• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Great tie in the first but the PS is a bit close in pattern to the suit fabric. The combining in the second look is spot on.

Cheers, sir. Agreed on the PS pattern. Working on finding another PS in the brown color family

Originally Posted by TRINI
Great tie.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Very nice combining - but what on earth was going on with the quarter of your jacket?

Thanks...and I'm surprised no one else brought this up. I'm not sure where that crease came from--I suspect it had something to do with someone sitting on it on the subway or how I was sitting during a meeting earlier in the day. I'll get it pressed before next wear.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I think it should be the unofficial SF photo.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
IMG_0407.jpg

Ooops.

- B

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in this day and age, one of the wonderful things about what one chooses to wear, is that there are very few standards and rules, especially as a younger person.

I wore suits and fedoras to a public High school of over 3,000 students, and had no issues I couldn't handle, in fact it was quite well received. My only real standards to hold myself to, is to always remain positive, to be genuine, to have self respect, and to respect everyone I meet. This usually makes people feel comfortable no matter what one wears in any environment. Usually people will say something like this when they first meet me. "You look elegant, I like your style." "You must be an old soul" You look sharp, are you coming from an event?" and of course we all get, "Why are you wearing a suit?" In which I just smile and say "Its elegant and it makes me happy." It works every time. I know my way isn't the right way, its just my way.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Hitting up the local Long Beach bars, messing around with some color, and some new stuff (DB navy blazer, burgundy pants, and C&J Lowndes kicks):

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

myke

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing the seersucker to beat the heat.

DSC03161.jpg

DSC03152.jpg

DSC03156.jpg

Lee Baron, Leather Goods Connection, BB, Alden, Accutron

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure why I'm making this stupid face (possibly because I just stepped off an international flight) but an action shot I found while going through some old pics. Jacket has since been finished, fabric is by W. Bill.

p1010415i.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Hitting up the local Long Beach bars, messing around with some color, and some new stuff (DB navy blazer, burgundy pants, and C&J Lowndes kicks):

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

myke

Nice, like the burgundy.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeroconspiracy
I appreciate the sentiment, because that was my knee-jerk reaction as well, however I feel it is a little extreme given the sound observation. Recently, I went to a bar/club in town and wanted to kick it up a notch with a suit (minus the tie). It was my style and I felt comfortable in it. However, the scene that night was very much a hispter/urban relaxed feel. I knew this going in and thought as you did 'whatever, I wont let their style dictate mine' but then I stuck out in an awkward way.
eh.gif
The reason it was awkward is because it was so out of place for this bar to be wearing a suit. I am typically a more conservative dresser and dash in various pieces of flare. My mistake is that I felt like I needed ripped up skin tight jeans or an extra-tall T to fit in. I could have very easily worn my favorite Lacoste polo with some slacks (maybe even jeans!) and some sensible sneakers. This would not have compromised my style in the least but would have been way more appropriate for the venue and stood out in a GOOD way. A suit at the office is conservative - at this particular club it was flamboyant. You can go to a tennis match in a suit and you can go in "ripped jeans or cargo shorts or flip flops or a t shirt" but why would you want to? there is plenty of gray area to play in between those two extremes to show your true ability to adapt to any situation while coming out on top stylish as ever. Just my two cents...
smile.gif

I am still young, and I hang out with hipsters enough to appreciate the situation you are talking about. I do go to those parties or concerts where people are dressed as hipsters, and I dress still dress like myself. I would wear a blazer with dark denim, dark brown shoes, and a button up shirt without a tie, and a crazy/loud pocketsquare (usually a paisley). That is my casual look to school/parties/going out. However, I can still come straight from work dressed up:
2r5teo9.jpg
I think you need to be more confident in what you are wearing. Even when I know I am overdressed, I don't let it bother me. I always say, "came from work." if questioned. Most women tend to like the change of pace compared to the other men wearing t shirts, baseball caps, and jeans. Most people know me to be well dressed and are surprised when they see me otherwise. I had a guy laugh after he saw me take off my tie one night, saying, "I've never seen you do that."
Originally Posted by Newcomer
It is not that I let my friends dictate what I wear, it is that I normally let the circumstance that I am in dictate what I wear. This kind of situation is one that I feel most SFers have confronted in their lives. I feel that the point of dressing is not to stick out, but rather to conform but be noticed. Let me elaborate upon this notion. A well dressed man does not stick out, in my opinion--the man wearing a flamboyant tie sticks out. Instead, although he is noticed, it is due to the subtleties of his dress. Despite wearing a navy suit, white shirt, brown shoes, and a blue tie like the rest of the people around him, it is the fit and quality of these items that cause his outfit to be remembered by others. When I see an outfit on WAYWRN that is truly inspiring, I have difficulty complimenting any particular element of it. It is the combination of all the different parts that make the whole so extraordinary. As for compliments, I do not like to use them as a litmus test for whether or not my outfit is a 'success.' Compliments are usually given to a particular item that sticks out, as that is what people immediately notice. That is not to say that there is not such a thing as a good compliment, but I am merely stating that I am often hesitant of them. I do not think that one should ever strive to be out of place. As Zeroconspiracy so eloquently stated, there is a substantial amount of gray area to work with. I am sorry if you found my former statement offensive, but I did not wish for it to be interpreted in that way. This topic is one that I struggle with as well.
So far as compliments, it's usually along the lines of, "you look nice." more than, "nice tie." Though I do occasionally get those as well. I do concern myself with fit, and it's the most important thing to me, but I'm not necessarily trying to blend into the crowd. If anything, for me at my age, I'm trying to show that I won't mindlessly wear t-shirts and jeans and tennis shoes like everyone else who is 19. I put thought into what I wear and I have no shame in showing up with a blazer and a pocketsquare with a button up shirt. People take notice because it's not the generic & invisible uniform of the teenager and twenty-something.
Originally Posted by IBJanky
IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg
myke

AWESOME look. Details on that DB blazer? I can never find one trim enough to my liking.

PTWilliams

Reaction score

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland
I respectfully disagree with this sentiment.

Based on my colleagues dress, I would say that I am overdressed for work 70 - 90% of the time (and I'm not even dressing that formally by most standards), but I don't base anything on my colleagues dress because it is their choice to wear overly casual, unflattering, and sometimes hideous clothes. Why the hell should should that influence me to do the same? Or the OP at the venue he is at? What's more is that I haven't ever received any flack for what I wear, so I personally think you're giving too much power to the status quo as set by others.

I'd say that the more valid reason to at least keep an eye on the tone of the situation is that if you always dress in a particular way, it can seem like you only have one look.

As long as you keep it fresh and change things up based on the situation, it doesn't matter if you "match" the people around you - You can still be the best dressed person in the room, no matter what the style is, but it's always good to change it up.

Also, I thoroughly approve of the dude who goes to a hip-hop show looking like a fifteen year old but dressing like a 60 year old
nod[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems