Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hardest accomplishments in sports

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Davidko19, May 9, 2010.

1. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Distinguished Member

27 pitch game.

2. imschatz

imschatz Senior Member

Big golf weekend .. so that's on my mind, but:
    1) Hole-in-one on a par-4 is doable.
    - or slightly more generic .. the "albatross" 3 under par (Hole-in-one on par 4, or 2 on a par 5).

3. SField

SField Distinguished Member

The only thing I'd put above a perfect game would be shooting a 59 on the PGA tour.

It's happened only 3 times since 1977, compared to 10 perfect games in that span. With an average of 140 players per tournament (half playing 2 rounds, half playing 4), 45 tournaments per year, that's roughly 18,000 rounds per year on the tour, compared to ~4,500 ballgames pitched each year in MLB. Multiply those numbers by 34 years (dating back to '77), then divide by the number of times each has happened (3 for golf, 10 for baseball), and you get one round of 59 in every ~200,000 rounds on tour, compared to one perfect game for every ~15,000 ballgames pitched. Those are just quick estimates, but they're not far off.

As impressive as a perfect game is, statistically speaking, it's much harder to shoot a 59.

Didn't Houston do it twice?

4. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Distinguished Member

dave schultz's 472 penalty minutes in a single season.

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I think the double eagle in golf deserves a mention. Not because it doesn't happen, but because it takes so much luck to get one.

6. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior Member

Funny this thread came up.

Braden pitched a perfect game today against Tampa.

After seeing this no-name throw a no-no (only the 16th since 1900) it got me wondering...

Um...I think the whole reason this thread was started was BECAUSE Braden, i.e. "this no-name," pitched a perfect game.

7. Davidko19

Davidko19 Distinguished Member

^^ Yup, that game is what made me think of it.

And dont make this guy anything more than a feel-good story yet. i know nothing of him, he may be the future of the A's or something, i dont know, but based on his season and career stats he appears to be nothing more than average: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8014

Good stats on the 59 in golf. i would have never thought of it.

8. CDFS

CDFS Distinguished Member

Rowing, like, really, really fast.

9. Kique

Kique Senior Member

The only thing I'd put above a perfect game would be shooting a 59 on the PGA tour.

It's happened only 3 times since 1977, compared to 10 perfect games in that span. With an average of 140 players per tournament (half playing 2 rounds, half playing 4), 45 tournaments per year, that's roughly 18,000 rounds per year on the tour, compared to ~4,500 ballgames pitched each year in MLB. Multiply those numbers by 34 years (dating back to '77), then divide by the number of times each has happened (3 for golf, 10 for baseball), and you get one round of 59 in every ~200,000 rounds on tour, compared to one perfect game for every ~15,000 ballgames pitched. Those are just quick estimates, but they're not far off.

As impressive as a perfect game is, statistically speaking, it's much harder to shoot a 59.

Totally agree, I was really surprised that a bigger deal wasn't made when that teenager shot a 58 in Japan last week. Probably because it wasn't on tape.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...ishikawarecord

10. thinc

thinc Member

Totally agree, I was really surprised that a bigger deal wasn't made when that teenager shot a 58 in Japan last week. Probably because it wasn't on tape.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...ishikawarecord

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Highlights from that round. It's a course that plays easier than any on the PGA tour but still doesn't take away from the fact that the kid was on fire that day. Could have been a 57 if he made that putt on 18.

11. axe

axe Senior Member

27 pitch game.
    Has anyone even managed a 54-pitch game? [​IMG]

12. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior Member

Didn't Houston do it twice?

He was known for shooting some really low rounds, but never a 59 I don't think. I recall a 61 of his at the Memorial, at least.

I forgot, a few guys had done it at Q-school, and then there's rounds like that Japanese kid every so often... extremely impressive, but I equate it to a perfect game in high school, college, or the minors. Really rare, and a great performance, but just not the same as doing it on the big stage.

13. denning

denning Distinguished Member

Big golf weekend .. so that's on my mind, but:
    1) Hole-in-one on a par-4 is doable.
    - or slightly more generic .. the "albatross" 3 under par (Hole-in-one on par 4, or 2 on a par 5).

I think the double eagle in golf deserves a mention. Not because it doesn't happen, but because it takes so much luck to get one.

I was about to post this too. Doesn't quite stack up against a perfect game or shooting a 59, but impressive nevertheless. I saw my dad get an albatross once. It was awesome.

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I think in modern times, a lot harder to win 25 games than it is to pitch a no hitter.

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

How about a 20-strikeout game? Only accomplished three times in a nine-inning game: Roger Clemens (twice), and Kerry Wood. It's actually more indicative of a pitcher's dominance than a perfect game, which relies heavily on the position players behind the pitcher.