• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hilditch & Key ties?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Judging from their website, Hilditch & Key really have some beautiful ties. The color choices and patterns are exactly my style. Does anyone know in what width they are available? I'm looking for 3 inches as I have a slim frame. What are your thoughts on the quality of the fabrics and construction? Are there any other tie-makers that H&K fans would recommend?

Walter

Reaction score
I bought a tie from them in London a couple of months ago. I was very excited because I got what I was looking for without knowing exactly what it was: a knit tie that was wide enough and has the shape of a regular tie, not the square-shaped one.
I know now this design is called "grenadine".
Anyway I wore the tie 2 times and the little knots that create the design started to "unroll" (for lack of a better word). I was disappointed, to say the least, considering I was planning to make this my favorite tie and wear it all the time.
I sent an email to H&K and they did not bother to answer...

aybojs

Reaction score
The only thing is that you're probably limited to eBay or any retail stores that might carry them (I actually haven't found one in town, and I'm in Houston) if you want to get them for a reasonable sum. I saw one I liked on the website last year and e-mailed them about shipping to the U.S., I don't know if there was a miscommunication, but the lady who responded quoted me at 20 pounds shipping and packaging per order, which pretty much kills the thought of buying just a tie or two from their catalog.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(I actually haven't found one in town, and I'm in Houston)
Saks in the Galleria used to carry them, but they got rid of all of their H&K stuff a couple of years ago. I don't think that there's anyone else who carries H&K here.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if there was a miscommunication, but the lady who responded quoted me at 20 pounds shipping and packaging per order, which pretty much kills the thought of buying just a tie or two from their catalog.
Yup, that's what it says when you try to check out. Pretty ridiculous.

Anyone know about tie width? Two listings on eBay are 3.75". Is this their standard width? I'm looking for 3" and I swear the ones on the website look to be that size.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(aybojs @ May 12 2005,23:35) I don't know if there was a miscommunication, but the lady who responded quoted me at 20 pounds shipping and packaging per order, which pretty much kills the thought of buying just a tie or two from their catalog.
Yup, that's what it says when you try to check out. Pretty ridiculous. Anyone know about tie width? Two listings on eBay are 3.75". Is this their standard width? I'm looking for 3" and I swear the ones on the website look to be that size.
I don't think its ridiculous. They charge 20 pounds regardless of how many items you purchase, thus if you purchase 10 shirts and 7 ties, you are not looking at a large charge per item shipped when compared to purchasing just one or two items. Jon.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most UK-based shirt retailers charge 15-20 pounds shipping to the US.

HK ties are among the best. They are not handmade though, unless it specifically says so on the label. HK will tell you as much; they have a special handmade collection of ties of superlative quality. The ties I have from them are all 3.5" - 3.75".

Saks in NYC sells HK still.

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
I've got several H & K ties and almost a dozen shirts. I absolutely love the shirts, my favorite OTR shirtmaker (though I'm wearing a TM Lewin as I type this).

As far as ties are concerned, in my experience, their widths are perfectly mainstream -- not wide, not narrow, so if you're looking for a 3" width, I wouldn't bother with the special order from England.

Moreoever, I recall buying a couple of ties at Picc Arcade shop in fall of 2001 in fairly unique colors and patterns, but then being shocked to discover the same silk on a house brand Barneys tie at the warehouse sale six months later. Don't get me wrong: it's a great tie and I still have it in my rotation. But I don't think they're designing their own ties or having the silk factories in Italy come up with special order fabric just for them. My impression is that they order from a quality wholesaler.

I'm sure if you go to Neiman's and Saks in the Galleria you'll find an ample selection of colors and patterns in their offerings that will delight and impress you. Or try fourinhand.com -- he's a member here and has a good selection of interesting patterns and colors, and has always been very helpful in the past. Don't be afraid to ask him if he knows a source. (in fact, I'm quite surprised he hasn't chimed in yet on this thread.)

-Mark

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Hilditch ties are great - they are neither seven-fold nor handmade yet they make a great knot every time (and I own over 10 different H&K ties). All of my ties are the US Saks H&K and most vary in lenght from 3.5"-3.75" - however, I have one that is 3.25".

You may want to shoot an e-mail and check with them specifically.

Panzer

Kaga

Reaction score
Are there any other tie-makers that H&K fans would recommend?

Holliday & Brown

Charles Hill

Drake's

Marinella

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
(Kent Wang @ May 12 2005,19:31) Are there any other tie-makers that H&K fans would recommend?
Holliday & Brown Charles Hill Drake's Marinella
I would add Ede & Ravenscroft to that list. Panzer

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
rabbi mark, can you give us some idea how the h n K shirts fit, i love the lewins for the money but they are bit wide for my frame....ive heard the hiditch are narrower in the chest but even wider in the bottom. Is this your expereince?

thanks

also try carlo franco on the web-great great ties

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads