• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy Winter Dress Coat

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Searching for warm dress coat suitable for all the waiting for buses and walking I do in our northern Ohio winters and other colder months. Last evening hit the selection in Joseph A. Bank, all 50% off. They had maybe five or six styles. When I asked the sale associate which he felt was the warmest he said the cashmere - much more expensive than the others (retail $895). There were these, wool coats, traditional trenchcoats with removable (not wool) lining and some with the wool-lookling collars, and simpler pseudo-trenchcoats with simpler features (balmacan type). All or most of these were $395 retail, I think. The cashmere coats didn't feel very heavy in carrying them; I'd say the trenches felt the heaviest in weight.
Do you think the cashmere topcoats are actually the warmest in this assortment. It felt luxurious and looked great but perhaps he only wanted to tout by far the most expensive coat? I believe only the full trenchcoats had removable lining (still not covering the whole interior - typical). Possibly the simpler cloth ones did as well but I doubt it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When temps around here get brutal, I resort to wearing my heavy wool hooded duffel coat. Tomorrow the highs will be in the teens, but fortunately for me, I'll be flying elsewhere.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd look for double breasted.

I wouldn't count on a trench for the coldest temps. OTOH I agree with Jay on getting a warm coat for the worst days.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, my Brooks Brothers duffel coat is my current dress coat. I know it isn't technically considered that dressy, and for that reason, with my casual winter coat wearing, my idea is to make the BB coat the casual. On some days, unfortunatly, even the BB coat doesn't suffice - and that's with wool cap besides the (unsecure) hood.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, my Brooks Brothers duffel coat is my current dress coat. I know it isn't technically considered that dressy, and for that reason, with my casual winter coat wearing, my idea is to make the BB coat the casual. On some days, unfortunatly, even the BB coat doesn't suffice - and that's with wool cap besides the (unsecure) hood.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate people's opinion about what the salesperson said - that the (most expensive) cashmere coat would be the warmest of the bunch. Warmer than wool? Warmer than the classic trenchcoat with removable lining?

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious that the salesman was trying to move the overpriced cashmere. If you'd asked for the wool that's the driest, or lightest, or easiest to keep clean, or most durable, I'm sure the answer would have been the cashmere.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
Cashmere is traditionally warmer than wool, but the salesman does have an agenda.
I prefer cashmere for my dress overcoats but I also agree the salesman had an agenda.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are looking for an overcoat ... not a coat. Coat = sport coat.

But as for the actual weight of the coat ... uhhh ... overcoat (but who am I to talk about overcoat!) ... that means something but not everything. Certain types of fibers offer better warmth than others ... and cashmere typically offers more warmth at a lighter weight.

Still, I can't imagine that the cashmere is that much better than a good wool overcoat.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you wear will depend upon your average daily temperature and how long you spend outdoors.

I have an old 1950s-1960s Wards overcoats that come out when the temps below -5. It weighs about 15lbs. Right now my Yugoslavian Secret Police coat works great in weather from 0 to -10. I would recommend layering on real cold day. Otherwise, get one you like and then a full parka for any extreme days of the year much like the Speedo thong you wear on those extremely hot summer days.
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads