• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hardest accomplishments in sports

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I think some of the incredibly low percentage shots that tennis players hit, you see them a few times a year, are incredibly difficult. They spend over a decade perfecting their ground strokes and foot work, preparing them for most eventualities, but give them a really tough ball and force them to hit it in a way they have not trained for, with the same level of velocity and placement that they DO train for, is pretty impressive to me.

Have to agree about hitting a baseball, however.

Would have to put the tennis serve up there as well. Consider how much time and effort goes into preparing that. Quite comparable to anything out there.

Disagree. that just takes practice. You can't practice for a perfect game. A serve in tennis happens EVERY day/game/set/match. Not difficult in the slightest...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^tennis is tough but this thread is about sports.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How many holes in one are hit every year? What about qualifying this with a certain par for the hole in question? I don't know, that's why I'm asking, but Kunk might want to refer me to the prior post.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^tennis is tough but this thread is about sports.

**** you Kunk.

300 runs or double hat trick in cricket.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt a perfect game. Nothing else really can come close IMO

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
not losing a fight throughout a career in boxing (or any fighting for that matter).

But the question seems to be a one time acomplishment...not over the course of a career.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
motivating nba players is 1a if the perfect game is 1

KenN

Reaction score
In professional sports

Course of the game accomplishment:
Perfect game

One time moment accomplishment:
4 second pit-stop

For us amateurs

Course of the game accomplishment:
9-dart finish

One time moment accomplishment:
7-10 split

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Disagree. that just takes practice. You can't practice for a perfect game. A serve in tennis happens EVERY day/game/set/match. Not difficult in the slightest...
I was talking about every day tasks and comparing it to hitting a fastball.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny this thread came up.

Braden pitched a perfect game today against Tampa.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although a perfect game is the hardest, it seems reliant on help with the teammates playing well. I think Kobes 81 point game is harder to accomplish and I do not think we will see anything like that anymore, especially in a regulation game. Not to mention that the Lakers were actually losing by 14 pts by the 3rd qtr iirc in the 81 pt game. Now that players are more athletic and physical, defense has actually gotten better. From 2000, the last highest point games are 65 in 2007 and 62 in 2005 by Kobe and 62 in 2004 by TMac. No one has come close to 81 pts since Jordans 69 pt game in 1990 and that was in an OT game.

I'm just throwing it out there but for a teama ccomplishment, I don't think Chicago Bulls 72-10 regular season record could be broken.

JoyDiffusion

Reaction score
The only thing I'd put above a perfect game would be shooting a 59 on the PGA tour.

It's happened only 3 times since 1977, compared to 10 perfect games in that span. With an average of 140 players per tournament (half playing 2 rounds, half playing 4), 45 tournaments per year, that's roughly 18,000 rounds per year on the tour, compared to ~4,500 ballgames pitched each year in MLB. Multiply those numbers by 34 years (dating back to '77), then divide by the number of times each has happened (3 for golf, 10 for baseball), and you get one round of 59 in every ~200,000 rounds on tour, compared to one perfect game for every ~15,000 ballgames pitched. Those are just quick estimates, but they're not far off.

As impressive as a perfect game is, statistically speaking, it's much harder to shoot a 59.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads