• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand lasted vs machine lasted

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoelesina
Apropos- you can't follow my friend... I was speaking of your brain
But you're a cordwainer, wtf do you know about brains or otherwise evaluating their size or function? That's right, nothing! You don't get a say in this because it's not your profession! Perhaps now I should clamber onto my (professional) pedestal, and tell you how stupid you are, and you should accept it without question because - hey guess what - it's my profession! Or wait, do different rules apply here?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh there goes BigBreasts, I noticed that with your one liners just chiming in without anything to contribute you're soon going to reach 10,000 that will be a milestone for you, will they issue you with a (S--dF..er) certificate of achievement?

Apropos- you can't follow my friend... I was speaking of your brain

Link still doesn't work. Would you like more help?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Wow. Everytime I think SF can't get stupider... it does.

facepalm.gif

What was stupid about what he said?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Evening update so far:

1. Just picked up sweet Celtics tickets at silent auction.

2. Posted crying Indian painting in an iammatt thread.

3. Was worried briefly that Saint Crispin's were about to explode, despite hand make. Turns out, there was some rubbery hors d'Å“uvre someone lost stuck to one sole. So, so far, so good.

Will post again if any new shoe developments occur this evening.

- B

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
That factory shoe is not only soul-less but also immoral, behind it there's more than just cut-corners, there are skilled workers in Italy deprived of a fair income and exploiting low wage labor in a third world country just to improve the margin of profit even further. That's your factory shoe, at best it cuts corners in production, but is still priced as if handmade or near, at worst it exploits people who can't buy them.

Wow. Everytime I think SF can't get stupider... it does.

facepalm.gif

+1

I love how the morality of factory shoes has popped into the mix.

By the way, here's a few pics of a local boot factory that I walked through, which typically has 20 or so workers in it:

(pics courtesy of jbhilltexas.com)

hands-and-heel.jpg

carving-the-toe.jpg

stitching-the-boot.jpg

lemon-pegs.jpg

hammer_heel.jpg

hands-crimping.jpg

So there's your factory shoe (boot in this case).

So tell me, DW and agoelesina, what corners are being cut? ....Since of course, you've been to every shoe/boot factory, know every worker, and can speak for them, including their thoughts at any given moment.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Evening update so far:

3. Was worried briefly that Saint Crispin's were about to explode, despite hand make. Turns out, there was some rubbery hors d'Å“uvre someone lost stuck to one sole. So, so far, so good.

B -
Watch out, as Rumanian-made shoes they may be prone to explosion per our new member agoatsena... You will need to wear a St. Negrila medal.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
B -
Watch out, as Rumanian-made shoes they may be prone to explosion per our new member agoatsena... You will need to wear a St. Negrila medal.

I believe that he will travel worldwide, just like Lauwers.

- B

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know whether this will come too late or be seen as too little... But I want to apologize to the whole forum for my part in what has turned into a nasty discussion. I don't feel that my remarks provided the major impulse for this turn of events but I can't escape some responsibility. I don't like being attacked personally and I have been known to become somewhat intemperate when that happens. But it is a response not an assault...and in that context it is understandable, I think--anyone has the right to defend themselves. I have tried to be objective about the issues I address. I understand that some people feel far more attached to their shoes than I can begin to understand. To me...from my point of view...this is simply incomprehensible--it's not like I'm kicking someone's dog or smacking their children. A consumer, no matter how poorly informed, is not responsible for the quality (good or bad) of their shoe. Shoes are objects, and boughten objects at that with no intrinsic emotional connection to their owners. Enough...I don't intend to revive this debate...in fact I am, as of this moment, unsubscribed. For those who want an apology from me...nothing is easier. Although I stand behind the observations and the POV of everything I have said, I apologize for not recognizing the attachments and the sense personal investment some have in their shoes. I apologize for any offense I might have given. I apologize for the discomfort my remarks have caused. I am sorry to see the way a reasonable, relatively objective, and edifying discussion has degenerated. Yet I think I have learned something even in the midst of all the white-noise. In fact, I'm going to go out and buy a bottle of blended Scotch and a poly-viscose suit just so I can get a sense of what I've been missing.
tongue.gif
Tioraidh

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Blended Scotch has its place.

More srsly, I apologize for goading the easily led (not meaning DW) and contributing to this flareup.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Evening update so far:

Will post again if any new shoe developments occur this evening.

- B

Have fun at the game. I heard the Celt's are getting old but got a new jumper from NY. Good luck! Regarding your Crispin's, and the hores d' ceurve stuck to the sole, does that constitute a rubber sole to you?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Have fun at the game. I heard the Celt's are getting old but got a new jumper from NY. Good luck! Regarding your Crispin's, and the hores d' ceurve stuck to the sole, does that constitute a rubber sole to you?

Thank you.

We prefer the term, "sole guard."

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Blended Scotch has its place.

More srsly, I apologize for goading the easily led (not meaning DW) and contributing to this flareup.

I apologize to you for not apologizing before you apologized.

The Famous Grouse is pretty good before tossing the kaber.

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I apologize to you for not apologizing before you apologized.

The Famous Grouse is pretty good before tossing the kaber.

- B

Baillie Nicol Jarvie is a favorite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads