Hardest accomplishments in sports

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Davidko19, May 9, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Sorry, these things are not even close to this:

Having the lead in the TdF from start to finish. I'm not sure anyone has led the GC from start to finish.

Also, Eddy Merckx in 1969 is the only rider to win the King of the Mountains, the points and the overall title in the same year.

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

If we're talking about a solitary act it has to be hitting and natural cycle. Single, Double, Triple then Home run. A perfect game is dependant on your fielders. Pitcher's toughest acheivement , 20 K's, Wood, Clemens & Johnson I think in the last 20 years, now that's pretty hard.

3. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Since it's basketball playoffs, I keep thinking basketball. How about the ridiculous quintuple double: double digit points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks. Only officially recorded once at ANY level of basketball. Among common athletic endeavors, the hardest is probably hitting a baseball. You succeed 3 out of 10 and you're a star player.

4. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

This is a really dumb thread.

5. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Just going by the OP, I don't think you can include a soccer hat trick or throwing for 400 yards as anywhere near a comparison to a perfect game. I believe Drogba got a hat trick yesterday for Chelsea. They played Wigan Athletic (they suck) and won 8-0. When a powerhouse plays a shit team, a hat trick by a striker is not a really rare occurrence. As for the 400 yards. If a team has a shit defense and give up alot of points, their offense will be throwing the ball alot as they try to get back in the game. Alot of guys throw for 400 yards in a losing cause.

6. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Would like to add...Four home runs in the same game. Only accomplished 15 times and the same player has never done it twice. It has never been done in a postseason game and 5 home runs in the same game has never been done as well.

7. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

surviving duels

8. LordWanker

LordWanker Senior member

Sorry, these things are not even close to this:

Having the lead in the TdF from start to finish. I'm not sure anyone has led the GC from start to finish.

Also, Eddy Merckx in 1969 is the only rider to win the King of the Mountains, the points and the overall title in the same year.

He is also the only rider to win all of the classifications (overall, mountains and points jerseys) in a single year at the Giro d'Italia (1968). Not quite in the same class as TdF but still impressive.

Even more inspiring, in 1974, he won the Giro d'Italia, the Tour de France and the World Championship Road Race to achieve the "Triple Crown" in cycling. That feat has only been repeated one other time: by Stephen Roche in 1987.

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    How about a 20-strikeout game? Only accomplished three times in a nine-inning game: Roger Clemens (twice), and Kerry Wood. It's actually more indicative of a pitcher's dominance than a perfect game, which relies heavily on the position players behind the pitcher.

Good point on a perfect game being dependent upon fielding.

10. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

ESPN had a stat this morning....

There have been more Perfect Games (19) then either the unassisted Triple Play or 4 Home Run Game.

Unassisted Triple Play usually happens by accident just by being in the right place at the right time. I think the last guy didnt even know he did it.

4 home run games, ok, thats pretty crazy. Delgado was the last guy to do that. Still, thats 4 swings. Albeit monster swings, but not like you have to do it 100 times, like pitching.

11. imightbechad

imightbechad Senior member

12. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

Perfect game is definitely a hard one. Although pitchers do rely on fielders to a point, they still have to throw the right pitches to get hitters to ground out and fly out. The 25 game win season is hard today, but not impossible. Halladay could have a chance to do it this year in my opinion. Denny McLain's 31 win season will never be touched again. Pitchers just don't get as many starts as they used to.

13. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

99 yard rushing touch down. I believe it's only happend once in the NFL with Tony Dorsett.

14. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

^^^ or Cromarties 109 yd return a few years back.

David Wells drunken no-no a while back was cool.

I'd argue that the 58 that Ishikawa kid shot on the Japanese pro tour is tougher than a perfect game, its the only 58 ever shot in professional competition.

Many here would probably disagree with me, but I'd say the greatest personal feat is Reinhold Messners solo-ascent of Mt. Everest without oxygen in 1980. He's the only person to ever do it, I believe.

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Don't forget about Jason Elam 63 yard field goal. I don't think I could make one from the 20.