Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hardest accomplishments in sports

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Davidko19, May 9, 2010.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I think some of the incredibly low percentage shots that tennis players hit, you see them a few times a year, are incredibly difficult. They spend over a decade perfecting their ground strokes and foot work, preparing them for most eventualities, but give them a really tough ball and force them to hit it in a way they have not trained for, with the same level of velocity and placement that they DO train for, is pretty impressive to me.

Have to agree about hitting a baseball, however.

Would have to put the tennis serve up there as well. Consider how much time and effort goes into preparing that. Quite comparable to anything out there.

Disagree. that just takes practice. You can't practice for a perfect game. A serve in tennis happens EVERY day/game/set/match. Not difficult in the slightest...

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^tennis is tough but this thread is about sports.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

How many holes in one are hit every year? What about qualifying this with a certain par for the hole in question? I don't know, that's why I'm asking, but Kunk might want to refer me to the prior post.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

^tennis is tough but this thread is about sports.

Fuck you Kunk.

300 runs or double hat trick in cricket.

5. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

not losing a fight throughout a career in boxing (or any fighting for that matter).

6. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Without a doubt a perfect game. Nothing else really can come close IMO

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

not losing a fight throughout a career in boxing (or any fighting for that matter).

But the question seems to be a one time acomplishment...not over the course of a career.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

motivating nba players is 1a if the perfect game is 1

9. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

But the question seems to be a one time acomplishment...not over the course of a career.

I only read the title and responded. To me thats the hardest accomplishment in sports. period.

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

11. KenN

KenN Senior member

In professional sports

Course of the game accomplishment:
    Perfect game

One time moment accomplishment:
    4 second pit-stop

For us amateurs

Course of the game accomplishment:
    9-dart finish

One time moment accomplishment:
    7-10 split

12. SField

SField Senior member

Disagree. that just takes practice. You can't practice for a perfect game. A serve in tennis happens EVERY day/game/set/match. Not difficult in the slightest...
    I was talking about every day tasks and comparing it to hitting a fastball.

13. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Funny this thread came up.

Braden pitched a perfect game today against Tampa.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Although a perfect game is the hardest, it seems reliant on help with the teammates playing well. I think Kobes 81 point game is harder to accomplish and I do not think we will see anything like that anymore, especially in a regulation game. Not to mention that the Lakers were actually losing by 14 pts by the 3rd qtr iirc in the 81 pt game. Now that players are more athletic and physical, defense has actually gotten better. From 2000, the last highest point games are 65 in 2007 and 62 in 2005 by Kobe and 62 in 2004 by TMac. No one has come close to 81 pts since Jordans 69 pt game in 1990 and that was in an OT game.

I'm just throwing it out there but for a teama ccomplishment, I don't think Chicago Bulls 72-10 regular season record could be broken.

15. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

The only thing I'd put above a perfect game would be shooting a 59 on the PGA tour.

It's happened only 3 times since 1977, compared to 10 perfect games in that span. With an average of 140 players per tournament (half playing 2 rounds, half playing 4), 45 tournaments per year, that's roughly 18,000 rounds per year on the tour, compared to ~4,500 ballgames pitched each year in MLB. Multiply those numbers by 34 years (dating back to '77), then divide by the number of times each has happened (3 for golf, 10 for baseball), and you get one round of 59 in every ~200,000 rounds on tour, compared to one perfect game for every ~15,000 ballgames pitched. Those are just quick estimates, but they're not far off.

As impressive as a perfect game is, statistically speaking, it's much harder to shoot a 59.