• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand the jacket is not for everyone. It requires steel balls, a razor sharp wit, and a Reagan-esque charisma.

O, most Acerbic of Ovines, I grant you steel balls, and a razor sharp wit, but I rankle at the idea that your charms are Reagan-esque - but that's speaking from the intensely bluish area of a blue state, do forgive me.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a6f84889-83ec-fbcf.jpg
Dinner Jacket and shirt: Zegna.
Tie: Turnbull and Asser
Silver knot studs: Tiffany and Co.
Cufflinks and shoes: Brooks Brothers

It seems like alot of your suit jackets tend to be too long. and alot of your pants need a good hemming.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I wore just for this picture...If I go from this...

...to this, via a tailor nipping from the airmpit on down (please ignore how I'm pulling apart the quarters) is it too much of an adjustment? I am holding about 3 inches of fabric in the back.

Thanks for the feedback.
Further commentary here if you're really bored.

Last edited:

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tie measures at 3.5" widest point..... hardly wide isn't it? Maybe because the other end is sticking out to the side giving it that illusion.
Thanks on her compliment :)

You are very classy. :bigstar:

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

O, most Acerbic of Ovines, I grant you steel balls, and a razor sharp wit, but I rankle at the idea that your charms are Reagan-esque - but that's speaking from the intensely bluish area of a blue state, do forgive me.

Atlanta is as blue as my woolly homeland of Massachusetts; a concrete slab of multicultural donkey surrounded by a sea of bloodthirsty, rabid elephants.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@ Cousin Donuts

You look to be approx the same shape as me. I have a tendency to do the same as you, i.e. reach behind on my RTW jackets and if I can grab a handful of cloth from the width at the small of the back it's off to the tailors for some nipping. Watch out that you done nip so much that you end up with the turkey triangle due to too-open quarters, as appears in your second photo. One trick is to button your bottom button when the tailor is pinning your jacket so he can't reduce the width too much, then when he's finished pinning, unbutton it and hey presto, you SHOULD have the right amount ready to be reduced and the right angle of opening in the front quarters without exposing your lower tie blade and belt buckle. Good luck!

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have decided to take Style Forum advice and have my suits drastically slimmed down especially the pants. Pics soon to follow.

Would that mean you'd have to shrink the size of your hats? My gut feel is that the fullness of your hats helps balance the fullness of your pants.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Atlanta is as blue as my woolly homeland of Massachusetts; a concrete slab of multicultural donkey surrounded by a sea of bloodthirsty, rabid elephants.

I am glad that my favorite ovine has found congenial (and blue) grazing ground, and I note that we are both scions of the Commonwealth.

Hmmm. I wish you success, but be prepared for a failed experiment.

Tibor, as someone who spent considerable time and effort having suits re-tailored downward in size (only to soon thereafter donate them to charity), I cannot help but agree with Vox's assessment - your 40's style attire, with alterations, may make you look unhappily like a fullback (in uniform) if it is taken in to more current standards of fit without adjustments to the shoulders. Tread carefully.

cronicmole

Reaction score
IanGP- I'm shocked you're asian. Also, double monks don't look good with that suit and tie.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would that mean you'd have to shrink the size of your hats? My gut feel is that the fullness of your hats helps balance the fullness of your pants.

They will still be full and straight. Just noticeably slimmer.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am glad that my favorite ovine has found congenial (and blue) grazing ground, and I note that we are both scions of the Commonwealth.
Tibor, as someone who spent considerable time and effort having suits re-tailored downward in size (only to soon thereafter donate them to charity), I cannot help but agree with Vox's assessment - your 40's style attire, with alterations, may make you look unhappily like a fullback (in uniform) if it is taken in to more current standards of fit without adjustments to the shoulders. Tread carefully.

We will see. I think I have a good eye and so does my new tailor. I think it will work out well. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads