• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I like this look alot. That is a great SC.

Mike

Thanks - very cheap chainstore diffusion line from a British designer who seems to do hardly anything but diffusion these days - I swapped the grotty navy plastic buttons for MoP and against SF advice re-pressed the lapels from a hard 3 button.

Originally Posted by ld111134
Swap the monks for black oxfords and this is very much the London solicitor look. I like the use of pink.

Originally Posted by barims
Well played, boys

Originally Posted by Fantastic Mr Foxx
- Me Likey
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by elgreco
Okay, that's it -- I'm getting a navy knit tie.
Actually it's more of a royal blue blue - but yes you need a navy knit tie
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Very good. I love the contrast between a dark jacket/top half and white trousers. I think you've inspired me to do my minimalist version of this tomorrow...
minimalist? you?
lol8[1].gif

Linen time:
Especially for MoK, I did an after work crumplevision shot... and was rather suprised how well the suit held up in the office:

Hey mine look like that five minutes after taking it off the hanger
wink.gif

I like yesterday's, but much prefer the flapped pockets on this one.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Half day today as vacation begins! Decided on the invisible tie. I'll be lurking all week, but no poasts unless Villebrequins are SF approved.

67a5cd8d.jpg

- Nicely done Spoo ... is that BB? I have a similar colored pants that are BB.
- My fit today would make you proud ... loud out the ying yang .. lol.
- Enjoy your vacay!!

Linen time:

DSC01389.jpg

Very nice Ob5. Very nice.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I guess since Spoo is vacationing, someone will have to take up the loud fit slack.

Spano suit, BR shirt, RLPL tie and vintage Cordwainer Wright wingtips. I love these shoes, they are really special in person.

Have a great Thursday.

Mike

Cord-3.JPG

Cord-2.JPG

Cord-1.JPG

Wow, wow and wow.

(this is for the suit, the shoes, and the entire outfit)

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Just want to throw in my two cents on this outfit / photo.

Before delving into my opinion, let me preface it by stating that this really is a very nice photo, and your outfit does look smashing. With that said, let me continue to the problem I have with this...

To me you simply seem anachronistic. The photo does not seem to reflect a juxtaposition of styles in my opinion, and it feels photoshopped in that you would never expect to see someone dressed as yourself at that particular venue. This is the problem in my eyes. This is the same reason why I do not and would not wear a suit to class, or wear formal wear to work. In the 1930s people wore three piece tweed suits to tennis matches, but that is what was expected to be worn. If someone showed up at a tennis match wearing a navy worsted suit and a macclestefield tie, they would seem out of place. I am a firm believer that one should dress in accordance with the situation they are in. If I am at a sports bar with friends, I will not wear a sport jacket and a bowtie. I would like to, but I just will not. Perhaps I will wear some chinos with a buttondown shirt and some chukkas. But I guess that is just opinion.

Regardless of what I believe, however, I still give you credit for adhering to a particular style that you have adopted. I find that very admirable.

So you are saying that you let your friends dictate what you wear? If I want to wear a sport jacket or blazer somewhere I do. Even if my friends are there or not. It's not like a blazer is such an uncommon item, even at a bar. Who cares if you look out of place? I couldn't stand wearing a t shirt and shorts to a tennis match. If anyone gives you ****, you give them **** back:

"Why are you wearing a blazer (insert tie, suit, dress shoes, etc. here)?"
"Why are you wearing ripped jeans or cargo shorts or flip flops or a t shirt?"

If you want to wear something, you should wear it, despite what you may think others may think. I have found that even if I second guess myself sometimes, I still get compliments on what I'm wearing.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Swap the monks for black oxfords and this is very much the London solicitor look. I like the use of pink.

I was going to wear the black Church's oxfords that I bought for my wedding, but I already wore them on Monday.
smile.gif
Thanks for the props about the pink - shirt and tie purchased at Harvie & Hudson's trunk show here in town a while back.

I've had it up to here with the City solicitors with whom I am working on a project.
angry.gif

zeroconspiracy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
So you are saying that you let your friends dictate what you wear? If I want to wear a sport jacket or blazer somewhere I do. Even if my friends are there or not. It's not like a blazer is such an uncommon item, even at a bar. Who cares if you look out of place? I couldn't stand wearing a t shirt and shorts to a tennis match. If anyone gives you ****, you give them **** back:

If you want to wear something, you should wear it, despite what you may think others may think. I have found that even if I second guess myself sometimes, I still get compliments on what I'm wearing.

I appreciate the sentiment, because that was my knee-jerk reaction as well, however I feel it is a little extreme given the sound observation.

Recently, I went to a bar/club in town and wanted to kick it up a notch with a suit (minus the tie). It was my style and I felt comfortable in it. However, the scene that night was very much a hispter/urban relaxed feel. I knew this going in and thought as you did 'whatever, I wont let their style dictate mine' but then I stuck out in an awkward way.
eh.gif

The reason it was awkward is because it was so out of place for this bar to be wearing a suit. I am typically a more conservative dresser and dash in various pieces of flare. My mistake is that I felt like I needed ripped up skin tight jeans or an extra-tall T to fit in. I could have very easily worn my favorite Lacoste polo with some slacks (maybe even jeans!) and some sensible sneakers. This would not have compromised my style in the least but would have been way more appropriate for the venue and stood out in a GOOD way. A suit at the office is conservative - at this particular club it was flamboyant.

You can go to a tennis match in a suit and you can go in "ripped jeans or cargo shorts or flip flops or a t shirt" but why would you want to? there is plenty of gray area to play in between those two extremes to show your true ability to adapt to any situation while coming out on top stylish as ever.

Just my two cents...
smile.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Wow, wow and wow.

(this is for the suit, the shoes, and the entire outfit)

Thanks, Mr. D!

Mike

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
JNO_3151.jpg

...it feels photoshopped in that you would never expect to see someone dressed as yourself at that particular venue.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'd never expect to see someone dressed that way in that particular venue;
I would, however, expect such a person to have an entourage.

Regardless of what I believe, however, I still give you credit for adhering to a particular style that you have adopted. I find that very admirable.
+1

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it should be the unofficial SF photo.

inlandisland

Reaction score
Just want to throw in my two cents on this outfit / photo.

Before delving into my opinion, let me preface it by stating that this really is a very nice photo, and your outfit does look smashing. With that said, let me continue to the problem I have with this...

I respectfully disagree with this sentiment.

Based on my colleagues dress, I would say that I am overdressed for work 70 - 90% of the time (and I'm not even dressing that formally by most standards), but I don't base anything on my colleagues dress because it is their choice to wear overly casual, unflattering, and sometimes hideous clothes. Why the hell should should that influence me to do the same? Or the OP at the venue he is at? What's more is that I haven't ever received any flack for what I wear, so I personally think you're giving too much power to the status quo as set by others.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from having lunch with some colleagues in celebration of summer break.
Just shy of 100 degrees today in the nation's capital.

Front-10.jpg

Closeup-11.jpg

shoes-5.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark

It is not that I let my friends dictate what I wear, it is that I normally let the circumstance that I am in dictate what I wear. This kind of situation is one that I feel most SFers have confronted in their lives. I feel that the point of dressing is not to stick out, but rather to conform but be noticed. Let me elaborate upon this notion. A well dressed man does not stick out, in my opinion--the man wearing a flamboyant tie sticks out. Instead, although he is noticed, it is due to the subtleties of his dress. Despite wearing a navy suit, white shirt, brown shoes, and a blue tie like the rest of the people around him, it is the fit and quality of these items that cause his outfit to be remembered by others. When I see an outfit on WAYWRN that is truly inspiring, I have difficulty complimenting any particular element of it. It is the combination of all the different parts that make the whole so extraordinary.

As for compliments, I do not like to use them as a litmus test for whether or not my outfit is a 'success.' Compliments are usually given to a particular item that sticks out, as that is what people immediately notice. That is not to say that there is not such a thing as a good compliment, but I am merely stating that I am often hesitant of them.

I do not think that one should ever strive to be out of place. As Zeroconspiracy so eloquently stated, there is a substantial amount of gray area to work with. I am sorry if you found my former statement offensive, but I did not wish for it to be interpreted in that way. This topic is one that I struggle with as well.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland
I respectfully disagree with this sentiment.

Based on my colleagues dress, I would say that I am overdressed for work 70 - 90% of the time (and I'm not even dressing that formally by most standards), but I don't base anything on my colleagues dress because it is their choice to wear overly casual, unflattering, and sometimes hideous clothes. Why the hell should should that influence me to do the same? Or the OP at the venue he is at? What's more is that I haven't ever received any flack for what I wear, so I personally think you're giving too much power to the status quo as set by others.

I understand your point entirely. However, you are at work. In my opinion, in a work environment you should be dressed in the way you describe. I am normally overdressed at my place of employment, and I do not think there is anything wrong with wearing flattering and more formal clothing. But once again, I aim to dress within the 'grey' area. I guess what I am saying is that different situations call for different 'tiers' of dress, and I am unwilling to cross these 'tiers.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads