• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

has anyone done a small caribbean wedding? Recs?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You must be thinking of st-martin/st-maarten. I'll look at them. Thanks.
As for picking up the tab for other people, my GF's parents have no money and my mother has no money and my brother has no money. For that reason I'd strongly prefer to elope and exclude everyone but she's being a good sport in agreeing to keep it this small so we'll see what happens. Maybe I can work on her some more but I don't want to be too forceful and have her be unhappy/stressed/pressured about it either.

Yes, her feelings matter just as much but for real, it's also your day. If money is such a concern, I think they'd understand you guys just going yourselves.

How much of this would you be paying for? Frankly, I don't think it's fair for you to be footing the bill for people you don't even really want there. In that situation, if eloping just isn't possible, I'd do a very small event in the city where you live, get married, then fly to where ever you want for the honeymoon the next day. That way everyone is included and the ceremony/dinner itself is far more cost effective and you aren't wasting it on flights.

Last edited:

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Problem is, everyone is from all over, so no matter where it's held, flights and hotels will be involved if they are to come. Not one person on the "essentials" list even lives in the same province/country.

As for it being my day too, I guess you're right. Even though I'm really not in to ceremony, I don't want to hate it either. I'd be happy to sign papers in front of a judge as long as i still got to marry her. Babysitting a bunch of adults that can't take care of themselves and behave properly isn't too appealing to me.

Ya, we need to elope...Solves so many problems.

Last edited:

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Problem is, everyone is from all over, so no matter where it's held, flights and hotels will be involved if they are to come. Not one person on the "essentials" list even lives in the same province/country.
As for it being my day too, I guess you're right. Even though I'm really not in to ceremony, I don't want to hate it either. I'd be happy to sign papers in front of a judge as long as i still got to marry her. Babysitting a bunch of adults that can't take care of themselves and behave properly isn't too appealing to me.
Ya, we need to elope...Solves so many problems.

Dude, unless funds are unlimited, you are going to end up spending a lot on things that really are just to fulfill convention rather than making you happy. Why start out life together with lighter pockets if that money wasn't even really spent on yourself?

Just like, have a get together with people whenever you can. I don't see the sense in compromising if you aren't the type of family that is really close, which it does not sound like you are.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mrs. Piob and I just did a small ceremony in the home of a JP and the party went out for a nice dinner. Was a very relaxing wedding.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mrs. Piob and I just did a small ceremony in the home of a JP and the party went out for a nice dinner. Was a very relaxing wedding.

If I ever find myself in that potential situation again, I'd do something like that.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
god i was googling about destination weddings and came across some article written for a wedding magazine and the suggestions were asinine. Thank ******* god i don't have to deal with a bride that is obsessed with that ****.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rent a house and get married in front on the beach by the local head man. Hire a girl or two to cook you a feast. Limit guests to 4 on each side and either let them stay in your place or rent a nearby place.

Location depends on what your vibe is.
Kinda cool/old school: Cuba
Mountains: Strawberry Hill, Jamaica
Nice beach: Rendezvous Bay, Anguilla

lefty

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rent a house and get married in front on the beach by the local head man. Hire a girl or two to cook you a feast. Limit guests to 4 on each side and either let them stay in your place or rent a nearby place.

Location depends on what your vibe is.
Kinda cool/old school: Cuba
Mountains: Strawberry Hill, Jamaica
Nice beach: Rendezvous Bay, Anguilla

lefty

I was kinda leading him to something like this with the Tulum recommendation.

I think a wedding like this would be ideal for me. Only the closest family and friends. Beautiful and lush surroundings. Not the most luxurious but it would be special to me (us) which is the important part.

Hoping I meet a girl who doesn't have a billion and one must have and do things for her wedding day...:fu:

Last edited:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll echo the sentiments of Tulum. It's not as luxurious as some Caribbean places, but I think it's a pretty good fit for what you want. It's easy to travel there, and prices are reasonable. I actually prefer it to the Caribbean, because the food in Mexico is much more desirable to me than in the Caribbean.

I've stayed at this place:
http://www.tulumhotelpez.com/

The hotel is one of the more secluded in Tulum, since it's a little bit away from the main beach drag. It's small and definitely not a resort. All the rooms face the water and have balconies. It seems to hit all of your criteria. The hotel also does weddings, which you can read about on their web site.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anybody asked if your future wife's boyfriend will be attending? If not, are you offering doggy bags?

Congrats, geek.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tulum is nice. Try and avoid the main hotel strip and hit the far end.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow, congrats Geek. Didn't even know you were in a relationship. I wish you and your fiance all the best in the future.

Don't know why nobody's recommended it, but I'd go for Brazil. I'd recommend any off this list, particularly the first 3. Cheap too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/apr/15/beach-brazil-top-10

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was the best man at my boy's wedding in DR. His wife is from there as is her family. I went fro 4 days. Family and a few friends. They got married in her grandfather's casa and we went out after. Great time...They had been together for many yrs so it was no biggie....

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll echo the sentiments of Tulum. It's not as luxurious as some Caribbean places, but I think it's a pretty good fit for what you want. It's easy to travel there, and prices are reasonable. I actually prefer it to the Caribbean, because the food in Mexico is much more desirable to me than in the Caribbean.
I've stayed at this place:
http://www.tulumhotelpez.com/
The hotel is one of the more secluded in Tulum, since it's a little bit away from the main beach drag. It's small and definitely not a resort. All the rooms face the water and have balconies. It seems to hit all of your criteria. The hotel also does weddings, which you can read about on their web site.

Cool, thanks. I'll look in to the area a bit more.

Wow, congrats Geek. Didn't even know you were in a relationship. I wish you and your fiance all the best in the future.
Don't know why nobody's recommended it, but I'd go for Brazil. I'd recommend any off this list, particularly the first 3. Cheap too.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/apr/15/beach-brazil-top-10

In most (all?) south american countries, you can't be legally married without going to a lot of trouble. This usually involves presenting a lot of different papers, translated into the local language by a restricted group of translators and notarized, often with significant waiting periods attached, and sometimes even a requirement for time in country prior to the ceremony. That is one of the allures of places like the Bahamas as destination weddings. You can fly in and within 24 hours be legally married without having to deal with tons of bureaucracy. Religious ceremonies are even more trouble, as a general rule.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cool, thanks. I'll look in to the area a bit more.
In most (all?) south american countries, you can't be legally married without going to a lot of trouble. This usually involves presenting a lot of different papers, translated into the local language by a restricted group of translators and notarized, often with significant waiting periods attached, and sometimes even a requirement for time in country prior to the ceremony. That is one of the allures of places like the Bahamas as destination weddings. You can fly in and within 24 hours be legally married without having to deal with tons of bureaucracy. Religious ceremonies are even more trouble, as a general rule.

Isn't that why you get legally married back home by a Justice of the Peace or at City Hall and then just have the ceremony and dinner/party on location?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads