• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand lasted vs machine lasted

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton
This is the most inane and useless thread I have ever seen. This artiticial conflict between men and machines can only be debated by those that do not understand 1) what modern manufacturing machines are capable of and 2) how shoes are actually made. In an era where so few have ever stepped foot into a manufacturing operation, I am not suprised. The beauty of hand made shoes is that they are hand made--they are creations of the mind of the maker, the craftsmen. Those craftsmen cannot compete with the perfection that a machine can create. To discuss these things in threads likes this is to debase both the craftsman and the maker of the machine--who is also a craftsman.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
This is more or less what I've been saying, no?

No. M. Foo, you equate obvious flaws, which clearly should be caught in QC (and which shoes should then be sold as seconds), as personal touches of the shoemaker. A silly and false argument which should not be made by one who spends 40 pages or so ripping on a suit maker for imperfections in a shoulder. Tsk. Tsk. Quite hyporcrital. No. The argument goes like this: One could make a perfect replication of the mona lisa with a machine. One cannot make the orignal mona lisa with a machine--at least not yet. Quirks of design or limitations of human dexterity are interesting, obvious flaws are not. To be specific, confusing Alden's lack of quality control with craftsmenship is silliness.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am listening to live, hand and mouth made music now. I am waiting for cow-made steak and hen-made eggs...cooked by hand, but in machine made pans.

I am sitting on a machine made stool. I am posting from a Chinese-made mobile phone, but non Chinese people designed and market it. Indian people are the friendly voice of tech support.

I do not know if any hands were involved in the last part, bit I do know that Al Gore made tour ability to read what I just dictated possible.

- B

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

I do not know if any hands were involved in the last part, bit I do know that Al Gore made tour ability to read what I just dictated possible.

- B

al_gore_on_futurama.png

Insight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I too must apologize, having stayed out of this thread entirely. But Vox has done a good job playing me, arguing the very un-SF point that quality improvements and artisinal handwork are largely irrelevant if they don't have a practical, measurable impact on an item's use and lifespan.

I take DWF's point, but, in the end, conclude I still come out ahead if I must replace five $500 EGs to obtain the period of service from one entirely handmade $5,000 shoe.

Somehow, though, I doubt the gemming failure rate is that high.

Where are you getting $500 EG's?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
B&S, Grapevinehill, eBay, etc. But even if you bump it up to $700, the EG sale price, the comparison still stands.

Heck, it stands even if you bump it up to full retail.

What of $700 Vass? Even comes with lasted trees.

I know: I just blew your mind.

- B

BBC

Reaction score
So my NOS Bostonian Crown Windsors stamped "Hand Lasted" on the sole are better than EGs?!
bigstar[1].gif

mercy006.jpg

BBC

Reaction score
I was wondering why they were ticking

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Vass are made in a factory

Interesting word, this 'factory'. It comes from 'manufactory', a place where something is made by hand.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One version of John Henry - abridged.

John Henry started on the right-hand side,
And the steam drill started on the left.
He said, "Before I'd let that steam drill beat me down,
I'd hammer my fool self to death,
Oh, I'd hammer my fool self to death."

The steam drill started at half past six,
John Henry started the same time.
John Henry stuck bottom at half past eight,
And the steam drill didn't bottom till nine,
Oh, the steam drill didn't bottom till nine.

John Henry said to his captain,
"A man, he ain't nothing but a man,
Before I'd let that steam drill beat me down,
Oh, I'd die with the hammer in my hand."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads