• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high calorie balanced diet on a budget?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i saw some turkeys are the supermarket too, didn't know they sold turkeys in january. was this the leftover stock from christmas? anyways, they were like $27. didn't check the weight but the size was several times larger than the small chicken bought, still not sure if it is worth it pound/dollar or calorie/dollar wise.

seriously i was damn surprised when i saw a whole chicken, didn't know they were that small. i thought chickens were about the size of a large turkey.

don't live near a costco, there are a couple in the city though, a membership is $50 right? not sure if i will buy enough chickens to even break even including after time and gas. how much do they sell chickens?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you live near costco or sam's club or even **'s you'll save money enough to make back 50.

i can get in upstate ny CAFO chickens for $1/lb.

also if you'rue trying to get more calories i would go with chicken thighs, legs, and tenderloins over chicken breasts

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A whole turkey lb for lb should be just about the cheapest meat you can buy. I think I pay under a $ a pound.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i will check out the nearest costco when i get some free time.

how about potatoes, a sack of potatoes is like 5 bux? 10 bux? how many calories does the whole sack have? any1 roughly guess?

i do love eating potatoes related foods. anyone got any recipes they find tasty? as long as it tastes good and is high in calories i will eat it.

french fries are pretty easy to make but i find they don't come out as well as the frozen fries i buy (why do frozen fries taste better?) and those are more expensive.

i think i gained a couple of pounds since i started this thread, but it could just be water weight.

keep those food suggestions coming.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

buy dry beans and cook them with fatback or some other cheap pork meat with a good amount of fat on it. Prepare and eat for days.

This was a staple for me when I was in grad school. A pot of beans would last for many days and in the meantime, I'd get the protein I needed for the miles and miles of running and cycling that I did back then. It was cheap, and very good, too.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i will check out the nearest costco when i get some free time.
how about potatoes, a sack of potatoes is like 5 bux? 10 bux? how many calories does the whole sack have? any1 roughly guess?
i do love eating potatoes related foods. anyone got any recipes they find tasty? as long as it tastes good and is high in calories i will eat it.
french fries are pretty easy to make but i find they don't come out as well as the frozen fries i buy (why do frozen fries taste better?) and those are more expensive.
i think i gained a couple of pounds since i started this thread, but it could just be water weight.
keep those food suggestions coming.

Not the highest calorie, but easy as hell and pretty cheap and super delicious

Cut Potatoes into 1 inch cubes

Smother in Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, rosemary.

Stick in the oven at 425 for 45ish minutes.

Eat.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is the price of olive oil relative to vegatable oil? veggie is cheaper right?

what are the reasons why i should choose olive oil over veggie oil?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you buy olive oil for cooking dont get extra virgin. no real reason to buy olive oil over veggie unless you buy into polyphenol hype

stop asking us prices. prices differ depending on where you are. calling your local market will give you a better idea.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

buy dry beans and cook them with fatback or some other cheap pork meat with a good amount of fat on it. Prepare and eat for days.

where would i buy fatback? or "cheap pork meat"? i dropped by the supermarket today (no frills, & foodbasics) all i saw was margarine and butter, and ground pork and other more pricey meats. :confused:

theecaptain

Reaction score
If you do GOMAD, you will ACTUALLY understand what "to **** a brick" means.

if by brick you mean soup. gomad was great for gaining weight but i've never pooped so often in my life. also very cost effective ~$3 for 2400 cal w 128g protein.

g12528

Reaction score
get into drinking macedamia nut oil or coconut oil or even coconut milk. easy way to up the calories

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Hamburger Helper is like $1/box. I've seen ground beef go for like $8 for a 5 pound tube. Combined with whole milk, that'll keep the calories coming.

Mistabruno

Reaction score
Get butter, not margarine (unless you want a heart attack soon).
Olive oil for salads only, don't heat it (it becomes carcinogenic if heated).
Coconut oil is very healthy, but you have to like the coconut taste. Almond/macadamia/walnut oil is also great.

The problem with veggie oils is that they contain a high amount of omega 6, which, when not balanced with omega 3, can be unhealthy. But, anything in moderation...

I make muffins with almond flour, eggs, honey and butter - about 600 kcal per muffin, chug down a couple of those per day for some extra calories.

For breakfast, I make scrambled eggs with bacon and veggies, and fry it all in butter or coconut oil. Top it off with an avocado and salad with olive oil, and you have a high calorie, healthy breakfast.

Hope that helps!

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

where would i buy fatback? or "cheap pork meat"? i dropped by the supermarket today (no frills, & foodbasics) all i saw was margarine and butter, and ground pork and other more pricey meats. :confused:

still looking for an answer to the above.

btw, has anyone tried drinking some olive oil daily? and how much?

edit i just drank 1/4 cup of olive oil, my god that is most nastiest drink i have ever drank. :smarmy:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads