collar with odd jackets, so this this a good shirt for a weekend or holiday dinner out. As for today, I dressed like a 1950s college prof on purpose, so it's correct in context.
In HS and college the white OCBD was my go-to shirt and stuck with it in my early working days. That was a long time ago, of course, when the last embers of "trad'--before it became an internet thing--were still smoldernig in Northern California.

Until, oh, 5-6 months ago, I'd have never given a thought at all to wearing a white OCBD with anything I wanted. Then I read in some thread your admonishment that white, being more formal, makes it an odd duck and therefore it doesn't pair well with casual outfits (like, say, a gunclub jacket with suede elbow patches). Now, I can never forget that injunction and feel a little bit off when I wear it with anything but a navy blazer and black knit tie or something.

Darn you Manton! (and by that I mean thank you)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

If you ever wanted to go Thom Browne, I bet you could wear one with your tux too.

According to Flusser, this is done in hoity-toity New England circles, but I have never seen it. never worn black tie in NE either.

Last edited:

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But Thom has gone all cutaway spread this season!

http://www.wwd.com/runway/mens-fall-collections-2013/review/thom-browne

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not speaking to mossrocks fit in specific. certainly the blue OCBD is going to be the general choice of preference in a casual outfit, but sometimes, a white OCBD adds a level of brightness that i think is quite nice in the right outfit.

konda

Reaction score
Never contributed to this thread before so I'll throw in some pics from the immediate past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads