• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hard-wearing cloth suggestions for suits

Barcelona Jones

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a search and found no specific threads on this (please point me to them if there are).

I am considering a couple of suits to be made, to wear to work. It would be more of a "sports" suit idea, if you get my meaning; smart enough to look dressy, but casual enough for field work. My job involves both office and field work.

So, I would like to know what kind of cloth would you suggest that is hard wearing, both as to strenght and as to soiling, and, at the same time, appropriate for a suit (or suit
jacket with odd trousers combination).

If there are suggestions for both cold and warm weather, all the better!

Thanks in advance.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
600-colbert-span1.jpg

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You must decide first what kind of fabrics you want your suit to be made of...
Worsted ,flannel,tweed? What weight do you need?
Lesser is offering great classic fabrics for suitings...
You can also look at Smith ,Harrisons of Edinburgh ,Scabal ,Hooland&Sherry or Fox...
They're all offering very good fabrics and have great boks adapted to your quest...
I personally think that you can go for a 13 ounces good old fashioned worsted..
Some people will tell you to get a 11 or 12 ounces but 13 is very versatile...

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
You should be able to find what you are looking for within H. Lesser's and Smith Woollens' books.

If you want a long-lasting cloth, I would advise getting anything lighter than13 oz., but that may depend on local conditions. A more "porous" cloth might help, even at a 13 oz.+ weight.

Why not ask your tailor?

Frog in Suit

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking no fancy super cloths, your maximum should be super 100.
Also consider mohair for warm weather, it's very crease resistant.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Avoid the super 150's and so on...
They tend to be more fragile...
Go to your tailor and look through the books ,you will love it...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Avoid the super 150's and so on...
They tend to be more fragile...
Go to your tailor and look through the books ,you will love it...

+1

If the fabric says 'super' anything stay away from it. They are soft and nice looking but wont wear.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrary to popular opinion, Irish linen in a substantial weight (11 oz or more) is quite durable. And it would work well in your context. For winter consider a Donegal tweed.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A heavyweight Fresco, about 14 oz, might be worth a shot or even a heavyweight worsted twill. The only problem here is whether you would be limited by such weigh, i.e. whether you live in a hot climate. A heavier Fresco will wear cooler than a similarly-heavy (or light) worsted, as long as it is lined accordingly (read as little as possible). A Fresco a few oz more will wear just as cool as a 'tropical' worsted that is lighter in weight and will last a bit longer, too, relatively speaking.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anything higher than 100 too soft?

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frog in Suit
You should be able to find what you are looking for within H. Lesser's and Smith Woollens' books.

If you want a long-lasting cloth, I would advise getting anything lighter than13 oz., but that may depend on local conditions. A more "porous" cloth might help, even at a 13 oz.+ weight.

Why not ask your tailor?

Frog in Suit

I think what you meant to say was "If you want a long lasting cloth, I would advise getting anything heavier than 13-ounces". Everybody (or, at least everybody on the clothing forums) knows extremely well that the heavier weight a cloth is, the longer it would last. The lighter weight a cloth is the less long it will last. You implied that it is the other way around.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
I think what you meant to say was "If you want a long lasting cloth, I would advise getting anything heavier than 13-ounces". Everybody (or, at least everybody on the clothing forums) knows extremely well that the heavier weight a cloth is, the longer it would last. The lighter weight a cloth is the less long it will last. You implied that it is the other way around.

You are correct of course. I should have re-read my post. Apologies.

Frog in Suit

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100's birdseye holds up pretty well for me. So does donegal tweed of dubious origin

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reid and Taylor Silver Gander: 17oz hard finish worsted. Bulletproof and 3 season wearable.

Summer is harder. How does fresco wear?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member