• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heel lifts up slightly (out of shoe) when walking.... yet...

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... the shoe fits properly all around (I could not go a even 1/2 size smaller), and the laces are tied tight. Is this simply because a brand new pair of shoes tends to be stiff, and just needs breaking in? After that, I'd expect the shoe to ply more easily, and maybe not try to remain so straight/rigid. (which could be what's happening when the shoe isn't immediately following my heel?) Anyone have experience with this?

joonian

Reaction score
try going wider and then size down 1/2 if possible. that solved the problem for me when i had fit issues with a pair of church's penny loafers.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might just be that the heel on that last is too wide. Might be you need to go down, but in a wider width.

But there are more elements to fit than length and width. Heel width and shape matters too, it's just that on RTW you can't really get anything too out of the ordinary. Unless you have the money to go bespoke, you get to play around with sizes and lasts, or get those little heel pads.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

.... the shoe fits properly all around (I could not go a even 1/2 size smaller), and the laces are tied tight. Is this simply because a brand new pair of shoes tends to be stiff, and just needs breaking in? After that, I'd expect the shoe to ply more easily, and maybe not try to remain so straight/rigid. (which could be what's happening when the shoe isn't immediately following my heel?) Anyone have experience with this?

The shoes don't fit.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, what I predicted is exactly what transpired.

Imagine strapping a slab of steel to the soles of your feet, and tying a rope around your arch to fasten it. As your heel rises, the steel will stay put b/c it is so rigid. Now, imagine strapping a rubber mat to the soles of your feet, in the same manner. As your heel rises, the flexible mat will move with your foot.

As the day wore on, the "stiff as cardboard" shoes increasingly broke in, and started to conform to my heel's movements.
I am sure after a few wears, they will be just fine.

If not, I bought the $1 spacers off Ebay for that 1/8 inch space that is present

Like I said, if I went down 1/2 a size, I would not be able to put them on.
Satisfied customer. The shoes look stunning and are literally improving in fit with every step.
Beats spending $6000 on bespoke shoes.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, heels will slip on some shoes until you break them in, especially cordovan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads