• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Cheap yes, but never seemed ironic to me. It would be more ironic to drink High-Life.

PBR is terrible, so it's ironic to drink it in such large amounts.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I actually LIKE cheap beer so I don't really get the irony. I actually think High Life is good and I drank Narragansett before I learned it was on tap for the hipsters.

What's lame is that hipsters are so affected. I tend to do things because I like them and not for effect or because of fashion. Maybe that's not a cool way to live my life, but I have a hard time finding energy for more than that.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology
Hauntology is an idea within the philosophy of history introduced by Jacques Derrida in his 1993 work Spectres of Marx. The word, a portmanteau of haunt and ology, and a homophone to ontology in Derrida's native French, deals with "the paradoxical state of the spectre, which is neither being nor non-being", according to a professor at RMIT University. [1] The idea suggests that the present exists only with respect to the past, and that society after the end of history will begin to orient itself towards ideas and aesthetics that are thought of as rustic, bizarre or "old-timey"; that is, towards the "ghost" of the past. In this, it is has some similarity with the cyberpunk literary movement. Derrida holds that because of this intellectual realignment, the end of history will be unsatisfactory and untenable. The name and concept fundamentally come from Marx's assertion that a "spectre is haunting Europe, the spectre of communism." Derrida holds that the spirit of Karl Marx is even more relevant after the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and the demise of communism, that the West's separation from the ignorance of the suffering still present in the world will "haunt" it and provide the impetus for a fresh interest in communism. The idea of hauntology has been criticised by a number of philosophers including Jurgen Habermas and Richard Rorty.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
**** irony, when I drink PBR it's because I can get a can of PBR and a shot of Jim Beam for $3 at a few of the dive bars here in Philly. If I step it up to just Jameson and a Yeungling, I'm looking at $7-10.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Soo, adbusters is trying to criticize someone for being too ironic? Adbusters? STFU
+1. As much as I dislike hipsters (I went through fun phase of it for 2 months, got bored and annoyed), this article has to be one of the most pretentious things I've ever read.

I was in an airport store and read it. I re-read it to make sure it wasn't some next-level sarcasm. It's like smack addicts talking **** to alcoholics, or that guy in Half Baked that's pissed off at the pot smoker (You ever suck dick for weed?!). Yeah hipsters are annoying but hipsters with glossy mags are just as stupid.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
potkettle.jpg

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall the hip resurgence of PBR after the immortal words of Frank in 'Blue Velvet': Heineken? **** that ****! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

I don't know how many hipsters have seen that film though. Maybe there is irony of liking a beer because of it was made hip in a film released before you were born. That would imply a knowledge of film rather than the low context, flattened world of YouTube clips though.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
You're probably right. But for hipsters, anything with a touch of the blue collar is deemed ironic.

Ummm... no?

I suppose that many people would consider the people I hang out with to be hipsters, based on the locations we frequent, the bars we drink at, the music we listen to and the houses we party at, but no one ever drank PBR because it's 'ironic,' or 'blue collar.' I always drank PBR cause it's cheap as hell. We used to find 12 packs at the 99¢ store. I never label myself as a hipster, but I was actually told by a girl once, "don't bring your friends to this bar, it's cool right now and we don't want it to blow up with hipsters." So I guess I qualify here.

And people I know who dress really scene all did that because of the bands they admire, like New York Dolls the Ramones. Anyone who claims that's any different than admiring and following Steve McQueen, Marlon Brando, Cary Grant, Anne Hathaway, etc. are full of ****.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I drink PBR because it's tolerable and usually the cheapest beer I can stomach. I prefer High Life if it is available, because it tastes slightly better, and is actually a bit cheaper in cans. Olympia is also better but much less available than either of the others.

I don't think many people actually drink PBR for the "image", especially because there is no image except that it's an American beer that isn't associated with football Bros like Bud/Light/Coors/any of those other ones or taste like total crap like Milwaukee's Beast/Schlitz/Anything with animals on the box.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive had some pretty good time with some "hipster" type people. just dont get into politics and other random crap with them. the **** i cant stand is this one girl my friend is friends with. shes a try hard hipster, and i was just calling her out on her hypocrisy crap. she made sure to tell us shes a vegan, yet ate lux on a cream cheese bagel because she said, "theres something to be said for quality of life" yeh **** off! then we got into an argument because she was complaining how her neighbours were watering the lawn for too long, yet she was just talking about how she loved taking long showers. god i hate those type of hipsters.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason I mentioned High Life is because I think it's a good beer in its price range. It's also a good warm-weather beer and it's one of my go-to beers for hot spring and summer days. To me, drinking High Life is ironic because it's actually good.

Do people really like it that much more than similarly priced beers? I too was a broke college student and we bought beer based primarily on price and drank our fair share of Black Label, Beast, Natty Light. At the time PBR was just another brand in a multitude of pretty crappy, cheap beers.

The reason I associate PBR with hipsters is because I don't think I really saw it served in any bar in San Francisco up until a few years ago when it suddenly appeared everywhere. You'd go to a bar like Lucky 13 and suddenly they had PBR specials and tons of hipster-looking 20-somethings would all be sipping on PBR sporting a trucker hat and super-low-rise black skinny jeans. PBR was just part of the uniform.

It also seemed that PBR fit the hipster cliche because it was one of these lesser-known, slightly off the beaten path brands that would kinda make you seem "in the know" by drinking it. I could just as easily imagine Hamms, Olympia, Raineer (RIP!), or Iron City being the hipster beer of choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads