• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

Crap... I've been spotted more than a few times wearing a plain v-neck (not AA though, hipster-unfriendly Hanes from Wal Mart made in some country that is just an island with a factory from edge to edge), while drinking a PBR. I hope I'm not a hipster. I think I'm too old to be one and probably have too few tattoos.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Crap... I've been spotted more than a few times wearing a plain v-neck (not AA though, hipster-unfriendly Hanes from Wal Mart made in some country that is just an island with a factory from edge to edge), while drinking a PBR. I hope I'm not a hipster. I think I'm too old to be one and probably have too few tattoos.

****. This guy totally stole my schtick.
tounge.gif

ADH

Reaction score
Good point. I just read the article Saturday nite and couldn't remember what magazine it was in. Glad someone else saw it. I myself have begun to question the "hipster" trends I have succumb to. Thankfully not that many. I quit wearing V neck t's, never touch PBR and thank god don't wear non-prescription glasses, or glasses at all for that matter. I'm only 23 so I guess it wouldn't be but so bad if I matched a point here or there but the bigger thing for me is that my generation should stand out or stick up for something more than the next goddamn American trend, vintage flannels and all. My girlfriend totally defended all her friends that I realized were "hipsters". Looking at all those pictures made me feel like I was looking at all the the pictures from every party I have ever been to in Richmond. Oh well, buck the system I say, I guess being a "non-hipster" means still rocking all the trends you still like long after they have died with everyone else.

P.S.- the best part of the article was when the girl said she didn't like the term, "hipster" because it was offensive. I guess we now have to add this term to lines such as, skank, ho, slut, and the list goes on.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The dead end of western civilization? I doubt that. Soon enough, being an apathetic poser will lose its appeal. This is just a trend, a result of a generation with nothing to fight for and nothing to rebel against.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

What would Gatto Corse do?

I am so uncool.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my favorite part.

"I've always found that word ["hipster"] is used with such disdain, like it's always used by chubby bloggers who aren't getting laid anymore and are bored, and they're just so mad at these young kids for going out and getting wasted and having fun and being fashionable," he says. "I'm dubious of these hypotheses because they always smell of an agenda."
Completely agree. Some dress like b-boys, punks, nantucket trust-fund babies and others in the SF SW&D uniforms - some mix it all to be/feel different - I don't see any problem with either.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soo, adbusters is trying to criticize someone for being too ironic? Adbusters? STFU

KBW

Reaction score
I would say I'm far from a hipster but I wear plain v-necks all the time. What does PBR have to do with being a hipster??? That beer is awful and gives me headaches.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understood why PBR was a standard part of the hipster toolkit.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think William Gibson ghost-wrote that article. Basically, it just described Gibson's take on the ever changing fad cultures and counter-cultures of the tragically hip youth. This could have been pulled directly from any number of Gibson works, from Neuromancer to his latest Lo/Rez books. It kept reminding me of Molly telling Case, not to let himself be generation gapped...by people that were about six years younger than him, if I remember right.

ADH

Reaction score
I personally don't get the PBR either, what's with adults twenty-five and older that still drink that stuff? Am I self-righteous being only twenty-three and swearing not to touch it?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It's both cheap and ironic, two things hipsters love.

Cheap yes, but never seemed ironic to me. It would be more ironic to drink High-Life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads