• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought you wanted to have the secondary color of the PS to be near, but not the same, the primary color of the tie, and for the primary color of the PS to simply not clash with everything else. Or I guess it could be flipped. Regardless, anything outside of white linen scares me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

im hoping. last time was a great success.

You are kidding me right? To me he looks like he is wearing his own label. It's good to be able to make RTW in your exact size.
http://www.howardyount.com/collections/suits/products/windowpane-suit-blue-gray-and-brown

i assumed so, but i am supremely lazy, and i didnt check the site. your link certainly looks to be it. thanks!

also, i have read through most of those links you refereed me to in the watch thread. i am mulling it over before i reply.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't posted in here in forever:

For some reason I thought you were Asian.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitchy I was completely kidding!! I agree with you 100%.... I should have posted my sarcasm meter (8) (it's a scale of 0-10 right?). The PS should "match" but not "match"... it's a mutually exclusive enigma, inside a riddle, wrapped in a mystery. :wow:
I was trying to be elliptically humorous... my tone was not well conveyed. But having read the whole post I do truly agree. Sometimes it does just look better if it "matches" for real.

Lol! My man. I figured you were, i just wanted to reference your cool hair. :p

For some reason I thought you were Asian.

Im on my phone. Someone please post the "cable guy" i think he was aaaaaasian jpeg.

Last edited:

Baverso

Reaction score

preface, sorry to use you as a sounding board, but you verbalized something i have not been quite able to that has been on my mind for a while.
this sums up my issue with PSs, at least the way they are preached here, by in large. it seems the idea is to not really have your PS "match" what you are wearing, but that it still "match" what you are wearing. if there are any duplicate colors it is too "deliberate."
well guess what, pretty much everyone here is "deliberate" about what they wear, very much so as a matter of fact. i mean hell, we come here every day to talk about the deliberate choices we make with our clothing. to try and pretend that ones clothing decisions were anything but deliberate is just tomfoolery (i love that word).
additionally, i generally find that its enough to wear a shirt and tie that are not the same color as each other or the jacket, but still "match." i find when you throw in a PS that is yet another color/pattern, it more often than not just becomes too broad of a landscape, and makes the whole thing less coherent than it would have been without the PS. however, when you have a PS that has an element that draws on another piece of the puzzle, i think it all pulls together much more pleasantly to the eye.
now, maybe i have to be fired from SF for saying that, but thats how i see it. ya'll can hate the matchy match all you want, but sometimes, **** has to match to make sense to the eye. at least most eyes. and while some may say that next level eyes can appreciate all the lack of matching, i think sometimes thats just a bunch of hooey, and people trying to sound/look fancy, when in fact its just dumb.
:)

Hey Stitches. Your argument makes a couple valid points where I can agree with you. First and foremost, this being SF, majority of photos posted are inherently deliberate. You also raised a valid argument about our hysteria over matchiness, that sometimes matchiness just works.

But I cannot describe in words why the following picture has a PS which to my eye is more coherent than spoo's, despite using a similar concept. The smaller motifs within the PS closely match his jacket, while the ground does not. Therefore the PS is in concept similar to the spoo picture, but the matchiness of the motif doesn't detract from the look. Or maybe it's because this guy is such a Big Timer. :nodding:

Last edited:

Baverso

Reaction score

I haven't posted in here in forever:

This is a great look. The checks are shear gorgeousity. I'd prefer the lower quarters to be more closed though.

I laughed a little as I wondered what you were holding the book for. It reminded me of a travelling bible salesman... and your lean on the umbrella sends the message that you know bartitsu and I'm due for massive beatings for saying that.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
What's up, you jokers.

Paul Smith green windowpane suit
Finamore purple stripe shirt
Sam Hober unlined, monogrammed 7 fold tie
Kiton pochette
Rollie 50 anno
Unseen DC Lewis Matthew Dubmunx
Creed Royal Scottish Lavender

That suit drives me insane. It's a nailhead? (with a windowpane)

Quote:

Love the triple windowpane and the patch pockets!

Albert Hal

Reaction score

More vintage/second and and more color! Jacket: Schlasberg before 1978, Turtle neck: new John Smedley

Holdfast: Orange with red stripes works. You can´t guess how many compliments I have got dressed in orange.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit, tie, PS, shoes - BB
Shirt and cufflinks - Charles Tyrwhitt
Watch chain - vintage

IMG_1763597x1280.jpg

IMG_1762469x1280.jpg

IMG_17591083x1280.jpg

IMG_1760945x1280.jpg

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I laughed a little as I wondered what you were holding the book for. It reminded me of a travelling bible salesman... and your lean on the umbrella sends the message that you know bartitsu and I'm due for massive beatings for saying that.

I seem to recall from somewhere that he is an editor for his day job, so that could explain part of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarieMehan