• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hardest accomplishments in sports

imschatz

Reaction score
Big golf weekend .. so that's on my mind, but:
1) Hole-in-one on a par-4 is doable.
- or slightly more generic .. the "albatross" 3 under par (Hole-in-one on par 4, or 2 on a par 5).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoyDiffusion
The only thing I'd put above a perfect game would be shooting a 59 on the PGA tour.

It's happened only 3 times since 1977, compared to 10 perfect games in that span. With an average of 140 players per tournament (half playing 2 rounds, half playing 4), 45 tournaments per year, that's roughly 18,000 rounds per year on the tour, compared to ~4,500 ballgames pitched each year in MLB. Multiply those numbers by 34 years (dating back to '77), then divide by the number of times each has happened (3 for golf, 10 for baseball), and you get one round of 59 in every ~200,000 rounds on tour, compared to one perfect game for every ~15,000 ballgames pitched. Those are just quick estimates, but they're not far off.

As impressive as a perfect game is, statistically speaking, it's much harder to shoot a 59.

Didn't Houston do it twice?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I think the double eagle in golf deserves a mention. Not because it doesn't happen, but because it takes so much luck to get one.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Funny this thread came up.

Braden pitched a perfect game today against Tampa.

Originally Posted by Davidko19
After seeing this no-name throw a no-no (only the 16th since 1900) it got me wondering...

Um...I think the whole reason this thread was started was BECAUSE Braden, i.e. "this no-name," pitched a perfect game.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yup, that game is what made me think of it.

And dont make this guy anything more than a feel-good story yet. i know nothing of him, he may be the future of the A's or something, i dont know, but based on his season and career stats he appears to be nothing more than average: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8014

Good stats on the 59 in golf. i would have never thought of it.

Kique

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoyDiffusion
The only thing I'd put above a perfect game would be shooting a 59 on the PGA tour.

It's happened only 3 times since 1977, compared to 10 perfect games in that span. With an average of 140 players per tournament (half playing 2 rounds, half playing 4), 45 tournaments per year, that's roughly 18,000 rounds per year on the tour, compared to ~4,500 ballgames pitched each year in MLB. Multiply those numbers by 34 years (dating back to '77), then divide by the number of times each has happened (3 for golf, 10 for baseball), and you get one round of 59 in every ~200,000 rounds on tour, compared to one perfect game for every ~15,000 ballgames pitched. Those are just quick estimates, but they're not far off.

As impressive as a perfect game is, statistically speaking, it's much harder to shoot a 59.

Totally agree, I was really surprised that a bigger deal wasn't made when that teenager shot a 58 in Japan last week. Probably because it wasn't on tape.
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...ishikawarecord

thinc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kique
Totally agree, I was really surprised that a bigger deal wasn't made when that teenager shot a 58 in Japan last week. Probably because it wasn't on tape.
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...ishikawarecord

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Highlights from that round. It's a course that plays easier than any on the PGA tour but still doesn't take away from the fact that the kid was on fire that day. Could have been a 57 if he made that putt on 18.

JoyDiffusion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Didn't Houston do it twice?

He was known for shooting some really low rounds, but never a 59 I don't think. I recall a 61 of his at the Memorial, at least.

I forgot, a few guys had done it at Q-school, and then there's rounds like that Japanese kid every so often... extremely impressive, but I equate it to a perfect game in high school, college, or the minors. Really rare, and a great performance, but just not the same as doing it on the big stage.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Big golf weekend .. so that's on my mind, but:
1) Hole-in-one on a par-4 is doable.
- or slightly more generic .. the "albatross" 3 under par (Hole-in-one on par 4, or 2 on a par 5).

Originally Posted by StephenHero
I think the double eagle in golf deserves a mention. Not because it doesn't happen, but because it takes so much luck to get one.

I was about to post this too. Doesn't quite stack up against a perfect game or shooting a 59, but impressive nevertheless. I saw my dad get an albatross once. It was awesome.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a 20-strikeout game? Only accomplished three times in a nine-inning game: Roger Clemens (twice), and Kerry Wood. It's actually more indicative of a pitcher's dominance than a perfect game, which relies heavily on the position players behind the pitcher.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads