• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually am chinese, but cant read it.
Heres the thing, the combined knowledge in this thread alone is so vast. Most of us here have dealt with very high end and very low end clothing, and through experience we can tell quality basically by looks and styles.

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but youre holding onto the idea that material trumps construction and the cut of the garment.

Lets just start with the styling, it has long collars , low gorge and lapels with an ugly droop and cut. It is very reminiscent of old 1990's dated jackets and blazers. I cant tell from photos but the padding on those look ugly and bulky.

For the other jacket, its a hard three button stance and that is also dated and not something that people wear now a days. You want a higher gorge, slightly wider lapels, and a lower button stance (but thats preference).

If you truly wanted to learn about clothing, but put some effort into learning trends and styles from all generations and you will quickly realize what style you like. If you like the vintage looks, go for it. But everyone here is giving you appropriate answers that youre looking for , but you're just shoving it back down their throats without taking it in.

Hope this clears it up a bit..

Jay

Last edited:

Crazycarl87

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I actually am chinese, but cant read it.
Heres the thing, the combined knowledge in this thread alone is so vast. Most of us here have dealt with very high end and very low end clothing, and through experience we can tell quality basically by looks and styles.

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but youre holding onto the idea that material trumps construction and the cut of the garment.

Lets just start with the styling, it has long collars , low gorge and lapels with an ugly droop and cut. It is very reminiscent of old 1990's dated jackets and blazers. I cant tell from photos but the padding on those look ugly and bulky.

For the other jacket, its a hard three button stance and that is also dated and not something that people wear now a days. You want a higher gorge, slightly wider lapels, and a lower button stance (but thats preference).

If you truly wanted to learn about clothing, but put some effort into learning trends and styles from all generations and you will quickly realize what style you like. If you like the vintage looks, go for it. But everyone here is giving you appropriate answers that youre looking for , but you're just shoving it back down their throats without taking it in.

Hope this clears it up a bit..

Jay

Perhaps you are seeing how I can motivate others to enlighten... And as you insinuated things once in fashion can soon be again. I will be looking for the material composit first and foremost... I thought I may even be able to find the man who hand made the garnmets. I appreciate your insight and stylistic critiques it truly does help me. Cheers, Carl C

Crazycarl87

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
One does not have to nod to know.

Nice chatting friend. Looks well enough made to me ;)

[/IMG]

Last edited:

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone who bragged about the college he went to, you are insanely dense. I'm starting to think this is some sort of bizarre troll marketing strategy for your r&b meets 311 band.

Crazycarl87

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't brag by the way, just laid it out there like the fellow gentleman said.. My tax consultant friend

Last edited:

misterellington

Reaction score
Okay, I know this thread slows down from time to time...but these last three pages of absolute...I mean...utter...um...

Are there no mods to clean/thermonuclearly bomb this bedsh*t? Yeeeeesh! :(

Last edited:

turkey_sandwich

Reaction score
@Crazycarl87 Speaking as a relative noob, my advice is to truly listen to what these members are saying and not get bent out of shape when you don't get the news you were expecting and/or hoping for. If you really open your ears, there are people and threads on this board that will help you immensely and save you a lot of time, energy, and money. My $.02; carry on.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Crazycarl87, the other thing that has been mentioned but you have apparently not picked up on is that the "Chinese Custom Tailor" jacket is an orphaned suit jacket. It is a suit that is missing the trousers and is not a blazer or SC. Even if you switched out the buttons with horn or corozo or something, with that design and the jetted pockets it will always be a suit jacket that is missing the trousers. As such, even if it was woven from unicorn fur it would still have limited value. The trousers are gone and can never be replaced with the same fabric. With an orphaned suit jacket from a basically unknown maker there is very little resale value regardless of what the fabric composition actually is. If you like it, fine, wear it and enjoy it, but don't get your hopes up about flipping it for a fortune on eBay or selling it to a "rich cousin." If your rich cousin knows anything about clothes, why would he want a 15-yr old orphaned suit jacket with no trousers from an unknown maker?

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Crazycarl87, the other thing that has been mentioned but you have apparently not picked up on is that the "Chinese Custom Tailor" jacket is an orphaned suit jacket. It is a suit that is missing the trousers and is not a blazer or SC. Even if you switched out the buttons with horn or corozo or something, with that design and the jetted pockets it will always be a suit jacket that is missing the trousers. As such, even if it was woven from unicorn fur it would still have limited value. The trousers are gone and can never be replaced with the same fabric. With an orphaned suit jacket from a basically unknown maker there is very little resale value regardless of what the fabric composition actually is. If you like it, fine, wear it and enjoy it, but don't get your hopes up about flipping it for a fortune on eBay or selling it to a "rich cousin." If your rich cousin knows anything about clothes, why would he want a 15-yr old orphaned suit jacket with no trousers from an unknown maker?

Unicorn fur
Funniest thing I've read in weeks

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine what unicorn fur would feel like? Holy jesus. I gotta get me some-a that!

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I thought that a google image search of 'furry unicorn' was going to give me images that weren't furries dressed up as unicorns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads