• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harris Tweed Sport Coats Sold at Walmart Proxy

FillW

Reaction score
Hey, I went to a few Wal-Marts in New Jersey because I had business nearby this weekend. They had some jackets in NJ and I tried on a 42L. I thought it fit me way better than the 44R The shoulders are still a little wide but i can live with this. I bought one of the grey (Dalmore?) jackets. I'm returning the 44R today. Here's a pic (as promised):

I would post a side pic but my posture sucks on the one i took so I'll retake one...heh heh
lol8[1].gif

I know I said I wasn't interested in what people think about the "fit" but I'm wearing the 44R right now and am thinking that maybe it's better than this 42L. Does the jacket in the pic look too long on me? The shoulders on the 44R are a little too big but the jacket is comfortable.
Is anyone willing to proxy? I am interested in buying the Dalmore (blue) and the Laxdale (herringbone) in sz 38R for my old man. Please PM me if you can find these and ship them to the US. Thanks!

Call the Wal-Mart in Aberdeen, MD and see if they can ship the jackets you want to a store closer to you.

Last edited:

Hacking jacket

Reaction score

little boxy still, but not hateful.

the rest of the outfit on the other hand....yowzer

Indeed, but still the jacket is not a bad fit (the main purpose of the photo).
.. In Philly (Eugene's) next door to NJ I paid over $500 for a jacket reconstruction and it wasn't great workmanship. $50 is only good if it gives a reasonable fit, you'd never pay to reconstruct a $50 jacket.

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
Maybe it's time to take a pic and post in the WAYWRN thread.
nod[1].gif

Then I'll really get it.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted a pic on my blog a while ago of the Barba fit. I think the fabric is actually very nice. Yes, the jacket will not be confused with savile row tailoring, but for $75 I still think its a good deal. But I'm not sure I'd put the money into extensive tailoring work on these though.

FWIW, I'm normally a 42R and went down to a 40R to get what I thought was a better fit. But that fit pic was taken about 10-15 pounds ago so I'll actually need to try the jacket again to see how it looks now.

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2012/12/harris-tweed-walmart.html

FillW

Reaction score
I posted a pic on my blog a while ago of the Barba fit. I think the fabric is actually very nice. Yes, the jacket will not be confused with savile row tailoring, but for $75 I still think its a good deal. But I'm not sure I'd put the money into extensive tailoring work on these though.

FWIW, I'm normally a 42R and went down to a 40R to get what I thought was a better fit. But that fit pic was taken about 10-15 pounds ago so I'll actually need to try the jacket again to see how it looks now.

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2012/12/harris-tweed-walmart.html

Yours looks like it could have some waist suppression done to it (wait, maybe not). Especially if you've lost more weight since then.

I wore mine out Friday night and people (women) thought it looked pretty good. Guess I'll stick with it.

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
Indeed, but still the jacket is not a bad fit (the main purpose of the photo).
.. In Philly (Eugene's) next door to NJ I paid over $500 for a jacket reconstruction and it wasn't great workmanship. $50 is only good if it gives a reasonable fit, you'd never pay to reconstruct a $50 jacket.

Like the guy says in his blog- the material is pretty thick so maybe it won't look sleek no matter what.

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score
Anyone know if these made their way into any Canadian stores? I haven't seen any at my local Walmart, although I wasn't paying much attention strolling by the clothing. I tried to google it but came up with nothing.

FillW

Reaction score
There was one 40S left at a different Wal-Mart that was priced at $30.00 if anybody's interested. Practically giving them away...

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried calling the MD store. Unfortunately, there is no way to get it to me. They can only ship warehouse to store. There is no way they can ship store to person or store to store. You would need a proxy.

FillW

Reaction score
I tried calling the MD store. Unfortunately, there is no way to get it to me. They can only ship warehouse to store. There is no way they can ship store to person or store to store. You would need a proxy.

I hesitate to offer to proxy because it's hard to guess what size would fit you without being able to try these on in person. Just because you wear a certain size in other coats doesn't mean that one of these in the same size would fit you. The shoulders are way too wide in a lot of the sizes.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hesitate to offer to proxy because it's hard to guess what size would fit you without being able to try these on in person. Just because you wear a certain size in other coats doesn't mean that one of these in the same size would fit you. The shoulders are way too wide in a lot of the sizes. 

Sent you a pm

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads