1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

has anyone done a small caribbean wedding? Recs?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GQgeek, Dec 18, 2011.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

god i was googling about destination weddings and came across some article written for a wedding magazine and the suggestions were asinine. Thank fucking god i don't have to deal with a bride that is obsessed with that shit.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Rent a house and get married in front on the beach by the local head man. Hire a girl or two to cook you a feast. Limit guests to 4 on each side and either let them stay in your place or rent a nearby place.

Location depends on what your vibe is.
    Kinda cool/old school: Cuba
    Mountains: Strawberry Hill, Jamaica
    Nice beach: Rendezvous Bay, Anguilla

lefty

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I was kinda leading him to something like this with the Tulum recommendation.

I think a wedding like this would be ideal for me. Only the closest family and friends. Beautiful and lush surroundings. Not the most luxurious but it would be special to me (us) which is the important part.

Hoping I meet a girl who doesn't have a billion and one must have and do things for her wedding day...:fu:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  4. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I'll echo the sentiments of Tulum. It's not as luxurious as some Caribbean places, but I think it's a pretty good fit for what you want. It's easy to travel there, and prices are reasonable. I actually prefer it to the Caribbean, because the food in Mexico is much more desirable to me than in the Caribbean.

I've stayed at this place:
    http://www.tulumhotelpez.com/

The hotel is one of the more secluded in Tulum, since it's a little bit away from the main beach drag. It's small and definitely not a resort. All the rooms face the water and have balconies. It seems to hit all of your criteria. The hotel also does weddings, which you can read about on their web site.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Has anybody asked if your future wife's boyfriend will be attending? If not, are you offering doggy bags?

Congrats, geek.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Tulum is nice. Try and avoid the main hotel strip and hit the far end.

lefty

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Wow, congrats Geek. Didn't even know you were in a relationship. I wish you and your fiance all the best in the future.

Don't know why nobody's recommended it, but I'd go for Brazil. I'd recommend any off this list, particularly the first 3. Cheap too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/apr/15/beach-brazil-top-10

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I was the best man at my boy's wedding in DR. His wife is from there as is her family. I went fro 4 days. Family and a few friends. They got married in her grandfather's casa and we went out after. Great time...They had been together for many yrs so it was no biggie....

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Cool, thanks. I'll look in to the area a bit more.

In most (all?) south american countries, you can't be legally married without going to a lot of trouble. This usually involves presenting a lot of different papers, translated into the local language by a restricted group of translators and notarized, often with significant waiting periods attached, and sometimes even a requirement for time in country prior to the ceremony. That is one of the allures of places like the Bahamas as destination weddings. You can fly in and within 24 hours be legally married without having to deal with tons of bureaucracy. Religious ceremonies are even more trouble, as a general rule.

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Isn't that why you get legally married back home by a Justice of the Peace or at City Hall and then just have the ceremony and dinner/party on location?

11. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I'd also like to second Tulum. It's secluded, but only 20 minutes away from Playa Del Carmen, which has a plethora of creature comforts, with out being as annoying as Cancun.

I got married in at a nice boutique hotel in Playa. The owner's wife made all of the arrangements for us and the food was fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone, but it's probably more urban than you might like. It's really inexpensive for guests as well. Families or groups of young people can do well renting condos. Luxury 3br/3ba condos go for 1000/week.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

+1. Is this not possible in Canadia?

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

Can't advise on the wedding plans, but want to offer congratulations!

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

^^ Thank you, sir.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

my wife and I (wife as of like 2.5 months) wanted the same, but you'd be really surprised how big things can get. It's the "we def. need to invite my three friends from college and two from high school, but NO more ... wait, that means with +1's that's 10 people, fuck".

I suppose ours was luxurious, but we didn't want a BBQ type thing or buffet, so we did a 4 or 5 course menu that ended up being really great. I picked out some fancy wine pairings, because I love wine, and we had a string quartet for cocktail hour and a jazz band for the rest (a bunch of friends I knew from Juilliard). And people really enjoyed it all. There were the snobs that appreciated good food and good wine, and there were those that really appreciated good music to dance to. In the end people were so happy, and we couldn't ask for more than happy guests.

+1

fwiw, this is a quick pic from our reception:
    [​IMG]

16. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Congrats, gome. Didn't know you finally married her.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Ok, so a lot of things happened over the past 8 months that put this off (completely unrelated to our relationship), but we're setting a date in october and I need to start to wrap things up. My mother passed away last month so all other considerations of making things easy on her family and worrying about others' accomodations are gone. It'll just be the two of us.

For a number of reasons I won't get in to, we've settled on doing it in The Bahamas. I know some of you think it's "meh" but there must be some places worth seeing. Mostly we want a relaxing vacation this time. Not too much moving around. The 3 weeks we spent in Argentina in Feb was a lot of fun but it was exhausting at times.

I can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks for this trip but for political reasons I probably won't take all 3 weeks so I'll probably go with a shorter trip and save some extra time for Brazil or something next year or to visit her family around xmas. We're thinking of flying through panama. Can anyone advise if it's worth spending a day (or 3) there? Is the canal worth seeing? Is there anything in/near panama city? We wouldn't want to stray too far though...

As for the bahamas, can anyone recommend a specific island that's less crowded that paradise island? Is Nassau or any other city worth spending some time sight-seeing in?

thanks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

19. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Thanks, CG.

On a brighter note, I think I figured out where I'm going to stay. After looking at hotels in the out islands (for seclusion) and finding nothing under $500/night that suits me, I found a rustic small house with a 1/2 mile of private beach (there's 1 other house) that I think I'm going to rent for a week and a half or whatever. Going to take one more look around but I think that's where I'll end up staying. Hopefully there won't be a hurricane heh.