1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, it's light blue.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

End of the day...

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  3. Duder

Duder Active Member

here is my first go:

[​IMG]

Tom Ford Shirt
    Garrison Bespoke 3pc suit
    John Lobb Derby's in Gold Museum

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    5 people like this.
  4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I'm surprised at how many people drive with their jackets on...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

@mimo: those images give me the impression that you are about to pop like a balloon. no offense.

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yeah, whatever. I'm not doing any bikini modelling lately, that's for sure, but the pic does make me look even odder than usual. Anyway, this jacket just isn't right, though. Had it adjusted twice because it was too baggy in front and rumpled around the neck..now it's too tight across the back of the shoulders...might be time to write it off as a wrong'un, although I do like the cloth. Maybe one more go, with the new tailor...

Anyway, to the point: is the light grey tie on pink shirt a bit too....80s?

8. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

There's definitely something wrong with the jacket, and I can't quite say what it is. It looks boxy and frumpy in some dimensions, yet too tight in others. It would take a better-than-average alterations tailor to save the day.

Light gray on pink is a terrific combo in any decade, but that particular tie just isn't doing anything for your look. Neither are the contrasting laces and loud socks. You might get away with one or the other, but not both at once. In your most recent pic you look like a reverse mullet: All business up on top; party on the bottom.

9. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Looks Like the shoulders are too small which is why it's pulling so much in the chest and overlapping so much below the buttoning point. the overlap is what makes you look pear shaped.

Before you spend more on the shoulders, I really think it will be a very difficult job.

10. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

well done, sir.

11. nolanmjj

nolanmjj Well-Known Member

re: mimo, jacket looks way too short, tie is meh, contrast laces....just a bit much that's way too noticeable in my unhumble opinion

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

That's not an FC shirt with tweed, right? :devil:

1 person likes this.
  13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Agreed on all counts. Length of jacket makes you look square.

14. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

That tie is horrible.

Mimo - that pose is not doing anything for the fit of your suits/sc. You're throwing your shoulders waaay back and the shoulder-width feet is good for golf, bad for online forum posting. Try to stand a little more naturally and things should go better.

Second, in an attempt to channel vox with regards to the contrast lacing, you're trying to bring a "fun" element into an outfit that is, on its face, almost completely city formal. As such it is not "fun," but jarring and wrong-looking

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The tie is a bit more burgundy than the picture...the light was doing funny things with that tie. Worn with rough khaki chinos and brown loafers. And I'm aware the shirt's probably too formal for the cardigan...I just have way too many such shirts and not enough in oxford cloth (I like wearing dress shirts untucked with jeans fairly regularly)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

R u saying ur wearing this outfit untucked? Or in general?

17. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

As odd as some of my tastes are, I'd never wear a tie with an untucked shirt. That's just...[​IMG]

18. Albert Hal

Albert Hal Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More vintage: My favourite jacket from the 70´s in a new combination. Please excuse me, the scarf is new.

11 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Thanks a lot! No, really...I figure it's far more useful to post something I'm not sure about and get some frank comments as to why. Friends always tell you when they think you look fabulous; most are less forthcoming when they don't think you look quite right. Maybe I'll post something I really like soon and give you a chance to hurt my feelings [​IMG]

Regarding the shape/pose, it's partly the exaggerated perspective from my little pocket camera. Makes it look like I'm falling over backwards somehow. Noted on the wide stance too, although that's actually a bit a curious real life habit. Anyway, will bear it in mind next time. But yeah, Cantabrigian is right; the shoulders are just too small and it pulls everything else out of shape. There are a few things wrong with it overall and it's almost time to give up. I've two more pinstripes inbound from the guy who couldn't fix this one (not the charlatans who made it). Stuff he's made before has been OK, so will see how the pinstripe replacements turn out later in the week. But I'm also trying new tailors with a test (an over the top smoking jacket to my own design; always wanted one for nothing in particular), so if they do well with that, I'll let them have one last go at fixing this cockeyed bastard of a suit jacket. If that doesn't work, then the charity shop beckons...thank you for the unequivocal confirmation!

I'm a bit surprised at the panning of the tie though. Generally it gets some good feedback, but as I mentioned, I agree it doesn't work with this. Threadbearer, I'm sure you're right that grey and pink are a good match - that was in my mind too - but maybe the blue spot pattern on this tie is too bold to work that angle? I will give it another run with a blue shirt and a different suit, and see if Mr Umbrella still thinks it's "horrible"! Maybe he's right, but I'll try it another combo that I've worn more before, and see what the expert critics think!

As for the socks and laces, I'll just take that on the chin. It's not as obvious and prominent without a special highlight picture of course, but it is a deliberate affectation that I feel somehow suits my expansive personality (I guess you'll have to take my word for that bit..!) Sometimes I'm in that mood, sometimes not. Half my shoes have "normal" laces, half have some kind of variation, of which this pair is probably the most noticeable, being a light colour on a very formal black cap toe. My next black pair will probably be left "standard". And sometimes I wear plain dark socks too. But every day is different, and I'm happy to leave this one as something some will love to hate.

Thanks again for commenting; some awesome pics over the last couple of days that I didn't get around to commenting on, too.

1 person likes this.
  20. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Long time no post folks. Have enjoyed the thread lately with the more fall items appearing. Keep up the good work. Sorry for crappy macbook photos today. New SC courtesy of Jamesgatz, canali kei jacket and my first jacket of this type (unstructured "soft" jacket). Concerned the shoulders are too big and the sleeves too long but everything else seems ok? Thoughts? Sorry if it is unclear but I am wearing dark jeans. AE brown wingtip boots on the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.