• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Find Beautiful Down

ersatzmoe

Reaction score
I wear a down Parajumpers Gobi jacket which works pretty well.

I know that Moncler makes gorgeous vests, as do a less popular brand ADD.

Penfield is great for down, and Rogues Gallery has been getting their hands dirty with some corduroy down recently.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
This is why you don't juge based on pictures, this is not a luxury item.
So does this explain why we'll likely never see a fit picture of you wearing one?
Originally Posted by jet
That coat will outperform the julius one every day of the week and having everything designer is dumb imho. The devil is in the details which, again, aren't shown in photos. Just because it wouldn't fit you well doesn't mean it won't fit 80% of sw customers who are eu 46-52. No use debating further since you haven't handled the garments.
And I assume you've handled the Julius and DBSS coats in person, right? I don't need to see the CDW in person to determine the arms are huge and that is has ugly sleeping bag like elastic gatherings around the openings. These observations appear to be accurate since you refuse to address these points directly. And what's this whole "performance" angle anyway? That argument is starting to sound eerily similar to the motorcycle enthusiasts whom criticize fashion oriented leathers since they don't provide the proper protection from crashes. I've already had a chance to wear that DBSS coat in 38F degree weather with heavy rain and strong winds (wearing only a t-shirt underneath) and it performed beautifully. Am I supposed to be prepared for -20F weather during my expedition across the arctic tundra? Honestly, these CDW coats are only suitable as an occasional use coat for super cold weather. But as a coat to routinely wear for cold weather in most places the style is just not there and it appears to make the wearer look like a huge balloon man! Here are some additional fit pics I found. I noticed there are scant few fit pictures available of these coats, but plenty of the coats being unworn. Gee, I wonder why? Feel free to provide us with better fit pictures if you feel these are inaccurate....
16833647_o1.jpg
16833647.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
So does this explain why we'll likely never see a fit picture of you wearing one?

And I assume you've handled the Julius and DBSS coats in person, right?

I don't need to see the CDW in person to determine the arms are huge and that is has ugly sleeping bag like elastic gatherings around the openings. These observations appear to be accurate since you refuse to address these points directly.

And what's this whole "performance" angle anyway? That argument is starting to sound eerily similar to the motorcycle enthusiasts whom criticize fashion oriented leathers since they don't provide the proper protection from crashes. I've already had a chance to wear that DBSS coat in 38F degree weather with heavy rain and strong winds (wearing only a t-shirt underneath) and it performed beautifully. Am I supposed to be prepared for -20F weather during my expedition across the arctic tundra?

Honestly, these CDW coats are only suitable as an occasional use coat for super cold weather. But as a coat to routinely wear for cold weather in most places the style is just not there and it appears to make the wearer look like a huge balloon man!

Here are some additional fit pics I found. I noticed there are scant few fit pictures available of these coats, but plenty of the coats being unworn. Gee, I wonder why? Feel free to provide us with better fit pictures if you feel these are inaccurate....

Contrary to what you might think not all clothing in this world is meant to be tightly saran wrapped on one's body and that model has the same dimensions as you. You seem to act as if this "sleeping bag" argument holds any weight with me but they are made of the same materials so don't be shocked. That's like saying "hey your sweater looks like a blanket!" Not quite sure why anyone would be offended at that I love blankets. The jacket is pure function with great quality/details/simplistic design and fits great on non-xeno like individuals. Julius/DBSS are fashion brands that will be out of business in a few years. Having a bit of style entails incorporatings things more than from two brands in your wardrobe.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Contrary to what you might think not all clothing in this world is meant to be tightly saran wrapped on one's body and that model has the same dimensions as you.

The DBSS and Julius jackets are not "skin tight". Both add quite a bit of bulk to your body silhouette just like any down jacket would do. I can easily fit a heavy weight sweater under my coat with plenty of room to spare.

Since this style coat has an inherent problem of adding huge amounts of bulk to your body's shape, I feel it is important for the designer to consider this and make an attempt to minimize the worst aspect of this look. Yet, companies such as CDW appear to do nothing in this area. It's as if they're saying "embrace it, it's a classic man!"

Originally Posted by jet
You seem to act as if this "sleeping bag" argument holds any weight with me but they are made of the same materials so don't be shocked. That's like saying "hey your sweater looks like a blanket!" Not quite sure why anyone would be offended at that I love blankets.

Your blanket/sweater analogy is quite weak since blankets don't really provide a shape whereas sweaters and coats do. And it is the grotesque exaggerated shape created by the CDW down coat that I am criticizing. It is not a flattering look on anyone and is at best just functional. Classic or not, there are not very many popular styles that come anywhere close to distorting the body's shape in such an odd manner!

Originally Posted by jet
The jacket is pure function with great quality/details/simplistic design and fits great on non-xeno like individuals.

You'll get no argument from me, provided you live in Fairbanks Alaska, Minnesota, or similar. Obviously all the elastic banding and huge arms that I hate are there to keep you super warm. But for most urban environments it looks bad and the performance likely overkill, including Seattle which is CDW's home town. And I'm not sure how this type of coat would ever be appropriate in Southern California.

For the record, I'm a lot taller and heavier than xeno. Not sure why you keep bringing him up. There are a lot of people on this forum that are about the same size as me, but xeno is in an entirely different category.

Originally Posted by jet
Having a bit of style entails incorporatings things more than from two brands in your wardrobe.

Jet, just when I start to think my own arguments are marsupialed, I read yours and they're even worse! Just because I only provided examples from 2 Japanese brands that does not mean I am advocating having only two brands. Where does this idea come from anyway?? For the record I only own 4 DBSS pieces and 3 Julius pieces. How many Jil Sander pieces do you own anyway?

Sorry if I don't agree with you that looking like the Michelin Tire Man is stylish. The resemblance to most "classic" down coats is uncanny, don't you think?

tech-step3.jpg

Originally Posted by jet
Julius/DBSS are fashion brands that will be out of business in a few years.

Wow, you really hate Japanese brands, don't you?! This goes far beyond a mere approval of this CDW coat and a dislike of the specific Japanese coats I posted. Care to explain?

I am not trying to attack CDW, since it sounds like they make a good product if you desire this style of coat and live in a very cold climate. But I am attacking the notion of this type of jacket being a "stylish" and flattering look in an urban environment, especially when it appears in such bulky form.

Again, I'll be waiting for your "stylish" CDW fit pictures to prove me wrong!
lol8[1].gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
The DBSS and Julius jackets are not "skin tight". Both add quite a bit of bulk to your body silhouette just like any down jacket would do. I can easily fit a heavy weight sweater under my coat with plenty of room to spare.

Since this style coat has an inherent problem of adding huge amounts of bulk to your body's shape, I feel it is important for the designer to consider this and make an attempt to minimize the worst aspect of this look. Yet, companies such as CDW appear to do nothing in this area. It's as if they're saying "embrace it, it's a classic man!"

By this logic nothing chunky ever looks good, great.

Originally Posted by BB1
Your blanket/sweater analogy is quite weak since blankets don't really provide a shape whereas sweaters and coats do. And it is the grotesque exaggerated shape created by the CDW down coat that I am criticizing. It is not a flattering look on anyone and is at best just functional. Classic or not, there are not very many popular styles that come anywhere close to distorting the body's shape in such an odd manner!

Blanket analogy was spot on.

Originally Posted by BB1
You'll get no argument from me, provided you live in Fairbanks Alaska, Minnesota, or similar. Obviously all the elastic banding and huge arms that I hate are there to keep you super warm. But for most urban environments it looks bad and the performance likely overkill, including Seattle which is CDW's home town. And I'm not sure how this type of coat would ever be appropriate in Southern California.

How long have you lived here?

Originally Posted by BB1
For the record, I'm a lot taller and heavier than xeno. Not sure why you keep bringing him up. There are a lot of people on this forum that are about the same size as me, but xeno is in an entirely different category.

Weren't you the one complaining about not being able to find stuff in little people sizes?

Originally Posted by BB1
Jet, just when I start to think my own arguments are marsupialed, I read yours and they're even worse! Just because I only provided examples from 2 Japanese brands that does not mean I am advocating having only two brands. Where does this idea come from anyway?? For the record I only own 4 DBSS pieces and 3 Julius pieces. How many Jil Sander pieces do you own anyway?

I own about 20 jil sander pieces. About 25 margiela. About 10 dries. About 10 raf simons. About 12 veronique. About 5 apc. About 3 comme. About 2 junya. About 5 ervell. About 5 hm. About 5 stephan schneider. Shall I keep going? Btw I have more than just shades of grey/black
fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by BB1
Sorry if I don't agree with you that looking like the Michelin Tire Man is stylish. The resemblance to most "classic" down coats is uncanny, don't you think?

It's funny how just because it isn't for you it is inherently bad. Antifit/oversized jacket with fitted pants is often pulled off well, you seem to be quite closed minded.

Originally Posted by BB1
Wow, you really hate Japanese brands, don't you?! This goes far beyond a mere approval of this CDW coat and a dislike of the specific Japanese coats I posted. Care to explain?

Where did you get that idea? I buy junya and comme too, do you know what those are? I like yohji as well are you trying to label me as racist? I think kunk said it best that julius is merely derivative aka copied from the likes of cloak etc.

Originally Posted by BB1
I am not trying to attack CDW, since it sounds like they make a good product if you desire this style of coat and live in a very cold climate. But I am attacking the notion of this type of jacket being a "stylish" and flattering look in an urban environment, especially when it appears in such bulky form.

Again, I'll be waiting for your "stylish" CDW fit pictures to prove me wrong!
lol8[1].gif

Look no further than the sw site friend
redface.gif

You also might want to do a little reading about down and the various counts they offer which directly affects the outerwear's appearance. They also put them in pillows which is what makes them fluffy!
lol8[1].gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jet, **** you. i just bought every artisinal MMM piece on yoox. will post a waywt in disco ball halter tonight.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I've got about 10 more pieces en route will post pics to enlarge epenis.

F artisanal.

MortyGras

Reaction score
Admittet i don't get the down jacket and the down vest is simply a mystery to me.
Why would anyone even think about wearing such an atrocious piece of clothing is beyond me.

Oh, and BB1 is right.

chroMe

Reaction score
I seen a nice black one by dries van noten but can't find it online anywhere. No. 18 pic on the website.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I own about 20 jil sander pieces. About 25 margiela. About 10 dries. About 10 raf simons. About 12 veronique. About 5 apc. About 3 comme. About 2 junya. About 5 ervell. About 5 hm. About 5 stephan schneider. Shall I keep going? Btw I have more than just shades of grey/black
fistbump.gif

Owned.

Ok I like the Supreme's N3B down parka. Gonna keep it gangsta with fur collar yo.

monmonmont-img450x600-1257917999dzrs0f16452.jpg

I used to rock mine with skinny jeans and Air Jordans, also used it as an overcoat over a suit jacket occasionally.

Good investment to get a fishtail parka as fall/spring layering piece? Wanna use as overcoat as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads