1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hand lasted vs machine lasted

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tidybeard, Feb 23, 2010.

1. furo

furo Senior member

I was wondering why they were ticking

[​IMG]

2. furo

furo Senior member

What of $700 Vass? Even comes with lasted trees.

I know: I just blew your mind.

- B

Even bigger mind-blower-upper:

Vass are made in a factory

3. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Interesting word, this 'factory'. It comes from 'manufactory', a place where something is made by hand.

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

Interesting word, this 'factory'. It comes from 'manufactory', a place where something is made by hand.
    [​IMG]

5. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

One version of John Henry - abridged.

6. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Nice theory, but lacks any factual basis.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Nice theory, but lacks any factual basis.
    Actually: man·u·fac·to·ry / mænyəˈfæktəri/ [man-yuh-fak-tuh-ree] –noun, plural -ries. Archaic. a factory. Origin: 1610–20; obs. manufact - handmade (< LL manūfact(us); see manus, fact) + -ory2

8. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Actually:

man·u·fac·to·ry
    / mænyəˈfæktəri/ [man-yuh-fak-tuh-ree]
    -noun, plural -ries. Archaic.
    a factory.

Origin:
    1610-20; obs. manufact - handmade (< LL manūfact(us); see manus, fact) + -ory2

Yes - I have a dictionary too. What is your point?

9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Yes - I have a dictionary too. What is your point?
    I have no point, just a fact. Do you have a point?

10. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

I have no point, just a fact. Do you have a point?

[​IMG] Factory does not "[come] from 'manufactory'".

Nice theory, but no basis in fact, actually.

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

[​IMG] Factory does not "[come] from 'manufactory'".

Nice theory, but no basis in fact, actually.

In a strictly literal sense it appears that you are right; factory predates manufactory by some time, but had a rather different meaning until at about the time when manufactory emerges by a compounding of and manufact (handmade) with -ory (place), to mean, depending on context, "something that is made by manual labor", "the production of manufactured goods, and "the place where things are made by hand". Contemporary with this meaning, "factory" evolves from "office for agents (factors), or "real estate office" to come to mean "a place where things are made". It would be rather strange if this change arose spontaneously without any connection to the concurrent evolution of a closely related word.

12. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

In a strictly literal sense it appears that you are right; factory predates manufactory by some time, but had a rather different meaning until at about the time when manufactory emerges by a compounding of and manufact (handmade) with -ory (place), to mean, depending on context, "something that is made by manual labor", "the production of manufactured goods, and "the place where things are made by hand". Contemporary with this meaning, "factory" evolves from "office for agents (factors), or "real estate office" to come to mean "a place where things are made". It would be rather strange if this change arose spontaneously without any connection to the concurrent evolution of a closely related word.

[​IMG]

The use of 'factory' as a place for munufacture predates te use of 'manufactory' as a place of manufacture.

13. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

Me don't think that right,
    Vass made in small workshop.
    No many machine use in Vass.

14. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

[​IMG] The use of 'factory' as a place for munufacture predates te use of 'manufactory' as a place of manufacture.
    It should also not be missed that the words "munufacture" and "te" are so futuristic as to have not yet been invented (at least in English), which is impressive. If you're going to be a pedant...... May I just take this opportunity to thank whoever rated my thread one star? It's my first star and has made me feel special. Thanks. Edit - someone just changed it to two stars. I applaud your sense of humour, sir :)