• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heartworms... how often to test?

fir3fox

Reaction score
Last August PetMeds wouldn't fill my order for heartworm pills saying that my veterinarian denied prescription because I hadn't had recent heartworm tests for my dogs. I had the tests done,and they said the tests were good for two years.

I just placed another order with PetMeds but they only filled three months worth because my vetrinatrian denied the rest. I contacted my vet and they told me that there policy had changed and now I'm required to get annual heartworm tests done in order for them to continue my prescriptions. PetMeds said that it was up to the discretion of the vet, saying some require annual tests, some every two years, some longer as long as you've been consistently giving them the pill.

I feel like my vet is trying to gouge me.

My question... should I continue to even bother with these hearworm pills? Are the annual checkups required or do you think I'd be safe going every two years? Should I find another vet for my perscriptions? I live in the city, have three small indoor dogs (less than 25lbs) ranging from 8-10 years old. They never socialize with other dogs and they only eat dog food.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about this - even though I have dogs - but heartworms are ******* disgusting:
heartworms.jpeg

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fir3fox
I feel like my vet is trying to gouge me.

It's a damned scam, you're completely right. You can buy a 10 years' supply of the active ingredient in the heartworm pills for a few bucks at a feed store, at least you used to be able to. And you don't need any kind of prescription.

As I understand it, the way the medicine works is that it kills the worms at a certain stage of their development (which lasts long enough that if you medicate the dog every 2 months you'll be fine). The checkups and all that nonsense are to protect against you screwing up and forgetting to give the dog the medicine. Oh, and to make the vets money, lots of money.

Google it.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My question... should I continue to even bother with these hearworm pills? Are the annual checkups required or do you think I'd be safe going every two years? Should I find another vet for my perscriptions? I live in the city, have three small indoor dogs (less than 25lbs) ranging from 8-10 years old. They never socialize with other dogs and they only eat dog food.

BTW, the vector for heartworms is the mosquito, so the socialization with other dogs is irrelevant.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, right, what should you do?

Get the medicine from somewhere else and give it to the dogs yourself. The dogs need it, for sure. They don't need the heartworm tests [as long as they are continuously on the medicine] or the "heart guard" brand, etc.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The odds of your dogs getting heartworm are about the same as them getting rabies. Effectively nil. If you lived in the south and had kennel dogs you shouldd consider ivermectin, but other than that I wouldn't worry. I would also stop annual booster shots if you haven't already.

Your vet is gouging you.

lefty

P.S. I'm not a vet and you should do the research. I also contracted Dengue Fever while living in a city in SE Asia, so **** does happen.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lefty is a dog expert, but I have been led to understand that heartworm is very, very common.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was a kid my family dog died from an infection. It was a terrible way to die, too.

'Course I lived in New Orleans so it may be a regional thing.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not an expert, just a fan. The American Heartworm Society advises that all adult dogs being started on a heartworm preventative for the first time be tested. After that, periodic, but not necessarily annual re-testing should be performed. The frequency of testing should take into account variables such as: * Prevalence of heartworm disease in the area * Missed or late doses of heartworm preventative * The dog's lifestyle He lives in a city with indoor dogs and the dogs have been tested and I believe on the meds. What are the odds of them seeing a mosquito let alone one that carries the larvae? (I'm assuming that indoor doesn't mean a houseboat on the bayou.) At least he should shop around and find a vet that doesn't insist on a yearly test if he needs the script. lefty

fir3fox

Reaction score
Yah, I live in a normal suburban neighborhood and they've been on the pills consistently since their last tests in August. We do have mosquitoes but I wouldn't say we have more or less than anywhere else (excluding the bayou).

Anyway, thanks for all the advise. I'm going to dig around for more information and call some other vets. Then I'll sit down with the wife to decide how we want to proceed.

fir3fox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I would also stop annual booster shots if you haven't already.

I guess I'm not a very conscientious dog owner. The only annual shots they get are rabies. Are their other boosters or is that what you mean?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I'm not a very conscientious dog owner. The only annual shots they get are rabies. Are their other boosters or is that what you mean?
That's what I meant. Why are they getting rabies shots? Are there foxes roaming your hallways? lefty edit: actually there are a few other boosters called for. I believe every three years or so (that keeps changing). It's been a while since I've been to a vet as I'm not a huge fan of most.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dog is out in the field often so once a month he gets treated. He gets tested once a year. There's enough cases of heart worm in my area so as far as I'm concerned better safe than sorry.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
That's what I meant. Why are they getting rabies shots? Are there foxes roaming your hallways?

lefty

edit: actually there are a few other boosters called for. I believe every three years or so (that keeps changing). It's been a while since I've been to a vet as I'm not a huge fan of most.

Isn't rabies one of those ounce of prevention/pound of cure type things? It's highly unlikely a dog will get rabies, but if it does it's a death sentence. It can also pass it to humans, for whom rabies is also a death sentence if not treated before it becomes symptomatic.

I'm not a expert, so I'm willing to defer to someone who knows more than I do, but I always thought rabies vaccination was because the consequences are so dire (albeit rare).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads