• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halston anyone? Help a newbie

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Pierre Cardin has over 300 different types of products with his name on it.

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

Why would anyone still be holding a license for Pierre Cardin, the brand is so cheap that holding it is a liability.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harvey Weinstien bought the Halston about 2 months ago naming Tamara Mellon (of Jimmy Choo) the president and Rachael Zoe (stylist that "created" BoHo) a creative consultant. This has nothing to do with the men's license; but, this is in terms of reviving the Saks/Neiman Marcus/Bergdorf Goodman level of women's couture.
Tie this with a movie starring Alec Baldwin, fashion's love of all things pop-culture nostalgic, and you have a label resurgence akin to John Travolta's after Pulp Fiction. Didn't Lauren Hutton do ads for the label back in the 80s?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you saying this Pierre Cardin Deluxe Multi-Function Emergency Car Light is crap?? I beg to differ, sir.

05d1_1_b.JPG

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why American designers (or the brand owners) have such difficulty managing their brands when they go mass market, with Ralph Lauren and Donna Karan (and may be Calvin Klein) the only exceptions. Even the very talented Narcisco Rodriguez had to sell his name to Liz Claiborne. Geoffrey Beene, Oscar de la Renta, Halston and Bill Blass were all venerable names, now can only be found in 3rd-tier dept. stores or discount outlets. Beene even had a couture store overlooking the Grand Army Plaza across from the Central Park.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
von Rothbart;538686 said:
Geoffrey Beene, Oscar de la Renta, Halston and Bill Blass were all venerable names, now can only be found in 3rd-tier dept. stores or discount outlets. QUOTE]

Oscar de la Renta and Bill Blass are carried at Saks and you'd be hard pressed to find a skirt suit for less than $3,500 and you can have your pick of the litter of evening gowns from $7,000-$15,000.

I know Oscar has the Macy's men's license and maybe even a women's (both of which I believe are called Oscar or O Oscar de la Renta)...I'm not sure if Bill Blass has anything else out there.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is really rad.
bounce2.gif
thumbs-up.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Harvey Weinstien bought the Halston about 2 months ago naming Tamara Mellon (of Jimmy Choo) the president and Rachael Zoe (stylist that "created" BoHo) a creative consultant. This has nothing to do with the men's license; but, this is in terms of reviving the Saks/Neiman Marcus/Bergdorf Goodman level of women's couture.

Nobody likes Rachel Zoe. Any whore can be a stylist these days.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I don't understand why American designers (or the brand owners) have such difficulty managing their brands when they go mass market, with Ralph Lauren and Donna Karan (and may be Calvin Klein) the only exceptions. Even the very talented Narcisco Rodriguez had to sell his name to Liz Claiborne. Geoffrey Beene, Oscar de la Renta, Halston and Bill Blass were all venerable names, now can only be found in 3rd-tier dept. stores or discount outlets. Beene even had a couture store overlooking the Grand Army Plaza across from the Central Park.

Years ago, I intorduced myself to Geoffrey beene at the Farmers Market in Union square. He was there every Wed. picking out food for his dinner parties. He had me make some shirts and Boxer shorts for the 5th ave store which is now the home of Dominco Vacca.

His department store shirt and tie lines, were the largest selling desinger labels at Macys/federated at one point in time. He actually approved all of the designs and patterns that went into production. he did not just wait for the check. the reason it was so successful was that this fantastic designer actually was involved in his liscense.

Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads